Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Who's skeered of their hi-lift thread.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Who's skeered of their hi-lift thread.

I am.

Centered my 48 incher on the bumper in the garage a while back. As soon as both wheels were off the ground....the jack went left and the truck went right. Almost 2 feet thru the side of my garage.

Any other "scary" moments or pics?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
i bent mine.... truck shifted to one side and the bast settled in the other direction. didn't fall or anything, but i'm now in need or a new jack.

however, the night before, we were fixing one guy's locker (got stuck in lock), and we lifted the rear off the ground via the trailer hitch to see if the tires spun independandly. the first try, it wasn't quite centered and fell over.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Mine didn't shoot out to the side or anything, just kinda tipped over. But it was still a lil squirelly since my garage walls are brick and the truck missed it by nearly under 5 inches.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Mine didn't shoot out to the side or anything, just kinda tipped over. But it was still a lil squirelly since my garage walls are brick and the truck missed it by nearly under 5 inches.
oh man, that would suck to have it hit a brick wall
Old 07-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #5
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot where I saw an adapter for the hi-lifts that makes it sit nice around a tube slider. I forgot which vendor makes it
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I have a nice dent in the door from one

But when I use one on the front bumper it's super stable. I guess it's the plate vs tube?

IMO and experience never use a hilift on concrete. It will slide 90% of the time.
i've found the off road base helps greatly on concrete. offroad base + floor mat with rubber bottom = piece of cake

i hate using them in the hitch, so when i do, i've started intentionally leaning the jack over just a tad, and attaching the rear of the truck to a tree/rock/other truck with a chain and come along, so i can tension it and not have it sway to either side and fall
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
I forgot where I saw an adapter for the hi-lifts that makes it sit nice around a tube slider. I forgot which vendor makes it
i remember seeing that too. if it wasn't hi-lift themselves, arb rings a bell.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
asphinctersayswhat?
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That's really not gonna benefit anything......

The accident occurs when the base kicks out, mainly happens on concrete.

WabFab as the solution for it not to happen offroad.
Ahh good to know
Old 07-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #9

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
What about the tire lift hooks, anyone try them?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
elblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant futureelblako91 has a brilliant future

Name: Blake
elblako91's Tacoma Gallery
centered mine on my hitch. i know stupid me and removed both rear tires thing wasn't balanced and it all shifted to the right. nothing broke since it it landed on my trailer hitch.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #11

my friend has them, but i don't think he's ever used them. his hi lift has been all for show so far lol
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
asphinctersayswhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
my friend has them, but i don't think he's ever used them. his hi lift has been all for show so far lol
Mine too actually. I got the hi-lift and the mate, but shortly after I got a winch. The one time I got stuck on a trail recently, I just used the winch. So my hi-lift just sits pretty on my bed rails for now
Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #13

Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elblako91 View Post
centered mine on my hitch. i know stupid me and removed both rear tires thing wasn't balanced and it all shifted to the right. nothing broke since it it landed on my trailer hitch.
Jeez. good thing no one was underneath. I carry a full on 4 ton hydro in the toolbox. Ive gone to it 90% of the time over my hi-lift.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #14
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I found this, but wasn't where I first saw it

http://www.sbefabrication.com/page2....age&category=3
Old 07-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #15
asphinctersayswhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
I found this, but wasn't where I first saw it

http://www.sbefabrication.com/page2....age&category=3
yea that's it. I remember seeing it on TW a few months back. Not sure of the vendor. But damn $40?! I got hooked up on my hi-lift for $50 lol
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Mine too actually. I got the hi-lift and the mate, but shortly after I got a winch. The one time I got stuck on a trail recently, I just used the winch. So my hi-lift just sits pretty on my bed rails for now
not to worry, there are still uses for it. had we winched this fella before using the hi lift to get him off the rock, everything from his transmission back weould still be on the trail
Old 07-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #17
asphinctersayswhat?

EEK!

That's a great picture with that guy looking at it
Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
i dont have one but ive always thought when i got one i would be really careful with it

i always picture the truck shifting and it goin right through the door
Old 07-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #20

Quote:

Always try to open the door when using the slider IMO.
good call, i'll do that from now on.