Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trail Gear Sliders vrs Everyone else!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #41
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacrawlin View Post
Trail Gear is all chinese crap.. thats why they are cheap... made with cheap metal..
get a USA brand.... All Pro Off Road makes sliders for less than 300 bucks that are american made heavy duty steel.
My TG bumpers are solid and have taken abuse without problems. I probably would have went with TG sliders if they sold them with kickouts. All Pro and heavy duty should not be in the same sentence imo.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #42
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
So kinds like those CBI sliders you have that the only difference with the TG ones are the small vertical hoop to protect your bedside? There are only so many ways to build the same thing.

Not trying to be a jerk Lumpskie. I'm in a similar boat to you. You build your own stuff when you can, so do I. I try hard to build things with my own designs, but the fact of it is there are ways of doing things that are just proven methods. Whether it be sliders, or birfields, or skid plates, it really doesn't matter. I have seen a number of guys on this board who have copied my bedracks, or my roof rack, or how I built my bumper. If I wanted that stuff protected from anyone doing that I'd need to trademark or patent it. Otherwise people have the freedom to do what they want with it.

Now I don't disagree with you about not supporting business when you don't agree with their practices. I think there is a long history of drama when it comes to TG and Marlin and AllPro and a bunch of others who developed similar products for the same market. I know there was a time where there was some shady crap going on. I refused to buy from them during that period as well. But the individuals involved in that are no longer there.

Sorry I don't want to turn this into a discussion about this company or that company. Everyone is free to do what they want with their trucks and use whatever products they like best.

Bottom line for me is that I've had a great experience with all of the TG products I have. Same goes for the AP products, and Marlin products, and ARB products..... I just pick and choose carefully which products from each company I decide to use. Fortunately it has worked out well for me so far.
^I don't think you're a jerk and don't begrudge you for buying TG products. For me, the bottom line is that I personally know many of the Toytec staff. I know the background of some of their designs that were directly copied by TG within the last 12 months. Like you, I don't want to stir up a big debate about it, but I hate to see stuff like that happen.

On the other hand, I agree with your point on sliders. If I were to design my own sliders for my rig... they'd look almost exactly like the CBI set that is on there now. Like you, I'd rather design and build my own stuff, but when you can get the same thing (used in this case) for cheaper... Another example, I've had plans to build a rear bumper/swing out on a white board for quite a while now. It just so happens that, though I thought it up entirely in my head, it looks pretty similar to the love child of your bumper and an all-pro. Not identical, but similar. Why? The same interfaces, the same purpose, the same materials available will net you a very similar design... just like you said

I understand that there is a fine line and I'm not trying to stir up a storm here. I'm just making my decisions based on what I see and what my conscience dictates.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #43
logan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: logan
logan1992's Tacoma Gallery
my trail geat pre welded sliders arrived today for my 2004 dc taco and when I went to mock em up the front leg was like .5 inch shorter than the other three, it was like this on both sides and is going to make it a pain to install since I will now have to weld in some sort of spacer. what gives? has this happened to any of you ?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #44
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1992 View Post
my trail geat pre welded sliders arrived today for my 2004 dc taco and when I went to mock em up the front leg was like .5 inch shorter than the other three, it was like this on both sides and is going to make it a pain to install since I will now have to weld in some sort of spacer. what gives? has this happened to any of you ?
Bummer. Didn't happen to me but I didn't get the pre welded ones. I just cut and welded the legs myself
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #45
bwanamukubwa is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
bwanamukubwa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm gonna disagree with the TG naysayers. Maybe I've just been lucky but I have TG sliders on my HEAVY land cruiser. They have been on the truck for probably 7 years now. They have been abused. Not a single dent, never deformed, never bent. Here's a few pics of my cruiser with the entire driverside supported only by the slider. I pivoted the truck around this rock on the slider. Sanded down the slider and repainted it and you'd never know, still looks brand new.

There are always going to be brand "fan-boys" and posting up an arguement from a Marlin message board is a little slanted. I have nothing against Marlin products and actually I prefer them and have purchased tons of stuff from Marlin Crawler in the past for several different trucks. There are other vendors out there too that offer good products. But I'm sorry, the idea that all TG sliders are junk is simply not true. Can they get damaged? Yep, in the right situation. Can other brands get damaged in the same way? You bet.

But from my own experience, NOT from some dude I know that happens to have TG sliders, they have been outstanding and a helluva value. Enough so that I bought another set for my Tacoma. They've been just as good on my Tacoma which is no where near as heavy as my Cruiser and doesn't get abused as much.

I'd recommend TG sliders any day. But everyone has an opinion so do what you want with your own truck.
What tires are those?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #46
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanamukubwa View Post
What tires are those?
Which ones? The ones on the Land Cruiser are BFG ATs. The other ones are BFG KM2s
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #47
logan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Bummer. Didn't happen to me but I didn't get the pre welded ones. I just cut and welded the legs myself
that's the route I wish I would have went. but their on now and are a very solid slider. very happy with the product.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #48
Neighborhood Know-it-all

How'd you fix the gap? If it were me I'd have cut the leg in half and and welded a sleeve inside of it to make it longer to get the plate to weld correctly on the frame.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #49

that's a great idea and I never thought of it, but I ended up cutting a square piece of steel 1/2 inch thick to the same dimensions of the slider frame plate and welding that as a spacer to the slider frame plate. I did the same thing on both sides. the only concern I have now is when I measure the gap between the front of the slider and the pinch weld I get a .25 difference when comparing both sliders. oh well though their is nothing I can do to fix it now beside cut and start over. im sure its just the slight variation of tolerances during the machining process. ill live with it, its un noticeable unless you brake out a tape measure