Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Question: Tow Strap or Snatch Strap

Old 10-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
RCTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Ryan
RCTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question: Tow Strap or Snatch Strap

I bought a strap several years ago and can't recall if it is a tow or snatch strap. I've never used it but was going to put it in my 4WD Tacoma but wanted to try and figure out which or the two it was before using it. What do you guys think? I am thinking it's a tow strap. Here are two pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Question: Tow Strap or Snatch Strap-strap.jpg   Question: Tow Strap or Snatch Strap-strap-tag.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think that is a tow strap. Snatch straps list maximum pulling force.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #3
2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed2kool4school is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: FC1(SW)
Name: Beau
2kool4school's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the tow strap that i have Picked it up at Walmart. Either way you can use it for both towing and snatching, just dont put any metal hooks on it
Old 10-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Thanks guys. That was my guess as well. I can't remember where I picked it up, maybe Lowes. Do you recommend I by a snatch strap, specifically for recovery?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I got a snatch strap just in case.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #6
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Mine works great! I always called it a tow strap, but maybe snatch is correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m1u1...layer_embedded
Old 10-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTacoma View Post
Thanks guys. That was my guess as well. I can't remember where I picked it up, maybe Lowes. Do you recommend I by a snatch strap, specifically for recovery?
Both will work but with a snatch strap you can get a running start and it will stretch like a rubber band to help pull you out of mud, sand or snow. A tow strap you want to have tight when you pull because it won't stretch like a snatch.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #8
You guys as well as this site ROCK!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Livin' the taco life
jcemitte is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
jcemitte's Tacoma Gallery
my wife always says: "off roading is such a man thing, they name things like winch and snatch... typical" always makes me laugh
Old 10-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Thought I would elaborate...
Snatch straps allow a lighter vehicle to pull out a heavier vehicle via momentum/inertia. A tow strap relies on horsepower and tire grip. You take the slack out and then pull with a tow strap(to avoid parting it), you get a running start with the snatch strap before the slack comes out.