1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XRC-8 vs. M8000, synthetic

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by brp, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Nov 18, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    brp

brp [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am winch shopping and I am looking for peoples' thoughts regarding the following two winches, I put the specs from Amazon.com below:

--Smittybilt XRC-8 Comp Series, $449
    Winch motor is 5.5 horsepower series wound motor
    3-stage planetary gear reduction ratio is 172:1
    It has 11/32 inches x 100 feet (8.2 millimeter x 28.5 meter) long synthetic rope
    It includes 12 feet remote control
    It includes 4 way steel roller fairlead (<-WRONG)

--Warn M8000-s, $995
    Equipped with 100 feet of Warn Spydura synthetic rope
    Includes a ballistic nylon sliding sleeve that provides extra rope protection against abrasion and wear
    8,000 pounds of pulling capacity
    Rubberized ergonomic pistol-grip remote control handle is weather and mud resistant
    Series-wound high speed motor provides fast line speed and strong pulls

I know that people really like the Warn reputation and domestic production. However, at twice the price, for what seems to be a comparable product, Smittybilt seems to make a very competitive product.

If you have personal experience with either product, or a steel cabled M8000, please throw your 2 cents in. Also, if there are substantive differences between the two, the real technical details, please share that as well. Thanks

2. Nov 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    If you can spend that much money...

Get yourself a superwinch and some synthetic rope to go on it. Sell off the steel cable or buy one with syn rope already.

OR get yourself the XRC8. Buy some amsteel blue or a more expensive rope, then spend the rest on shackles snatch block straps etc...

Superwinch Talon 9.5, X9, EP9 or possible LP series

Check around for better prices. Amazon is usually pretty good but... 1000$ for an m8000 with syn rope and you're doing it wrong.

That's about 200 too much IMO.

Having never owned a superwinch or a warn my opinion may not be worth much but I can say definitively that if it were ME buying it, I'd go superwinch, and I will for my next winch. I currently have an XRC8.

3. Nov 18, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
  4. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    I've had the XRC8 Comp for a little over a year. I used it 4 or 5 times last season. If you'd asked me this question before the last use, I would have raved about the winch. It really is a very nice winch for the money. I paid $430 with free shipping at Amazon.

Unfortunately, the last time I went to use it I could not get it to free spool. I was still able to use it but I had to power out first. No matter what I try, the lever is stuck in the engaged position.

I did speak with smittybilt customer service about this. They were sympathetic and said it was most likely jammed and they will replace the parts under warrenty if that is what it needs but I have to take it apart to find out. This means unmounting the bumper (elite) then removing the winch. That is a major event.

If I had to do it over again I'd probably go another route knowing what I know now about the XRC series. The winch is fast and when it works it is great but I need it to be dependable too.

My $.02.

5. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Super Winch.

But out of your choices, Warn.

Products Discussed in

To Top