Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Smittybuilt XRC8 Solenoid Issues

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
I rather be wheelin'
ChrisInVT is a jewel in the roughChrisInVT is a jewel in the roughChrisInVT is a jewel in the rough

Name: Capt'n Awesome
ChrisInVT's Tacoma Gallery
Smittybuilt XRC8 Solenoid Issues

What first brought me to this forum was a writeup on waterproofing the XRC8 solenoid. Now, for the life of me I can't find it (it's not even showing up under my posts, or through a forum search even though I have no thread cutoff date).

I've had my XRC8 mounted on my truck for a couple years now, but never used the truck or the winch (it's been a shop whore because the motor went and I was slowly swapping the drivetrain). One day I decided to pull the winch solenoid to make sure it was sealed properly, but to do so I had to unspool the cable a bit and disconnect my hook. When I tried to unspool the cable the solenoid failed spectacularly. It only clicked, so I started the truck thinking that maybe some more power would coax it along. As soon as I started it up, the winch decided to unspool almost the whole drum before I could shut the truck off and get the battery disconnected. I pulled the winch from the truck and opened up the solenoid to find MASSIVE CORROSION. Enough that there's a pile of powdered corrosion on the bottom of the case.

I've contacted Smittybuilt numerous times with no response back from their tech department. Even tried their Facebook page with no luck. I contacted the distributor that I purchased the winch from and they only want to sell me another solenoid. It did have the little clear rubber seal, I just removed it for the pictures.

I officially regret purchasing two of these for my truck. Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Yep i never sealed mine and when i was winching one day the winch would not stop and it was pulling the trucks closer & closer so I freaked out and cut the winch line so the trucks wouldn't be smashed needless to say I'm buying a warren
Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
You can't find it because the OP is now banned from TW. Ill PM you the new location for the data.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
I rather be wheelin'
ChrisInVT is a jewel in the roughChrisInVT is a jewel in the roughChrisInVT is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
You can't find it because the OP is now banned from TW. Ill PM you the new location for the data.
Well, that would do it.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Just take rtv and run a bead where that clear seal went. Then put it back together and seal off all connections coming out of the solenoid.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've had mine on a while now. Almost 2 years and I sealed up the solenoid and the winch housing and no issues here.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
In a wet climate like VT I wouldn't forget

Old 11-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps you want to sell it to me cheap
Old 11-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Yep i never sealed mine and when i was winching one day the winch would not stop and it was pulling the trucks closer & closer so I freaked out and cut the winch line so the trucks wouldn't be smashed needless to say I'm buying a warren
Warn I assume The warn VR8000's are only like $150 more than the XRC8's. And their made in USA
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Warn I assume The warn VR8000's are only like $150 more than the XRC8's. And their made in USA
They are assembled in the US. I would rather get an M8000 but even with the VR8000 you get a better warranty and better customer service than with smittybuilt
Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cummins6speed View Post
They are assembled in the US. I would rather get an M8000 but even with the VR8000 you get a better warranty and better customer service than with smittybuilt

The VR is a little slower than the M. Still Warn quality and same warranty though.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #12

Meh... Warn...

Superwinch is where it's at.

I still maintain my XRC8 has been excellent for it's cost, with a little RTV.

It's saved my ass and a few others plenty of times.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
I rather be wheelin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by barlowrs View Post
I'm not here to start a winch debate, I already spent enough on the pair and I'm not looking to purchase more winches.

I read a lot of positive reviews about the them before I purchased mine (there was even a huge thread on Pirate4x4 and a bunch of good reviews on expeditionportal), the only negative things I could find was they were slow and the factory grease was crap (I disassembled, cleaned, and repacked with Lucas grease).

I'm going to give them a call and see where that gets me. I already have the solenoid disassembled so I think I'm going to clean it up, make sure the coils work properly, check the wires for corrosion, clean up the contacts, use 1/2 my tube of dielectric grease, and seal it up good.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #15
Blah,blah,blah...
TNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to all
Army: 31A
TNRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I extended all the wiring on mine and mounted the solenoid in the engine bay next to the factory fuse lock. I relocated the plug-in to my front bumper. with this configuration there will be no moisture issues.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
I rather be wheelin'

I wouldn't be too confident, my truck sat in a garage since the winch was installed and this happened...
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #17
Blah,blah,blah...
TNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to allTNRunner is a name known to all
Army: 31A
TNRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInVT View Post
I wouldn't be too confident, my truck sat in a garage since the winch was installed and this happened...
that ain't good! I bought an extra solenoid just in case, and if they corrode I will purchase the new X2O solenoid. Completely waterproof? http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/150.htm
Old 11-17-2011, 03:20 AM   #18
I rather be wheelin'

Yeah, if I actually used this winch I wouldn't be so annoyed about the solenoid failing, I'd just buy another. But for it to sit unused out of the weather and have this happen? Well that's a problem.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #19

Seal it up. RTV around the clear seal. RTV around all terminals. RTV around all wires exiting the solenoid. No issues with LOTS of submersion.

Krookz posted nearly the same pictures here and then he did a write up for sealing after his went to shit. Then he was banned and that was all lost.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #20
Crunchy Taco
blacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant futureblacktaco21 has a brilliant future

Name: Chris
blacktaco21's Tacoma Gallery
so will someone do another writeup? or at least add some pics bc i'm installing this winch in the next couple of weeks once my relentless bumper gets in from Eric. My XRC8 has been sitting in the box in the garage for a little bit, hope its not going to fail soon..

Products Discussed in this Thread