Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

my White Rim Trail Video

Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dave
canyonchaser's Tacoma Gallery
my White Rim Trail Video

Nothing too gnarly, just the White Rim Trail, which they've totally graded and leveled out since the last time I was down there. But I'm still quite happy with how the final version of this video came out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIxVfpsTXQA

dp
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
To be continued...
Gorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shedGorillazrus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gorillazrus's Tacoma Gallery
Man I wish we had scenery like this here in Florida!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorillazrus View Post
Man I wish we had scenery like this here in Florida!
x2 all we have is flat swamp...
Old 11-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonchaser View Post
they've totally graded and leveled out
That sucks.

I did the 100 mile loop on my bike once with my buddies "4-wheeling"

I believe it's called Murphy's Hogback... is that still impressive? I'd imagine they can't do much in terms of leveling and grading that.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Duae Rotarum per Sempre
canyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shedcanyonchaser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
That sucks.

I did the 100 mile loop on my bike once with my buddies "4-wheeling"

I believe it's called Murphy's Hogback... is that still impressive? I'd imagine they can't do much in terms of leveling and grading that.
No, its not level, but it sure has been graded. It was smooth with no rocks on the climb. As with most of the trail, you could see where they had filled in, and made it a nice easy road.

From what I was told, this has been done to make it safer/more appealing for mountain bikes. I too have cycled the loop and thought it was lame on a bicycle. So many better places in the world to pedal. And I pedal over 3000 miles a year, so its not like I'm a incompetent fatty

dp
Old 11-19-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Former Ford is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Dive/Recovery
Former Ford's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it could easily be done with a totaly stock truck on road treads.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No, its not level, but it sure has been graded. It was smooth with no rocks on the climb. As with most of the trail, you could see where they had filled in, and made it a nice easy road.

From what I was told, this has been done to make it safer/more appealing for mountain bikes. I too have cycled the loop and thought it was lame on a bicycle. So many better places in the world to pedal. And I pedal over 3000 miles a year, so its not like I'm a incompetent fatty

dp
I did it in '97 and it was pretty tame. But I wasn't looking for gnalry trail ridiing.

I was out there just pedaling, taking in all the beautiful scenery.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Ford View Post
When I did it (a couple of times) in the early to mid 90s, there were Subarus doing it.

And that's before the beefier Outbacks were in production.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Nice video! I rode my bike on that trail years ago when I was 16 and camped on the rim (with camping permits)!
You really brought back some good times!

Did you drive through the salt flats?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Ford View Post
Yeah, I did the vast majority of it in 2-wheel drive. There were only a few steep climbs where the dirt was really churned up and powdery that needed 4x4. I also went into 4-low a couple of times so I could descend steep sections without over-working the brakes. But you could pretty much do this in a Subaru now.

dp
Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
great video man!

how long did it take you to do the loop?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
great video man!

how long did it take you to do the loop?
Thanks!

We did it in two days, it's just over 100 miles. We could have pushed and did it in a day, but we wanted to take our time and be able to stop and gaff off whenever we wanted.

dp
Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFast View Post
Nice video! I rode my bike on that trail years ago when I was 16 and camped on the rim (with camping permits)!
You really brought back some good times!

Did you drive through the salt flats?
The Salt Flats are in an entirely different part of the State. Bonneville is about two or three hours or so West of Salt Lake. Moab is about four hours south-east of Salt Lake.

The Salt Flats are only really cool the first time. Then it's just big, flat, empty sunburn maker.

dp
Old 12-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
TRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to allTRDSPORTtaco is a name known to all

TRDSPORTtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I was just in Moab for a week visiting my wife's family for Thanksgiving!! Unfortunately I didn't have any "ME" time to go do any trails this trip. We'll probably go back to camp and hit a few trails next Summer though.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
newfie
conscript88 has a spectacular aura aboutconscript88 has a spectacular aura about
conscript88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I did the vast majority of it in 2-wheel drive. There were only a few steep climbs where the dirt was really churned up and powdery that needed 4x4. I also went into 4-low a couple of times so I could descend steep sections without over-working the brakes. But you could pretty much do this in a Subaru now.

dp

Hey now my Impreza has seen some pretty nasty stuff, but i get where your comming from.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
nyrm98 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
nyrm98's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDSPORTtaco View Post
I was just in Moab for a week visiting my wife's family for Thanksgiving!! Unfortunately I didn't have any "ME" time to go do any trails this trip. We'll probably go back to camp and hit a few trails next Summer though.

MOAB IN MAY!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Cool vid!
Old 01-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #19
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrm98 View Post
MOAB IN MAY!
x2
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Duae Rotarum per Sempre

Army:
Thanks! Check out the trip report;

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tra...dventures.html

dp