1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

winch choices for the arb bull bar besides warn?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by stunt man hans, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans [OP] DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    the title say's it all.

i'm interested in purchasing a nice quality winch for my truck but, on a budget something comparable to a warn m8000.

i want to run synthetic line and a hawse fairlead on my arb bull bar if not now i would at least like the ability to upgrade in the future. the derlin rollers seem to be an option but if i switched over to synthetic line i would want the hawse fairleed. i know of one company that supposedly makes a hawse fairlead that will work on a arb sleeoffroad.com their off set fair lead supposedly works.

from what i gather the warn m8000 is just going to be a solid choice and in my price range but, it does not come with synthetic line lol. it's steel cable and a roller fairlead. either way arb is not very helpful in all of this as they just recommend warn and thats it.

i'm wanting to know what options i have for winches meaning what will bolt directly onto the arb with out needing modify the bumper in any way. i like the warn m8000 but it's seems to be a bit pricey when compared to the others.

any options or advice would be a big help :)

2. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Jebus man, now a winch?!?! That truck's going to be a tank by the time you're done!

So... when are you getting under armor and a rear plate bumper? :stirthepot:

3. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I dunno about south of the 49th parallel, but I got my 10,000lb LP Superwinch for $400 moosebucks. I had to get the Solenoid relocation kit (Extra $50) to mount it elsewhere cause it won't fit with it on.

For the love of god...have two people when you try to put it on and take the bumper off.

I did it by myself with the bumper on, and I just about took my fucking thumb off. Literally.

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    AllMountainToy

AllMountainToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab 4X4 TRDOR
    2 3/4 OME Suspension Lift with 885, with trim packer, 1/4" top plate spacer, swaybar relo bracket. Dakar leaf pack with 3rd leaf removed. 285/70/17" BFG AT. XD Wheels with 4.5 BS, Best Top Soft Top, Undercover winch mount with Warn 8k winch (with synthetic line), Pioneer touchscreen double din head unit. 4X innovations welded sliders. roof mounted DVD system.ATO dual battery tray with dual yellow tops. Rugged ridge isolator kit.
    I had the smittybilt XC8000 on my JK Unlimited and used it several time in the 12 months I owned the JKU. Never had a problem with it. I went with it for the price...299.00 for how often I would really be using it.

I would have purchased it again for my Undercover Winch Mount but it would not fit..too big so I went Warn.

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    i like the super winches a lot in another thread mjp recks them as do a few other members with very good luck. i don't know if they will work on the arb with out having to modify the bumper.

edit lol crazy i can't remove the bumper lol i used red lock tight on the bolts like crazy :) if i drop the arb rock guard thing is it possible to get it in that way?

and besides it needing the solenoid moved which i planned on doing any way did it just bolt on in the holes already in the bumper?

the m8000 is the one i think i'm going with that and the wireless controller then at a later date i'm going to get high quality snatch block sand tracs exhaust jack high lift and some accessories various other recovery gear.

the superwinch and the warn i really like just trying to decide on which one lol. which one out of the 2 is the better winch meaning better quality and reliability this is not something i'm going to use like everyday or other wise i would buy accordingly. i do want something that will be there when i need it however and work with out a hitch

6. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Mine bolted straight up.
    I have pics but they're on my other phone. Let me see if I can find them.

Nope. They're on the phone not my email. Sorry mang.

7. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:14 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    thanks! soon i hope i was waiting for arb to release their rear bumper for the 2nd gen tacoma but, i had called them today while trying to search out the winch stuff and i had asked again they told me it was in australia and was being completely redone!

they had the fucking thing in oregon like a full year ago doing test fittings then they sent the thing back for another whole year to idk whack off lol. those drunk australians who knows what the hell they are doing :confused:

sliders and rear bumper are def next on my list so is full under armor from ato fuck that stupid all pro skid i have now lol i want the real heavy duty shit under my truck.

8. Oct 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    thats cool bud thank you so much for answering the thread now i have an idea on which way i can go so that in itself makes a big difference :)

the other accessories to go along with the winch are pricey to jesus warn's medium duty kit is like 400 bucks:eek:

i'm looking at piecing together a warn arb set up with high end stuff as i go along to have a complete recovery set-up.

9. Oct 28, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Only thing with Superwinch is that the fairlead for wire cable doesn't match up. But as you said, you're going synthetic with a hawse so that's pretty much negligible.

10. Jan 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    alright, update to original question i had asked of which hawse style fairlead would work properly with the recessed hole thats found in the arb bull bar. i originally thought the hell with it and i would run the steel line for a time until i felt the need to change it over but, more on that later lol.

i talked to thor over at viking off road and he suggested his offset fairlead its apparently 1.5 inches thick so that would still leave me with the problem of contacting the sides of the bumper on anything more than a 15 degree pull.

so to eliminate this i'm going to have a metal fab shop around me make a spacer for the viking's offset fairlead out of aluminum then take all the sharp edges off and coat it in bedliner. then i plan on getting new grade 5 or higher bolts that are long enough to properly thread into the little square nuts that are found on the m8000's feet. hopefully this will give me a little more clearance for the more cut prone synthetic line that i need in order to run a hawse style fairlead on the arb.

i will update this thread with pictures and specs for the offset fairlead and the spacer when i get everything back on the truck and its looking and performing correctly.

on a different note i decided to go with a synthetic line from viking as well i'm going to lose 25 feet in overall lenght but i'm going with their 3/8th thick tube thimble and hook combo black synthetic rope in 75 feet :) it hopefully should be a lot easier to work with compared to the steel rope thats currently on my winch. the hook is way nicer as well no more sharp little cotter pins to stab myself with and no more stupid winch isolator lol.

i have tried stretching the wire rope according to warns instructions a few times and even pulled out a stuck kid in the rain few weeks ago and it still has developed no memory whatsoever lol as soon as i back off of it it just poofs out on the drum :facepalm:

needles to say so far i'm not liking the steel rope when combined with the arb. the enclosed nature of the arb is excellent to protect the winch but, leaves no where to actually see where and how the wire is spooling back in which kinda sucks.

so i intend on solving these shortcomings with out resorting to the derlin rollers as they can still be prone to pinch the synthetic ropes on angled pulls.

any thoughts concerns or experience with this issue or anything concerning what i said or plan to do would be appreciated. as this has to my knowledge not been attempted with the addition of the spacer to allow for more clearance.

11. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    stunt man hans

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    update, after some intensive measuring and mocking up the spacer template it looks like i still won't have the proper clearance so i'm going with the derlin rollers on my warn fairlead for the time being.

until someone makes a really nice 3 1/2 thick off set hawse fairlead which i doubt lol.

12. Jan 14, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    good god man, you never make things easy on yourself :( I'm sorry to say that, but there's sooo much stuff to answer at once!

Where to begin?

First off, this is what I usually say between SuperWinch and WARN

This is the problem with the ARB bumper. Sorry, I do sympathize :(

When you spooled back up, did you do it under tension? What I mean by tension is that you pretty much need to winch yourself all the way in. WARN suggests using a tree or a telephone pole. The last few feet can be done by hand. Note that proper care dictates that you respool about once a month under regular use (I don't think I qualify for that, so I just do it when I can)

Good choice on 75 feet. :cheers: Consider that most stuck situations won't require enormous lengths of winchline, and you lose winch strength with the more that's spooled on. If you need more length, get a winchline extension.

:( You are going to have to saw it off if you ever want to remove it. This one may haunt you one day. In the future, blue loctite is strong enough. Nylon lock nuts, shakeproof washers, etc., are usually all you need

I think this is the heart of your problems.

First, steel line can only be used with metal roller fairleads. They will cause too much friction and cut up a Hawse, and will go through Delrin even faster. I'm assuming you already know all that.

Hawse fairleads are primarily for looks (I agree they look cool as hell), and it's a marketing gimmick that you need this for synthetic lines. They are actually somewhat detrimental because the friction will heat your line. While it isn't enough to probably cause immediate failure, it's slowly wearing down the integrity of your rope.

I say it's a marketing gimmick because everyone will tell you about pinching the line. The simple answer is that if you are pulling at that angle, you are doing something very rare and very wrong. At that angle, you are causing immense stress on your winch, no matter the setup you have. Your stuck assessment should tell you it's time to re-position the vehicle or the recovery point. This can usually be achieved with a pulley block. In the case that you absolutely have no other option, the synthetic line has more strength than you give it credit, and the roller has less of a chance of pinching than you may suspect. Furthermore, the problem is equal even if you were using wire rope. Something has to give - your roller or your rope - and I'd much rather have synthetic line break than wire.

Another misconception is that rollers will damage synthetic rope. This is usually from people who have damaged rollers from previously using wire on them, to which I say DUH! Burrs are going to do that, even if you had burrs on a Hawse! the important thing is to inspect your equipment for damage and take proper care.
    Roller fairleads are great with synthetic line because it eliminates friction. Pure and simple.

Delrin rollers are even better since you have no problem with burrs (delrin is too soft to damage the line), and it lowers weight. However, the cost is quite high, and frankly, not worth it.

Based on your description of the bumper, it was meant for the extra size of the roller fairlead. I would go with this route and not worry about creating extra unnecessary work for yourself.

13. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    TACODOC1

TACODOC1 AmericanAdventurist.com

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4WD V6 SR5 TRD Offroad
    See TACODOC.com!
    The M8000 now comes with synthetic. Either way, for the money it's hard to beat and made in USA. And works perfectly with the ARB bumper. Add the wireless remote and you're GTG.

Mine has served me well going on 7 years.

WINCH

14. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I have had experience with other winches, and they have all let me down. except the warn. it also really depends on how you treat it. my dad lies to do heavy winching non stop, for minutes on end. this will fry any winch.... im careful to let it cool down intermittently. Ive put my warn winches through some serious shit.

keep a strong charging sytem and you'll be good

15. Jan 15, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Where did you get the rubber 'donut' that sits behind the safety thimble? I'd be interested in getting one of those

16. Jan 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    A propane torch will heat that red loctite up enough that you can get it off. You should be able to push the winch up through the splash guard. I installed mine that way.

Get yourself a yarding block here http://allenmachineco.com/pages/data/mathan-5.htm

a tree strap from favorite company, a 20' strap and a 30' strap, and maybe a bungie, a few shackles

fibgerglass waffle boards or smittybilt element ramps, a hi lift, and a shovel and you're ready to go

17. Jan 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  18. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
  19. Jan 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    They're more than enough. Been hashed out on Expo and ih8mud.

These snatch blocks will not be the weakest link. The only downside is they're very heavy. No way I'd pay ridiculous prices for ARBs shit, even if they are nice offroad bling.

BTW these are the same as Warns snatch blocks. http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/snatch_blocks.shtml
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61228-Need-33K-snatch-block!!!
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/38863-Snatch-Blocks-Great-Price
    http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-recovery/458898-snatch-blocks-one.html
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/38336-Pulley-Block-and-Shackles-for-a-10-000-Winch

Products Discussed in

To Top