1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Southern, UT -- Northern, AZ trip

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by ericb, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM
    ericb

ericb [OP] I'm a very neat monster

Member:
    First Name:
    Dexter
    surface of the sun
    Vehicle:
    Truck So Good
    Did a 1300 mile 3 day, 3 night trip up to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and through Glen Canyon NRC and Grand Staircase- Escalante NP.

I have been a hardcore rockcrawler for about 15 years. Got my start on table mesa road, florence, and johnson valley. Coming off buggies, and daily driver jeeps on 35's and 37's to a tacoma on 33's was a big change for me. However ever since I moved from the suburbs-semi rural to to extremely rural area and got the rhino I haven't really gotten into the rock crawling anymore. Sold it all off and just did backcountry from my front door rhino riding.... so I what I was looking for was lightweight, fast, and reliable. The 2dgen taco was the perfect fit. I dont need heavy front and rear bumpers, or armor out the yazoo anymore. light to medium wheeling is all I plan on anymore.

Anyway, the only things I don't like about the new 2d gen is the mass of buttons to go into about 9 different modes. 9 modes? I need a cheat sheet to know what mode I am in. Also, no direct via linkage to the tranfser case lever kind of bothers me.... other than that the thing rocked all weekend. Slept in it once due to monsoons and flooding and it reclined back well, was roomy and I actually got a great nights sleep. I also never tracked gas mileage but I did on this trip and it was amazing. I averaged 17.8 mpg on the whole tri and got a best 21.2 twice on the long stretches of highway using up more than 3/4 of a tank each time. That is with a 3" lift and 33's BFG AT's. I made sure to keep the rpm's below 2K at all times and I verified mileage with my gps. I would have done better but I was cranking around 85 mph + on I-40 on my rush to flagstaff to meet friends to start the trip and it was all uphill and I was cranking the air and got a disgusting 13.3 mpg. The way back was different, I kept it below 2K ( around 70 mph or so) and I got over 21 going downhill 200 miles.

Anyway the reason I created this thread....here are some photos of it on the trail..... an in it's travels. This thing had only 7K on it when I began this journey and I wonder to myself why it took me so long to buy one.

IMG_2186 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2235 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2416.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2443.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2554.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2626.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2649.jpg
    IMG_2653.jpg

2. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    :thumbsup:
    looks like a lot of fun.
    I need to get out again and do a couple night trip.

3. Aug 30, 2011 at 1:37 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Well done! The 2nd Gen 4x4 Off-Road is a great truck for exploring. That's exactly what I do. And that is a beautiful section of the country Southern Utah & Northern AZ. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top