1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PSI for different conditions?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Fightnfire, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jun 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire [OP] Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    I'm relatively green in both my Tacoma and off roading in general. I have spent a fair amount of time in other trucks in snow/ice/mud etc. but the thoughts of airing down, or up, never occurred to me.

I found recommendations for sand but I'm not having any luck searching for recommendations for snow/ice/mud etc.

Any advice? Also, how far is it considered ok to drive to air up at 10-15 psi? I will be looking into getting a compressor to throw in the truck when we're heading to the beach, but just in case.

Sand - 8-15 seems to be what I am reading

Snow - Is this different for 4-6" of fresh snow over ice compared to 12-20" of powder over gravel or ice? This is the majority of what I will be off roading in as I live in Seattle and regularly go over our mountain passes to the east side of the state. Typically the roads will be compact snow and ice, but I like to play in the snow :D

Mud - ?

Rocks -

Thanks!

2. Jun 24, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I would say especially for someone new who can't judge conditions as well to stick to 15 for pretty much everything.

I will air down to 10 sometimes in soft fresh powdery snow. I stick to higher 12 - 15 for harder packed snow. About 15 or so for most rocks and trails.

Just my .02

YMMV

I wouldn't drive on road at all.

3. Jun 24, 2011 at 3:20 PM
    UMBCrew

UMBCrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Central Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 6" Pro Comp Stage II
    6" Pro Comp Stage II, 305/65r17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT, Pro Comp 7033 17x9s, AFe Stage 2 Si, All-Pro Rear Bumper, Ultra-Guage, Kenwood KDC-X895, Kicker 6.5 2 ways
    Just remember when you do drive on the road at a lower pressure to keep your speed down. the lower your tire pressure the slower you should be going on the road but still always try to get to a compressor or service station as soon as possible to air up.

I never really air down in the snow or ice but I have always carried chains no matter how good a 4 wheel drive or how good or big of tires. I may be wrong but i was always under the impression that in snow and ice the same goes for mud you actually want a smaller tire footprint so that your tires cut through down to the road or in mud down past the mud into to hard dirt. The exact opposite for sand, i do a lot of sand driving and you air down so that you float on top. I guess soft powdery snow might similar to sand but hard snow and ice I personally do not want to float on. Carry good chains either way they can literally be a lifesaver.

4. Jun 25, 2011 at 8:21 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    '

Off road in the deep stuff you want flotation. On road yes.

5. Jul 11, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    cdub2002

cdub2002 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gresham-Corvallis Oregon
    Vehicle:
    White 2002 Tacoma SR5 trying to be TRD worthy
    Bullet Grill, Hella 500ffs, 3" suspension lift, 33" goodyear wranglers, Flowmaster 40 series, Cobra CB, debadged, Kenwood cd, infinity sound, 12" sub. husky tool box...
    I live south east of Portland Oregon and drive to snowboard on Mt. Hood a lot every winter. I always bought good tires for me vehicles (jeep, 4runner, jeep, now tacoma!) just because of this. I never aired down or used chains once in the last 5 years of driving. I will air down this coming winter just to see how my truck does cuz a truck on snow and ice is way different than those SUVs and manual vs automatic makes it more tricky yet more fun.

On my truck I am running Goodyear Duratracs which so far havent let me down.
    All very good advice from you guys so far tho

6. Jul 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Most deep/ dry sand will need deflating... 15 psi is the place to start... If the truck struggles... then drop it to 10. GET a pump before you deflate! $50-$80 for a good one that connects to the battery. They are 3 times faster than the cig. lighter powered ones. (6 psi per minute vs. 2 psi per minute)

I did mud and snow at street pressure with my new Hankook Dynapro ATm's last Feb. without a problem. I don't do as much mud and snow as others here, however.

7. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    I run 15psi for most situations. In soft stuff (sand, mud, etc.) I will go 10-12. Dropping psi also makes the ride so much better off road. It takes the harshness out of washboard

I have the MV50. Cost around $50 and its a great compressor for the money. Used it many times and its pretty fast.

8. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    TacoTaro

TacoTaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    King Coilovers, Light Racing UCA, OME Dakar leafs w/ extra leaf and SB10" Bilstein 7100's and a U-bolt flip. 4.56's, eLocker rear, ARB front, Marlin rear bumper, ARB Bull Bar w/ Warn M8000. BAMF Sliders. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. Tundra front brakes. Manual hub conversion with functioning ABS. SCS F-5's w/ 255/85 Toyo MT's
    This one. [​IMG]

9. Jul 12, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Looks like one I have too... Tsunami MV50, recent addition. I also have the Harbor Frieght unit 'General Pneumatic'... it is a bit faster, but the wire gets very hot and melts fuses!

10. Oct 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

Products Discussed in

To Top