Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

ARB Locker: Front or back?

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #41
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=bjmoose;3432453]This is with the rear locked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLnVSdjS9s[/QUOTE]

Nice moves Bullwinkle

The truck looks killer too
Old 07-13-2011, 11:12 PM   #44
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that's my truck. That was at the Easter Jeep Safari last April. And I'm only locked in the back, not the front.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #45
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
and what i'm gathering is its about a grand per axel to go the arb route.
Roughly. Remember, you need to get the compressor also. Best price I've found for a diff install is 450. Depends on your local labor rates. Especk found a cheaper place near him. And you can save a few bucks by dropping the "third member" yourself and taking it to the shop. I didn't find it worth it. But I did install my compressor, wiring, and air lines.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #46
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=OZ-T;3432463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Nice moves Bullwinkle

The truck looks killer too
x2
Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #47
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I think that's enough replies to sufficiently put that question to rest. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #48
Brandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2W271,2MUNS, 2BW, 8AF (Enough Said)
Brandon H's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brandon H Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon H
I would do the rear first. It all depends on what kind of wheeling you are going to be doing. I have e-locker in the rear and ARB in the front , and have wheeled it pretty hard and have not broken CV's. You just have to make sure you watch what you are doing when you have it engaged. only use it when you really need it. When it starts binding, turn it off, and you will be fine. Its all about how you drive it.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #49
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
How much does it cost total to get a locker for the back?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #50
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
How much does it cost total to get a locker for the back?
Not sure for JUST installing the locker, but one shop quoted me $2945 for regearing to 4.88s w/ an ARB rear locker and compressor. Price included all parts and installation.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #51
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Not sure for JUST installing the locker, but one shop quoted me $2945 for regearing to 4.88s w/ an ARB rear locker and compressor including all parts and installation.
Wow . Should have gone TRD OR
Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #53
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Not sure for JUST installing the locker, but one shop quoted me $2945 for regearing to 4.88s w/ an ARB rear locker and compressor. Price included all parts and installation.
At first I thought that was with both lockers front and rear. That's a little steep for just a rear locker with front and rear regearing.

On a truck that's only a couple years old, they shouldn't need a full diff rebuild kit - only a new gasket and seal.

Labor ought to run 450-500 per axle, but some folks have found a cheaper price than that.

ARB locker is around 750, and compressor is around 250, give or take, from East Coast Gear supply.

Gears are around 250 per axle, give or take.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #54
The Photo Ninja!
SiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiRMarlon is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marlon
SiRMarlon's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SiRMarlon
I would do the rear first and then at a later time upgrade the front...if you have a chance to re-gear while you are at I would take the opportunity to do it now instead of doing it later!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 PM   #55
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
The way the lockers provide traction, is different, so that should be factored. Driving with the front locked is more for pulling the truck over the obstacle (most of the weight is over the front wheels) where as the rear can be used with more throttle to push the truck. This is also why CVs break in the front, but most people don't need a front locker.

For a truck that is daily driven and sees trails 1-2% of its life, I would say a LSD (rear) is perfect. If I had the front locked, I would be unstoppable on any of the trails I choose to run.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #56
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is just reviving the the thread but do you guys have pictures of your plumbing with the arb compressor??

I am about to pull the trigger on both 4.56 gears / arb font and back.