Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Receiver + Shackle Question

Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Receiver + Shackle Question

I have a rear hitch receiver with a ball on it. Could I take the ball off and put a shackle through the hole to use as a (safe) recovery point? What size shackle would I need?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
Stop talking and START wheeling
RicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really nice

Army: Co.C 6/31st Inf.
RicnDenver's Tacoma Gallery
you mean something like this:

http://4by4connection.com/recshacbrac.html

Then YES, if you have a reciever hitch. lots of people use them.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TacoTRD View Post
I have a rear hitch receiver with a ball on it. Could I take the ball off and put a shackle through the hole to use as a (safe) recovery point? What size shackle would I need?
Yes you can. I'm running a 3/4" shackle. Also off the trails and around town I pull the shackle and call it my radiator punch.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Stop talking and START wheeling
RicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really nice

Army: Co.C 6/31st Inf.
RicnDenver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Yes you can. I'm running a 3/4" shackle. Also off the trails and around town I pull the shackle and call it my radiator punch.

just an FYI, you might want to zip-tie the bolt, to prevent it from vibrating back out, and losing it, ask me how i know, lol
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicnDenver View Post
just an FYI, you might want to zip-tie the bolt, to prevent it from vibrating back out, and losing it, ask me how i know, lol
A 18" flathead does the trick as well. Reef on it till it's good and tight.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post

Thats exactly what I was talking about. Thanks!