Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

winches.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i'm getting a warn. from what i hear they are the best you can get and their customer service is great. you pay for what you get.

i don't really have much experience with winches lol seeing as this is my first one but, i know the name and know their reputation is well regarded as one of the top choices. especk has a smitty built i believe he may be able to help out with an actual review of its short comings or its strong points
Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
i'm getting a warn. from what i hear they are the best you can get and their customer service is great. you pay for what you get.

i don't really have much experience with winches lol seeing as this is my first one but, i know the name and know their reputation is well regarded as one of the top choices. especk has a smitty built i believe he may be able to help out with an actual review of its short comings or its strong points
ok sweet yes i know you get what you pay for but 500 for a 10k winch
Old 08-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
no i hear you i was looking around for a cheaper solution myself but, my arb bull bar does not have any recovery points for some reason.

so the winch when its locked can be doubled as a recovery point all in its self. so i figured it's constantly in the elements and if you need it you need it ya know it would suck to actually need to winch out of a bad situation and find out your winch has shit the bed lol.

i can tell you this if you pick one up i will be very interested in hearing feed back about it just because warn is more pricey does not mean the winch your looking at won't be as good or even better but, who knows. i just thought it's one of those things that eh i'm not sure if i want to skimp on.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #6
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Smitty Built has had very good feedbacks on their winches. Im going with Smitty Built as well. Warn is just too much :/
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
i had heard some where on here that super winch contracts to the military so the might be good i would imagine they would have to be.

arb also told me that the bull bar was designed around warn winch geometry so i figured it fits nicely and thats what the recommend why not.
i think all normal drum winches are the same bolt pater 10 inches wide 4.5 inch long
Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #9
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
viper winch ..i have a 12000 on my f-150 pulls like a bear. IMO better than warn
Old 08-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #10
JTP is on a distinguished road
JTP's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my Warn 9.5ti for 6 yrs. It's been very good to me.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
the 10 comp is a good winch. it's big though. but with your hybrid bumper you'll have plenty of room.

helped install one a few weeks ago on ym friends vehicle. we got to use his a couple times wheeling already, and i've seen them on other tacomas, i actually got winched off a boulder with one at RC. even under load, it had surprisingly quick line speed. i was impressed.
when i get a winch i'm going to get the xrc8 comp just to save a little weight. you can always use a snatch block or two to help out with pulling power. but since you have the room and your front end is a little lighter than mine, the 10k would be awesome for you. it's a solid winch, just waterproof the solenoid before put it on
Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
I'm dropping the hammer
Bawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really nice

Air Force: Chair Force
Name: Jon
Bawlzdeep's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the XRC8 and it's strong enough to pull my heavy a$$ 4Runner out of anything. That is, when it works. I had to use tape to water seal the solenoid box. Get it wet and it corrodes like hell. I'm on solenoid #3. Two of my wheelin buddies have the same winch and hit the same trails and haven't had a single problem out of theirs.

But they have some of the best customer service. If it breaks, they make it right.

First save

A few more recoveries for myself and others, no pics
Last was a big International flat bed car hauler that got buried to the axle in this shitty FL sand with my parts downer 4Runner on the back. Right in my yard! That's a 15,000lb truck. I pulled from my brick drive way and didn't slide a bit. Probably the biggest truck I'll ever save. They also paid for the sod to fix my yard, since the genius driver spun the entire pull dragging the rear diff 20ft. Genius.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #16
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Ill be getting an xrc8 comp when i decide to get a winch. You really cant beat the price. I went to windrock a few weeks ago and watched two trucks, both with an xrc8, winch a blown up 4runner at least 200 yards up and out of a valley. They did great and thats what convinced me.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
Resident Redneck
WhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhiskeyDeltaTango is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WhiskeyDeltaTango's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Warn VR10000. It's an entry level Warn, but then again it's a Warn. It's kinda slow but it is a beast. picked it up for 579.99 retail with 80.00 rebate. $499 and I think they are still running that deal. the winch weighs 84lbs I think but Im switching to a Syn line to save some weight

EDIT: They offer a VR8k for 479.00 and a VR12k for 679.00
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
Banned
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyDeltaTango View Post
I got a Warn VR10000. It's an entry level Warn, but then again it's a Warn. It's kinda slow but it is a beast. picked it up for 579.99 retail with 80.00 rebate. $499 and I think they are still running that deal. the winch weighs 84lbs I think but Im switching to a Syn line to save some weight

EDIT: They offer a VR8k for 479.00 and a VR12k for 679.00
nice thanks for the info
Old 08-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #20
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Tape on the solenoid? Pull it apart and seal it up with some RTV.

Products Discussed in this Thread