Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

New body style in snow?

Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Question New body style in snow?

I got a new 2008 taco back in may when i lost my 99' to the recall, i was wondering how the new tacos went in deep snow/mud because my buddies and i offroad on old logging roads and stuff in the winter... I dont have the trd any more just a base package taco!!
Old 11-08-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
roddy1 is on a distinguished road

roddy1's Tacoma Gallery
alot of this will weigh on your tires, and whether or not you have the L/S diff.. and im assuming your 4WD?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^^^yep. tires and traction aids like limited slips and lockers are gonna make or break ya when the going gets tough.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys!... I will be running the stock tires this winter but even with them the truck seems to do pretty good i havent had it in any serious situations yet but what i have done it seem good!! Also my taco is a base pakage i know they don't have lockers like the trd but i do notice that the rear end spins both tires on my taco??? Does it have limited slip or not??
Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Stock tires suck in snow! Get some weight in the back (like 300lbs at least) especially if you don't have 4wd. Mine was all over the road with just a light dusting of snow on the road. Tread packed full, didn't clean out, and it was snow on snow. So no traction. No problems and no extra weight after I swapped tires.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

I got 4wd,,, i would love to get new tires but with college money is tight!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
i hear ya there! money's pretty tight for me too, im having to look into some financial aid now so i can continue to pay for school.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
i hear ya there! Money's pretty tight for me too, im having to look into some financial aid now so i can continue to pay for school.
sucks!!!! I know how you feel!!:d just gotta keep on keep'n on!
Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TRDMAN- View Post
4wd will help! Just put it in 4wd as soon as you see white on the road and you'll be ok. Best if you can find a snow covered parking lot somewhere to practice in and see how it handles.

OH!! And the ABS SUCKS!!! You'll want to learn to threshold brake or the ABS will kick in, make a shit load of noise, and cause the truck to slide. Try it on some gravel or loose dirt NOW before the snow flies so you know wtf I'm talking about.

There's an ABS kill switch mod in the thread in my sig if you're interested. Yes I did it, and yes I use it.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM   #10

very true, the Tacoma's ABS is horrible in the snow. i almost rear ended a friend while out 4 wheelin in the mountain because he stopped suddenly but my ABS kicked in and i just kept on goin. i ended up reaching down and yanking my parking brake on and that locked up my wheels. stopped me just in time.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme450 View Post
very true, the Tacoma's ABS is horrible in the snow. i almost rear ended a friend while out 4 wheelin in the mountain because he stopped suddenly but my ABS kicked in and i just kept on goin. i ended up reaching down and yanking my parking brake on and that locked up my wheels. stopped me just in time.
Yeah, I had the locker anytime mod done first so I'd use that just to turn off the ABS until I wired in the kill switch. Slid too many times just pulling into my gravel parking lot at my old apartment. Low speed and the ABS still kicked in. Real bad with kids running around and lots of cars parked nearby. And forget about it when the mud puddles froze over. The tires acted just like stones skipping over water.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #12

I have noticed the abs sucks on dirt!!!! this is the first vehicle i have ever owned with it and i don't like it!!! I want to control my brakes not a damn computer!!!!