LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trail Gear Sliders vrs Everyone else!

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
you got to remember with the TG you have to weld all the supports then weld to the truck and what not. it takes alot more work to allign the "legs???" up, then weld the gussets then weld to the truck ya know what i mean? thats why they are so cheap.

TW members also get 20% off through avid

Avids and most others come ready to weld onto the truck
TG also sells a fully welded set of sliders, I would add the gussets as well though. They're $209 for a set on TG's website.

Very bottom of this page
Old 07-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #22
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
My TG sliders have been awesome. They've paid for themselves many times over. I've hit rocks hard, used them to pivot, ect... still not a single dent in the sliders.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #23
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
TG also sells a fully welded set of sliders, I would add the gussets as well though. They're $209 for a set on TG's website.

Very bottom of this page

i stand corrected, but you would need to order the gussets (25 bucks) not much at all, and have those welded as well. but still pretty cheap.

they also only have 3... "legs?" on them. i would think 4 would be better to help support the weight of the truck.

so through TG with gussets not welded its about 235 before shipping, and with 1 less leg.
avid with the 20% discount is 270 with 4 legs and gussets on all 8 legs.

i do not know the durability of the TG sliders but i do know the durability of the avid sliders. thats why i recommend avid. 35 bucks more for sliders that "in theory" would hold more weight and a bigger hit, with gussets already welded. sounds like 35 more bucks well spent.

EDIT: wait, shit. the sliders at the bottom have 4 legs and have the gussets and are DOM for 200 and some change. my bad. Ignore above...
Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #24
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
Derp. I am still following this thread for some reason.

Three weeks ago I went to a Toyota meet. There was around 20ish rigs there and majority of them had some TG parts or saw TG parts in action. In two weeks from now, I am headed back for another meet, lead by a local TG vendor. I do not have anything bad to say about them.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i stand corrected, but you would need to order the gussets (25 bucks) not much at all, and have those welded as well. but still pretty cheap.

they also only have 3... "legs?" on them. i would think 4 would be better to help support the weight of the truck.

so through TG with gussets not welded its about 235 before shipping, and with 1 less leg.
avid with the 20% discount is 270 with 4 legs and gussets on all 8 legs.

i do not know the durability of the TG sliders but i do know the durability of the avid sliders. thats why i recommend avid. 35 bucks more for sliders that "in theory" would hold more weight and a bigger hit, with gussets already welded. sounds like 35 more bucks well spent.

EDIT: wait, shit. the sliders at the bottom have 4 legs and have the gussets and are DOM for 200 and some change. my bad. Ignore above...
Yeah, you can get them with 3 or 4 legs depending on length. My Dcab 78" sliders from TG came with 4 legs.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #26
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
A slider is a Slider. Unless you have them made out of SQ tube it will dent if you wheel it. my sliders have quite a few dents in the bottom and they are "USA" steel.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #27
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I wish more vendors made square tube and hybrid sliders. Anyone know if eric uses dom or hrew? I should probably just ask him but while I'm here...
Old 07-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #28
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60158.0
look at this.

AVID USES USA HREW, stronger than more places dom. just a fyi
Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #29
signguy is on a distinguished road
signguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60158.0
look at this.

AVID USES USA HREW, stronger than more places dom. just a fyi
i posted that and aparently no-one cares and its shady to post links to a site like that.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #30
toyotacrawlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Trip
toyotacrawlin's Tacoma Gallery
Trail Gear is all chinese crap.. thats why they are cheap... made with cheap metal..
get a USA brand.... All Pro Off Road makes sliders for less than 300 bucks that are american made heavy duty steel.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #32
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacrawlin View Post
Trail Gear is all chinese crap.. thats why they are cheap... made with cheap metal..
get a USA brand.... All Pro Off Road makes sliders for less than 300 bucks that are american made heavy duty steel.
If you haven't ever used the TG sliders you can STFU because you don't know what you're talking about. I've been abusing TG sliders on my FZJ80 for 8 years with zero problems. I've been beating the crap out of my TG sliders on my Tacoma for almost 4 years with zero problems.

Only an idiot would pay double for something else that offers no additional benefit. Sorry.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
i have TG sliders on my 2nd gen, and im happy with them. they are DOM steel tubing, and have been strong as fuck so far... for a comparable set of DOM steel tubing sliders from anyone else was almost double the price...
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #34
shit happens then you die
jobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shedjobrien is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Josh
jobrien's Tacoma Gallery
on tg I cant tell on their site, but are the sliders universal? 1st gen vs 2nd gen?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #35
no time for d-bags

Depends on if you weld them on or not. If you use the bolt on ones for the 2nd Gen they will be different
Old 05-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #36
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
on tg I cant tell on their site, but are the sliders universal? 1st gen vs 2nd gen?
no they have second gen sliders, all bolt on. but im not sure about the reg cab....
Old 05-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #37
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacrawlin View Post
wrong. when you buy in huge quantities like TG does you can get the metal a LOT cheaper than a small fab shop can. that is why they are cheaper. pure and simple. I have the TG high strength DOM tubing sliders and i have bashed on those things and they have held firm in place and saved my truck plenty of times.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #38
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I can't speak to the quality of TG sliders, but I avoid buying their products due to what I perceive to be shady business practices. There have been a few designs released by other vendors that have been exactly copied by trail gear. As an engineer and a wanna be fabricator, I choose not to support companies that take part in that kind of business practice.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #39
no time for d-bags

So kinds like those CBI sliders you have that the only difference with the TG ones are the small vertical hoop to protect your bedside? There are only so many ways to build the same thing.

Not trying to be a jerk Lumpskie. I'm in a similar boat to you. You build your own stuff when you can, so do I. I try hard to build things with my own designs, but the fact of it is there are ways of doing things that are just proven methods. Whether it be sliders, or birfields, or skid plates, it really doesn't matter. I have seen a number of guys on this board who have copied my bedracks, or my roof rack, or how I built my bumper. If I wanted that stuff protected from anyone doing that I'd need to trademark or patent it. Otherwise people have the freedom to do what they want with it.

Now I don't disagree with you about not supporting business when you don't agree with their practices. I think there is a long history of drama when it comes to TG and Marlin and AllPro and a bunch of others who developed similar products for the same market. I know there was a time where there was some shady crap going on. I refused to buy from them during that period as well. But the individuals involved in that are no longer there.

Sorry I don't want to turn this into a discussion about this company or that company. Everyone is free to do what they want with their trucks and use whatever products they like best.

Bottom line for me is that I've had a great experience with all of the TG products I have. Same goes for the AP products, and Marlin products, and ARB products..... I just pick and choose carefully which products from each company I decide to use. Fortunately it has worked out well for me so far.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #40

650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
So kinds like those CBI sliders you have that the only difference with the TG ones are the small vertical hoop to protect your bedside? There are only so many ways to build the same thing.

Not trying to be a jerk Lumpskie. I'm in a similar boat to you. You build your own stuff when you can, so do I. I try hard to build things with my own designs, but the fact of it is there are ways of doing things that are just proven methods. Whether it be sliders, or birfields, or skid plates, it really doesn't matter. I have seen a number of guys on this board who have copied my bedracks, or my roof rack, or how I built my bumper. If I wanted that stuff protected from anyone doing that I'd need to trademark or patent it. Otherwise people have the freedom to do what they want with it.

Now I don't disagree with you about not supporting business when you don't agree with their practices. I think there is a long history of drama when it comes to TG and Marlin and AllPro and a bunch of others who developed similar products for the same market. I know there was a time where there was some shady crap going on. I refused to buy from them during that period as well. But the individuals involved in that are no longer there.

Sorry I don't want to turn this into a discussion about this company or that company. Everyone is free to do what they want with their trucks and use whatever products they like best.

Bottom line for me is that I've had a great experience with all of the TG products I have. Same goes for the AP products, and Marlin products, and ARB products..... I just pick and choose carefully which products from each company I decide to use. Fortunately it has worked out well for me so far.

X2