Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Custom sliders

Old 10-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Custom sliders

Anyone here running custom built sliders? I love the shrockworks sliders, but I'm thinking about trying to find a shop here that will make some - may be cheaper and I won't have to pay freight shipping across the country.

If I get some made, is there a difference between having them go 90 degrees from the frame like nerf bars or is it better to have them tilt up closer to the rocker panels like the shrockworks?

Pics of custom sliders would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Lemon
GreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreySky72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GreySky72's Tacoma Gallery
They aren't custom but heres some pics anyways... they are Allpro sliders that I had line X'd

Old 10-26-2008, 04:13 AM   #3
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the ones that were built/installed by a place here in Sac called "Bent-Up"

Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPPERT View Post
Here are the ones that were built/installed by a place here in Sac called "Bent-Up"

I like those square tubes... Are they bolt-on or weld-on?

Noticed the bolt-on's are $425 ...damn that's hard to swallow with the economy the way it is.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I like those square tubes... Are they bolt-on or weld-on?

Noticed the bolt-on's are $425 ...damn that's hard to swallow with the economy the way it is.
They are welded on, all of the bent-up work was done prior to my buying the truck, so it didn't hurt as bad since it was "tied into" the financing.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post
Grey- How does that line-x hold up to wear and tear?? I like how that looks...and I love the allpro sliders
i was gonna ask the same thing, since i'll be getting a set of the allpro's if i dont have mine custom made. and at the same time, when i get it home, i'll be using herculiner on it as i did my bumpers. that stuff is easy as pie to touch up too.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #8
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Yeah...I used about 6 gallons of Herculiner to re-do the floor in the armory on the ship I worked on.

Stuff is amazing and so much easier then the stuff they used last time it was done (early 90's).

Provided it holds up reasonable well- cause touch ups can get spendy if you only need a lil bit at a time.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Grey- How does that line-x hold up to wear and tear?? I like how that looks...and I love the allpro sliders
On my 96, I had a set of square tube sliders. I Herculined the tops & sides and painted the bottoms. The Herculiner held up very well....I never had to touch-up the Herculiner but I did have to touchup the paint underneath. I didn't use Herculiner underneath because the 'rocks' would scrape it off.

It was a nice 'traction' aide also when stepping on the square tubes.

The quart cans of Herculiner are great (and cheap).

http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/T...normal_133.jpg
Gawd I loved that truck!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
On my 96, I had a set of square tube sliders. I Herculined the tops & sides and painted the bottoms. The Herculiner held up very well....I never had to touch-up the Herculiner but I did have to touchup the paint underneath. I didn't use Herculiner underneath because the 'rocks' would scrape it off.

It was a nice 'traction' aide also when stepping on the square tubes.

The quart cans of Herculiner are great (and cheap).

http://www.lieblweb.com/cpg/albums/T...normal_133.jpg
Gawd I loved that truck!
yep..........not too bad price wise. i got my can at pep boys for $30, and after doing my bumpers(front and rear), i only used about half an inch out of the can....and thats 3 coats each bumper. good stuff.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input! For those who had them custom fabbed, did they hold up as well as something like the shrockworks? And I can't decide if I like the kick out of the all pros or not. I know it's a great idea and protects the rear wheels, but just not sold on the look.

And how about the whole "parallel vs tilted up a bit"? Any disadvantages to having them straight out? I'd like to use them as steps. I'm tall and can get in easily, but the ladies, not so much...
Old 10-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Thanks for the input! For those who had them custom fabbed, did they hold up as well as something like the shrockworks? And I can't decide if I like the kick out of the all pros or not. I know it's a great idea and protects the rear wheels, but just not sold on the look.

And how about the whole "parallel vs tilted up a bit"? Any disadvantages to having them straight out? I'd like to use them as steps. I'm tall and can get in easily, but the ladies, not so much...
I like where your head is at...all about the ladies!!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i'll jump in here since everyone else has posted "off the rack" stuff...i know im a little late and all...

mine are completely custom...by Unbreakable Fabrication in Lenoir, NC

theyre welded to the frame in 4 places on each side...they do tilt up but thats so i can keep them closer to the body...theyre made out of something like .120 wall DOM tube...even when they were tack welded on for test fitting we had to grind them off...they wouldnt just break off like a tack weld normally would

id say mine are just as good as shrockworks...plus theyre custom...and mine only cost me $375...that was for the steel, labor, and first coat of paint...i chose to rattle can mine because its easier than liner to touch up...and cheap...ive stood on mine in the rain and mud and never slipped off...so i dont think traction is really necessary personally...
Old 10-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That first pic doens't look real safe...I like my eyes waayy to much to play around with welds like that.

I do like those sliders tho...They look sharp.
typically it wouldnt be...but that was doing tack welds and he'd shut his eyes before he did it...so he only got sunburnt
Old 10-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Bumper and sliders look sick!! Great job - would love to see more pics of the bumper... Where did you get it? Price?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #17
Mall Krawler
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
Bumper and sliders look sick!! Great job - would love to see more pics of the bumper... Where did you get it? Price?
Thanks! They were all built and installed by "Bent-Up" here in the Sacramento area. I am not sure on pricing as they were installed as part of a package deal for the wholesaler that bought the truck and then ended up selling to me. For more pictures I have some in my gallery here on TW.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #18
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks! They were all built and installed by "Bent-Up" here in the Sacramento area. I am not sure on pricing as they were installed as part of a package deal for the wholesaler that bought the truck and then ended up selling to me. For more pictures I have some in my gallery here on TW.

That is definitly awesome looking - I like it better that ARB or Allpro bumpers...
Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #19
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
No point in putting sliders on a PreRunner is there?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #20
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody have links to a site that sells sliders for tacomas????--Thank you!!