Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Question before I buy a winch

Old 10-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ajviper7's Tacoma Gallery
Question before I buy a winch

Tomorrow I am going to order my winch setup for my truck. I am going with the Warn Trans4mer and a Warn M8000. My question is, with the added weight of the winch and the mount, will I need to re-level the front end to get it back up to factory height? I'm not looking to make it perfectly level, just how it was before the winch. If I do need to re-level, would a front set of Bilstein 5100's do the trick? Thanks for any input.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajviper7 View Post
Tomorrow I am going to order my winch setup for my truck. I am going with the Warn Trans4mer and a Warn M8000. My question is, with the added weight of the winch and the mount, will I need to re-level the front end to get it back up to factory height? I'm not looking to make it perfectly level, just how it was before the winch. If I do need to re-level, would a front set of Bilstein 5100's do the trick? Thanks for any input.
a set of 5100's may do the trick.....but i think they would wear out pretty quick with alot of weight. you may be better off and in the long run buying a set of ome coils that will give you extra height and accomodate for the extra weight. just my thoughts.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #3
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks Tacomaman. Another question though, what is the difference between the M8000 12v and the M8000 24v? Thanks
Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks Tacomaman. Another question though, what is the difference between the M8000 12v and the M8000 24v? Thanks
as far as winches go......honestly, im not sure.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The difference is one is driven by a single 12 volt battery and the other is powered by 2 batteries in series or on a heavier duty application where the powerplant runs on 24 volts. Stick with the 12 volt one and you'll be fine. I would recommend though to save a little weight go with some Amsteel synthetic line. The 5/16" 100 foot is $180 and will support up to 13,700lbs. If you go that route get an aluminum hawse fairlead for it.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
The difference is one is driven by a single 12 volt battery and the other is powered by 2 batteries in series or on a heavier duty application where the powerplant runs on 24 volts. Stick with the 12 volt one and you'll be fine. I would recommend though to save a little weight go with some Amsteel synthetic line. The 5/16" 100 foot is $180 and will support up to 13,700lbs. If you go that route get an aluminum hawse fairlead for it.
Thanks Banshee! That helps a lot. I'll definately look into that synthetic line.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
The difference is speed. A 24v system will spin the motor faster. Dual batteries in 12v mode means you can spin it longer.

I second synthetic line, I am running Masterpull Superline, rated at 21000 lbs. I'm not worried about it breaking and the first 20 feet of it are heat resistant, something to think about since the drum gets very hot and can melt normal synthetic line. Good winch choice though. Can't wait to see it mounted on the transformer.
The bad thing is a our rigs run on 12 volts and trying to rig up a 24 volt system to power a 24 volt winch would be a task. You would have to isolate the entire vehicles electrical system before to applied power to the winch.

Melt normal synthetic line? Where did you read that? I'll stick by this guys testimonial to Amsteel.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #8

I went down today to get a quote on the trans4mer and the M8000. The place I went to quoted out the door at $2100 with labor. Does this seem a little expensive or is it about right?