Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

ARB Locker: Front or back?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
ARB Locker: Front or back?

Was looking at getting an ARB locker installed. I have open diffs front and back at the moment.
The truck usually sees mild to moderate trails/rocks. Right now I think I can really only afford 1 locker. So which would be more beneficial on the rocks? Front or back?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
If it was me I would go rear. that is what I will do once I get some of the other things out the way. I am not sure what will help more on the rocks but I know for me I will go with the rear first. I was also thinking about a twin stick set up from Marlin Crawler so I could have 2lo.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Rear first.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Protected by Armor Tech Offroad
dbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
dbronzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Rear first.
x2
Old 07-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a reason a rear locker is better? I had initially thought the only reason the TRD lockers were located in the rear diff was ease of manufacturing and parts between prerunners and 4x4s.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
generally the front has independent front suspension, having the rear elocker is just something else as a selling point, and kinda cool and helpful.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
You start breaking CVs if you put it in the front and actually wheel. I would go rear first. It seem like the rear of my truck is always in the air more than the front so the rear locker gets some good use. When I can afford a front locker and spare CVs I will purchase a front locker.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Rear.............

I'll make you want a front locker this weekend
yea yea I already WANT one. I guess you will make me NEED one
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Rear first because of weight transfer.

You most need the increased traction afforded by a locker when climbing steep hills. You very seldom need to lock up when descending, even in lower traction situations, because gravity is helping you to descend.

When climbing, there is a significant weight transfer FROM the front wheels TO the back wheels, and this is accentuated the steeper the hill.

So if you're only doing one, you want to lock up the back axle first.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
05tacoSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Taco 22 View Post
You start breaking CVs if you put it in the front and actually wheel. I would go rear first. It seem like the rear of my truck is always in the air more than the front so the rear locker gets some good use. When I can afford a front locker and spare CVs I will purchase a front locker.
this
Old 07-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed05tacoSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Rear.............

I'll make you want a front locker this weekend
Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #12

I just locked the back. Best mod so far
Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
The main advantage of doing both at the same time (vs. now and later) would be that you could regear for just the cost of the Ring and Pinions, since you have both diffs apart and accessible.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #14

With only the front locked= A LOT OF BREAKING
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of broken-axle talk on this thread. You guys actually seen a broken axle in the field? How did it happen?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #16

Locked, Gas , And Turned BANG
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05tacoSPORT View Post
Locked, Gas , And Turned BANG
OK, how much gas? What was the traction surface?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:28 PM   #18

You can break stuff either way. If easy and aware of what you are doing, Locker in the front is fine. If Not and Bind the front every 5 minutes, Something will give
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
OK, how much gas? What was the traction surface?
ROCK and Too much
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM   #20

Mud would be a different story