Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Bumpers check, Skids check... Supercharger or gears?

View Poll Results: Whats the best mod for me?
Should I supercharge my tuck? 23 45.10%
Should I just wait and get a high clearance rear bumper and chop the bedsides? 15 29.41%
Should I upgrade from the toytec ulitmate lift first? 8 15.69%
Should I just pocket the cash and wait until I have $10,000 and SAS? 5 9.80%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpers check, Skids check... Supercharger or gears?

Installing a plate bumper this weekend, sliders are on there way from Elite in a week and a ATO skids is about to be ordered. Now i'm in the air for whats next...

Question is...

Should I supercharge?

Should I get a high clearance rear bumper and cut the bed sides?

Should I just save my cash and upgrade from my toytec lift?

Lets be real. I'm not rich but I am ready for the next upgrade!

About my wheeling... I do trails, expedition type stuff. The wife and I love to camp very far from people and like to get there on our own. Although I do love to go wheeling with a good group of people and want to be able to cross stuff a little more technical then my little 3 inch lift and 33's let me go. I want to still be able to pose at the mall and have a "fast truck" cause I like to show off. My truck is not a daily driver. It sits in the garage waiting for the weekend. I have had it for over 3 years and have under 30K... Please no bashing in the thread.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Oh great..another stupid poll thread

If it were up to me for my truck..I would get armor first(rear bumper) and then get the s/c. Let's get real..how often are we going to make a run up here in Oregon? Once every couple months?

EDIT Get the s/c, let me install it in my truck while you save up for other mods and when you're ready for the s/c ill give it back to you.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I don't know man.. I've been in the trails every other day for the last two weeks... I want more POWER!!!
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
You and I seem to be in the same boat. Im a daily driver though. Since I have my lift already, i think im gunna try and get the supercharger out of the way first. I love showing off too! Then later down the road ill start the midtavel/LT build
Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktacoma23 View Post
SAS
But its so much $$$$$
Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
I don't know man.. I've been in the trails every other day for the last two weeks... I want more POWER!!!
Well shit..we should plan a day to go out end of this month. I haven't seen rocks/dirt since end of March with Mike. X2 on the more power after my dads 07 Tundra and no way in hell am I going to go get a Tundra or full size truck.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #8
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't supercharge an expo rig. You want less things going wrong while you're out in the middle of nowhere, not more.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
But my accord is SO SLOW!!! I wanna go get groceries with class
Old 08-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #10
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
High clearance rear, and gears. Then a taco box if you play in the rocks a lot. To bad you didn't get an 09 with the A word, I hear they can go anywhere in stock form!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:55 AM   #11
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
skip em all and do a diesel conversion. As said before what happens when you're in the middle of no where and your sc crashes? Also the sc isn't that much more power, you'll notice it but most the people here who install them cry they want more. Gears will at least restore A LOT of the power lost to the 33's.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:44 AM   #12
burtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud ofburtonboards32 has much to be proud of
burtonboards32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
But my accord is SO SLOW!!! I wanna go get groceries with class
I vote LSx swap. LS motors are a dime a dozen, relatively cheap, both new crate or from salvage yard, and have plenty of power stock with a shit-ton in reserve with simple engine mods...and your trick would sounds like an effing beast!
Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
skip em all and do a diesel conversion. As said before what happens when you're in the middle of no where and your sc crashes? Also the sc isn't that much more power, you'll notice it but most the people here who install them cry they want more. Gears will at least restore A LOT of the power lost to the 33's.
Yeah that is another option I should have added to the poll. Gears... I've got the MOD bug pretty bad this summer...
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #16
wheel it then head home after camping and do donuts in a friends yard if needed :/
Old 08-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
High Clearance rear
Old 08-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'd SC it now and then do the SAS later
Old 08-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #19
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
i got a supercharger and it gave me plenty of power. but i want to do stuff to get more just cuz i want more and not because the S/C didnt give me a enough. when u get something u like, u want more of it
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I say skip the mods and focus on recovery gear. Everyone focuses on the build up and neglects safety.

Do you have a spare 285? Get that now

Get the following minimal gear before moving forward:
-gloves
-recovery strap
-3 or more d-shackles
-shovel
-box to store it in (doesn't have to be a truck box, I use a rubbermaid action packer)
-hi-lift (you won't be able to change tires without one)

from there, either get the hi-lift ORK kit or a winch. When you do that, get a tree strap as well.

The Toytec lift could be something you'd want to upgrade since it's more road-suited, but up to you.

I've seen one guy wheel with a SC (he has an FJC). It gets him some better low end for slippy conditions, but I'd much rather have gears. Gears let you crawl safely and give you some on-road performance back.

Products Discussed in this Thread