1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

When You Get Stuck

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by OFFROADCARWASH, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:48 AM
    OFFROADCARWASH

OFFROADCARWASH [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacktown, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2000 Taco customized
    Custom badged black, 100watt LOUDSPEAKER mounted under toolbox, UWS toolbox, All terrain Tires, K&N Ram Air Intake, HUGE flood lights mounted to Tool Box, Cobra CB radio, Francis Antenna, HELLA Blue Headlights, 12 Pad LEDS in Cab lights, Husky Liners, Tinted Windows at 15%, Thrush Glass Pack (burned Out) with 4inch Tip..Remote Crank and Intry, 2 12" subs, Blacked out head lights and tail lights.
    Hey guys just wondering of what does everyone do when they get stuck...

Before you are abosultely sure that you are stuck what do you try..Then when you are sure..WHAT DO YOU DO!? haha

:worthless::worthless:

2. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:50 AM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    R.N.D then repeat!!!

also to aviod getting stucki sold my tank for a taco!!!! never benn stuck since!!!
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:51 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I floor it, just to make sure I'm really stuck.

4. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:53 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I used to stick one foot out the door, one foot on the gas, and lift on the a-pillar, but I don't have that car anymore.:rolleyes:

5. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:55 AM
    norcalbb11

norcalbb11 Nor*Cal

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco Sport 4x4
    flowmaster 40 series, tinted windows, airaid CAI, removed 2nd filter, aries black bull bar
    hmmm the only time i got stuck was in my 99 with just a rear locker in the sand but my buddy got in the bed and put some weight back there and we got out

6. Nov 18, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    If you get stuck on a rock, stump or log, survey the situation first to determine the best way to free the vehicle without damaging it. If you're stuck on an object that can be moved, jack up the vehicle and clear away the obstacle. If you're stuck on an object that can't be moved, jack up the vehicle and fill under the tires so that you can drive over the obstacle.

Try letting some of the air out of your tires (to about 10psi) -- just remember to air them up again as soon as you can. (Remember that lowering tire pressure also reduces the vehicle's overall height and therefore the vehicle's ground clearance.) Lock the differential locks (if fitted), and use as high a gear as possible. After shoveling away the mud, dirt, sand or snow that is blocking your tires, clear a path in the direction you'll be traveling, so the tires can get enough traction. Carpet strips, wood, floor mats, brush, rocks, clothing or sleeping bags can be placed as traction aids under the tires in the direction of travel.

If you still can't get out, jack up the vehicle and fill the area under the tires with sand, rocks, logs, brush, packed snow or any combination of these. If the jack sinks into the ground, use piece of wood as a base. (Never crawl under a vehicle that is supported by a jack!)

Snow chains are not only a benefit in snow and ice, but can work wonders in mud as well. Typically, you'll fit them on the rear wheels, especially if you're climbing up a hill or towing. Sometimes it may be necessary to fit them to the front or to all four wheels.

The best way to get unstuck is with a winch. A winch takes the hard work out of vehicle recovery. It also allows a lone vehicle a means of freeing itself. Another vehicle can be used as an anchor, but natural anchors, such as trees, stumps and rocks, are the handiest. When no natural anchors are available, a spare tire, log or any other similar object that can be partially buried can form an anchor. It may be wise to use several items and group them as a single anchor. Never winch with fewer than five turns of cable around the winch drum. With fewer turns, the cable may break loose from the drum under heavy load.

Few pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Nov 18, 2008 at 12:02 PM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    good winch tip --^^ here's another...be sure to put something over the winchline incase of a break so the cable don't cut off yer head. there are bags availible from Warn, ARB etc., but you can use a heavy coat etc. if in a pinch.

[​IMG]

if i ever get a winch, i'll have me one of these...

http://www.pullpal.com/

best way not to get stuck is make someone else go first :D

8. Nov 18, 2008 at 12:13 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    neontrail thats a nice write up, rep for u!

9. Jan 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    thx man !

10. Jan 30, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    - Lower air pressure.

- Put rocks or logs under tires

- Get out the shovel and start digging.

11. Jan 30, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    At that "I'm about to get stuck moment", I apply steady throttle and turn the front wheels side to side. This lets them bite more as they're sinking - sometimes they'll bite enough to keep pulling your forward (assuming 4x4, obviously).

As soon as a I realize "I'm stuck" - I immediately stop giving it gas. At this point, wheel spin is the ultimate enemy.

If I have something to winch off of, I'll just winch off of it.

If I don't have something to winch off, I start digging. You need to clear the vehicle of the mud/sand - meaning make sure the frame, differentials, skid plates, etc. have clearance. Dig out in front of the tires in the direction of travel. The key is that the tires are not fighting an uphill battle out of the hole.

If it's really bad, I'll get my hi lift and start piling rocks/tree limbs under the tires. The idea is to get something solid under there that is going to disperse the weight.

The key in recovery is to take it slow. Better to dig for an hour than to dig for a half hour and try to get out when it's still not possible. You'll undo all your work and just find yourself worse off than when you started.

It's important to note that when winching you should generally be lightly on the gas, so the wheels dig their way out instead of getting dragged sideways or what not (unless you have a perfectly straight pull).

12. Jan 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    well for those of us that dont have winches, i have found a comealong to be a great help as well as the custom floor mats i made out of old carpet in the garage. other than that, like everyone else said, start digging. here is an example of me using both tactics at once!
    st4_c4e1425d05d45cb24aca11a325becd8a0b11824c.jpg
    notice the comealong and carpet being used together for maximum efficiency
    st2_803f79ef4f32de7a2a820be33208c36dec57023b.jpg
    notice the carpet taken directly from my truck

13. Jan 30, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    2 year old thread still alive :)

14. Jan 30, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    05TRD4WD

05TRD4WD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OFFROAD 4X4
    ; 17 x 9 xd revolvers wrapped in 295/70-R17, volant cold air intake, Gibson exhaust, BHLM, Yellow fog covers, access rollup tonneau, kenwood dnx-9960, all jl audio, jl stealth box, 900/5 amp, Fab Tech 6" lift
    whenever i get stuck i wonder why i havent bought a winch yet

15. Jan 31, 2010 at 2:39 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    every stuck is different

stuck upside down teetering on the top of a hill held up by a busted bedside and a 3inch tree = winch and straps no question

stuck in the mud theres all kinds of options depending on what kind of mud...how deep...etc

ive had a few situations where i could put the truck in 2wd, unlocked, and brake stand while someone pushes my rear end so that it would slide sideways until i got unstuck

16. Jan 31, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    aaaahahahahahahahaha

17. Feb 14, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Stuck in sand... pre-'09 4WD Off Road or all 2WD: DEFLATE tires to 10 psi, clear sand away from tires and differential(s) if blocking movement.

'09 and newer Off Road 4WD: Use A-TRAC!

18. Feb 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    luni

luni Resident Gun-toting Hippie

Member:
    First Name:
    Burt's Mustache
    Ft Bragg, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR
    Icon c/os, TSB 4 leaf pack, Unbreakable Fab tube winch bumper, Mile Marker SEC12000, Roadless Gear winch control panel, Bud Built skids, URD Pipe Bomb Y pipe, snorkeled rear diff breather, no carpet
    You can use shopping carts as waffle boards if you're in a pinch. Sometimes the dirt on the medians is really soft after some rain if they've been planting and you can sink a tire.

Wait, what are you guys talking about?

In my experience, take off your pants, start pulling winch cable in your undies, let 12,000lbs winch do all the work. Cry self to sleep.

19. Feb 14, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    Bryan07sport

Bryan07sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Smyrna, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD off-road.
    Bilstein 6112/5100. Icon progressive AAL. Overland Torque Tune. Toyota roof rack. Toyota bed extender. Gator trifold tonneau. Bora .75" wheel spacers. 265/75r16 tires.
    start in 1st and see how many gears u can shift through in 4hi. if you can hit 6th, you're definitely stuck. I'm a big advocate of keeping your ass out of trouble unless youve got your recovery buddy close by.

"that was some of the best offroading i've seen yet, right up until you got stuck. you never, never leave your wingman"

bring straps. lots. i tend to break them. chains, whatever, and rip that bitch out with the other vehicle.

also a big fan of the high jack it and tip it over so its out of ruts.

20. Feb 14, 2010 at 12:08 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The very first thing I do....is get out and walk around the vehicle (if its safe to do so) to see what the situation looks like and go from there.

Products Discussed in

To Top