Notices

A/C air compressor

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
happy new year!
Dom is on a distinguished road
Name: Dom
Dom's Tacoma Gallery
Question A/C air compressor

the way i see it you dont need the luxury of air conditioning in a beat up 4x4..
has anyone out there moded they're a/c pump to pump air?
the pump is cooled by the freeon in the a/c system so if there was a way to run engine oil through it to cool it and still pump air. can it be done??
i've seen old oil cooled a/c pumps adapted on to 22rs but not on the 3rz
Old 08-07-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
I'm dropping the hammer
Bawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really niceBawlzdeep is just really nice

Air Force: Chair Force
Name: Jon
Bawlzdeep's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure it could be done with an oil separator/catch can set up of some sort. I love my A/C! Just put in a new compressor a month ago.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Its been done on older compressors, but the new ones require a lube (carried by the R134), to avoid siezing up. Not sure how long it would last as an air compressor.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen them on cheeps. Mist oiled on intake and seperator on exhaust. I would love to have one. I have also read a write up using a sanden with a grease fitting and the guy shoots it with grease from time-to-time. I'd prefer the oiled and separator set up. Better yet have a pickup in the separator that takes oil from the separator. You'd just would want to make sure you drain the water (from compression the air) regularly and tap into the separator at a level that would allow some water to collect so that you're not sucking water everytime its in the separator.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed06TRDZombieHunter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Cornelius Fire Department and Metro West Ambulance
Name: Robert
06TRDZombieHunter's Tacoma Gallery
Wha?

I'm not sure if I understand the original idea... You want to ditch the A/C and use the compressor to move air? For like on board air, filling tires and such?

If so, Harbor Freight has a 12volt compressor that is about the size of a RedBull with a handle, and its high capacity. Fills my 33" BFG A/T flat in about 5 mins to 40psi. I think I paid $20.

But its not nearly as cool as making your own out of parts you dont want anymore..