Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Sealing your Smittybilt XRC8 solenoid before it fails

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys.

M8000 vs XRC8...

Well... I think more separates the two than just a solenoid. I think the XRC8 being a rebranded t-max (though likely with corners cut) is a decent little winch. I think with what I've done here you can make it fairly reliable and stout. Is the M8000 still a better winch? Probably. I imagine the gear set and the motor are both made of better parts. I have trouble believing the solenoid is any better, after reading plenty of issues with Warn solenoids. Maybe it's better sealed from the factory though?

I think the XRC8 is a good winch if you take the time to look yours over and do a little modding. I think the M8000 is probably a decent winch out of the box, but for 180 more? Maybe...as I do think you're taking a chance with the motor and gears on the xrc8 more than the solenoid but as you can see 2 years and everything inside still looks good, and I've taken this winch a lot of nasty places and used it plenty. I know that's a little inconclusive maybe but gotta think about the price. If you're not too concerned about it breaking and being stranded then perhaps the xrc8 is a decent buy, get a good life out of it and if it brakes you're not out much. You could replace for a little more than it would have cost you to buy an M8000 originally, and you don't have to drop all the money at once. Or if that's not your style, read on...

I do believe though that a superwinch x9 or ep9 or talon 9.5 is the way to go if you want to spend a little more. Superior solenoids and quality winches. Everything I've read would lead me to believe I'd rather spend the money here than with Warn if I wanted something more than the xrc8.

Quote:
The all NEW TALON Performance Series is a game changer and has the potential to alter the outcome of the global winch industry. AKA, The Winch of Prey, designed and engineered by Superwinch.
This is the industry's best truly sealed vehicle recovery winch assembly. All seals on the entire winch meet the IP67 standard, from the outermost end of the high performance motor and groundbreaking solenoid to the 2-stage planetary and 2-stage spur gearbox. The sealed 5.2 and 6.0 HP motors deliver a quick but safe 62 FPM line speed at a low 75 amp draw. Heat sink-styled motor cap maintains low temperatures under the heaviest loads. The solenoid will keep out water, mud, snow, and dust and has a patented venting feature that allows the contacts to resist water and release contact damaging internal condensation. The VS4 Solenoid (Vented, Submersible, and Stabilized with Sealed Socket) is simply the best winch solenoid in the world, and it's located inside this modern-styled rugged enclosure.
The innovated "Dual-stop" 100% load holding brake design provides zero drag on cable in and is located inside the gearbox away from the drum to eliminate heat transfer to the synthetic rope. A special steel drum is constructed with high tensile strength material to resist the unique loading characteristic of the optional synthetic 3/8" x 80' rope rated at 17,600 lbs ensures a safe pull. There's an ergonomically shaped hand-held sealed remote with brilliant LED light for assisting in night-time winching. The remote also meets the tough IP67 standard, which ensures water, mud, snow, and dust is kept out. The chrome plated aluminum ergo-free spool knob lifts and turns effortlessly, easily rotating in 45˚ increments for custom and "in bumper" applications.
The laser-etched aerodynamically shaped extruded aluminum tie bars reduce weight, and the three tie-bar construction adds strength and structural rigidity between drum supports. The tie-bar bracket includes steel-lined rubber insulated mounts to stabilize the solenoid and reduce vibration and fatigue
Covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty, which includes an industry-first 3-year warranty on all electrical components, the absolute BEST in the INDUSTRY!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Before I bolted it back into the truck I drilled and tapped for a grease fitting. Not sure it's recommended but I did it!

I might as well mention that even after cutting holes into the boots on the electrical cables, everything but the posts was pretty rusty. I cleaned it all up and bolted it back together but before I slipped the boots back over, I smeared dielectric grease all over the posts and cable ends, might get a little dirty but should keep them from corroding any further.

Got it back in the truck and tested it out, works fine, spooled all the line back up nice and tight and ready to go for any future adventures.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you so much for this write up! Just finished doing this today. Man is that grease terrible! It remained in little clumps even in mineral spirits!

By the way, I needed to either extend the wires coming off the winch or rotate the motor hub so that the wires would reach the solenoid after I rotated it (different thread), so I tried rotating the hub first. It went back together just fine, and it all still works, so I think that that's an option for your winch where water collects on the terminals.
Thanks again!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #24

Im not sure if the new grease helps yours freespool easier. Mine didn't but I feel better about it at any rate. Good point on my clocking the motor end I saw no reason you couldn't. Though I wonder where the drains are, not that it matters as I've got mine feet forward rather than down anyway.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:57 PM   #25
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, the freespool is a little easier, but not by much. It was sounding gritty before, though, and now it doesn't, which is good.
Mine's feet forward, too. I'm not too worried...I don't really plan on doing any water crossings that deep right now anyways (I am a desert rat after all).
Old 10-03-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery

Sorry to revive an old thread, but corrosion happens lol. This solenoid was never used. I moved the solenoid under the hood about a week after it was in my bumper. It rained maybe once, good thing amazon has good customer service. They sent me a whole new winch. Just a heads up.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #27

Yikes!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #28
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
dam better check mine.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #29
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
So nearly having the xrc10 for nearly 5 years my solenoid finally took a crap..
Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #30

I guess that's not too bad. Kind of.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #31

So with a few years and lots of wheeling on this thing it started giving me troubles.

Pulled the solenoid apart, a little bit of arcing but no corrosion! Worked perfectly if I jumped the pins on the connector so I figured it was either the other side of the connector or somewhere in the controller.

Turned out to be a really shitty crimp job on the other side of the connector.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #32
iJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of lightiJDub is a glorious beacon of light
iJDub's Tacoma Gallery
Did Smittybilt ever address the solenoid issue and fix it? My new one purchased a few months ago seems sealed pretty well or should I take it apart anyway?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #33
Consistently Irregular
IronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really niceIronCladTRD is just really nice
Name: Corbin
IronCladTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I think the new X2O model has had less issues. But then again it's not as old!