Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Winch brands

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Winch brands

so, i've really been looking into finally stuffing a winch in my bumper but cant decide what one to get. so far this is my criteria: 8000-9500 line pull, series wound motor, can take syn. rope.
i've looked both high and low priced and cant decide what to do.... go all out and get a 'good' winch or stay with an affordable winch since it probably wont get used a ton. The prices go from $330 to well over $1000, and i dont really want to spend much now but i'd rather wait if i decide on an expensive one than be disappointed.
here are the ones im looking at. if anyone has some experience in any of them let me hear your opinions and testimonials!

Warn: M8000, XD9000, 9.5ti
Mile marker 8000
Smittybilt XRC8 8000lb
Gorilla Winch: Silverback 8000, Midnight 8000
Superwinch: LP8500
here are some links to a few them:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330282148954
http://www.gorillawinches.com/truck-...covery-winches
I've looked around for the best prices and Winchdepot seems to have good prices but also ebay and I've even looked on craigslist locally and i found a M8000 new for $475 or a slightly used 9.5ti for $800 and a slightly used Mile Marker 9500 for $425.

HELP me choose!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I can't give any first hand help to you, however I've been looking at T-max winches lately as they have one that only weighs 65lbs with syn line for $1000, 9000lbs. My thinking on winches is even if its not gonna get used lots. It needs to with-out a doubt work when it needs to be used. Just IMO.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
My thinking on winches is even if its not gonna get used lots. It needs to with-out a doubt work when it needs to be used. Just IMO.
yeah, i definately agree with that but there should still be somthing that is both affordable and reliable. i think there are alot of winches that are very similar just with different brand names on them for different prices too.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ajviper7's Tacoma Gallery
I'll throw in my 2 cents. Get the Warn M8000, it will be perfect for your truck, it has a lifetime warranty, and you can get one online brand new for under 600 bucks.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #5
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I have the milemarker 8000, I havent had any problems with it, Warn is also a nice one to go with.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
For the price get the WARN...

Taco of winches!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:51 AM   #9

i found an M8000 new from a dealer on ebay for only $512.95/shipped. thats a damn good deal, and there are 24 avail right now so i can wait a little if i want!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #10
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a pretty good price for sure.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
csxrailfan is on a distinguished road
Army: 48th Infantry Brigade
csxrailfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Get a WARN!!

We've had our hs9500i for 6 years or so and it's been used hard over the years. Mounted on the Jeep with synthetic rope. It's been flawless.

Yep, same thing here. hs9500i. I got mine on southernjeeps.org in the used section. It was on a show truck before I got it. Paid $474 I think and I have never had any trouble. Go warn.