offroad in 2wd?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
qb6fire is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Josh
qb6fire's Tacoma Gallery
Question offroad in 2wd?

is it possible?
new to all of this and really interested in doing some fun stuff but stuck with my 2002 tacoma prerunner 2.7L 4banger
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Ummmm yeah just don't expect to go where a 4wd can.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
Yes possible.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
there are plenty of prerunner friendly trails around
Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 PM   #7

Firefighter:
qb6fire's Tacoma Gallery
alright sweet just want to get my toes in the water so to speak if you know of any socal trails 2wd friendly let me know were PLZ
Old 08-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I mean a Jerez got video of an Accord plowing through a kinda deep water crossing.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:53 PM   #9

Firefighter:
qb6fire's Tacoma Gallery
air down? meaning deflate tire some? sounds like a stupid common sence question haha
Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
Chazlom is on a distinguished road
Chazlom's Tacoma Gallery
Are you asking 2WD guys, or 4WD guys.
Either way your going to get two different answers.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #11
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
You can to an extent. Just be smart about it and know the limits of your truck. Oh, and never go out alone.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
cleghorn trail.

all over big bear

you can play around johnson valley
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
okboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the roughokboatie1 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: Darrell
okboatie1's Tacoma Gallery
airing down (deflating your tires) puts more of the tire grip in contact with the drive surface (dirt, rocks, strays...)
Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #14

Firefighter:
qb6fire's Tacoma Gallery
i am asking anyone who has exsperience in this department any pointer and opinions are greatly apreaciated i do very well with corrective critisism so dont be shy about it.

i also am stock everything as of now and plan on changing that up asap any ideas on a cost efficient way?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
I'm dropping the hammer
Bawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really nice

Air Force: Chair Force
Name: Jon
Bawlzdeep's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah man, just drop all 4 down to about 15psi, bigger footprint=more traction, also a better off road ride. Careful when you jump back on the street, it's gonna be a little wobbly, just air up ASAP.

As Oswego said :Never wheel alone, use common sense, always be prepared, and you should be just fine as long as you know your limits.

I'm 4WD but I never lock it in until I'm stuck or going through unfamiliar holes. It's gonna suck w/o a locking rear end though
Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
Banned
As others have said air down. Also don't go 100 on the trail. That is a good way to break parts or crash.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #17

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb6fire View Post
i am asking anyone who has exsperience in this department any pointer and opinions are greatly apreaciated i do very well with corrective critisism so dont be shy about it.

i also am stock everything as of now and plan on changing that up asap any ideas on a cost efficient way?
watch the socal section and watch for trail runs. I am hosting a couple runs in big bear but they are a bit out of your trucks league this time.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
Man of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shedMan of War is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Man of War's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, throw on a locker (provided that you don't have one already), air down and your good for some trails. When the going gets tough, rocks, body twist, ect, no you won't be as good as a 4x4. Like the poster above said, you need to be smart and know your limits.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
tony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nicetony92629 is just really nice

Name: Tony
tony92629's Tacoma Gallery
A 2wd can do just about anything a 4x4 can do except for major rock crawling...If you are into that....there is a lot more stuff you will need to other than a stock Tacoma 4x4.

The 4x4 does come in handy if you are in heavy snow or mud....Honestly, how may times a year does that happen? And if you are with other guys, they would pull you out if you got stuck anyways. Not a good idea to go on more advanced off-road trails alone anyways.

I have see for pre-runner guys do some pretty crazy stuff. I had both 4x4 and pre-runners. Dont get me wrong...I like 4x4's but the pre-runner fits my needs for 99 percent of my driving. The other 1 percent of the time kick myself and wish I bought a 4x4. Ha.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #20
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
yes ahaha this was me before the tacoma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2fMpt-cmKU