Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

When You Get Stuck

Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
OFFROADCARWASH is on a distinguished road

Army: Will start basic training in July of this year.
OFFROADCARWASH's Tacoma Gallery
Talking When You Get Stuck

Hey guys just wondering of what does everyone do when they get stuck...

Before you are abosultely sure that you are stuck what do you try..Then when you are sure..WHAT DO YOU DO!? haha

Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #2
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
R.N.D then repeat!!!

also to aviod getting stucki sold my tank for a taco!!!! never benn stuck since!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I floor it, just to make sure I'm really stuck.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I used to stick one foot out the door, one foot on the gas, and lift on the a-pillar, but I don't have that car anymore.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
hmmm the only time i got stuck was in my 99 with just a rear locker in the sand but my buddy got in the bed and put some weight back there and we got out
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #6
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
If you get stuck

If you get stuck on a rock, stump or log, survey the situation first to determine the best way to free the vehicle without damaging it. If you're stuck on an object that can be moved, jack up the vehicle and clear away the obstacle. If you're stuck on an object that can't be moved, jack up the vehicle and fill under the tires so that you can drive over the obstacle.

Try letting some of the air out of your tires (to about 10psi) -- just remember to air them up again as soon as you can. (Remember that lowering tire pressure also reduces the vehicle's overall height and therefore the vehicle's ground clearance.) Lock the differential locks (if fitted), and use as high a gear as possible. After shoveling away the mud, dirt, sand or snow that is blocking your tires, clear a path in the direction you'll be traveling, so the tires can get enough traction. Carpet strips, wood, floor mats, brush, rocks, clothing or sleeping bags can be placed as traction aids under the tires in the direction of travel.

If you still can't get out, jack up the vehicle and fill the area under the tires with sand, rocks, logs, brush, packed snow or any combination of these. If the jack sinks into the ground, use piece of wood as a base. (Never crawl under a vehicle that is supported by a jack!)

Snow chains are not only a benefit in snow and ice, but can work wonders in mud as well. Typically, you'll fit them on the rear wheels, especially if you're climbing up a hill or towing. Sometimes it may be necessary to fit them to the front or to all four wheels.

The best way to get unstuck is with a winch. A winch takes the hard work out of vehicle recovery. It also allows a lone vehicle a means of freeing itself. Another vehicle can be used as an anchor, but natural anchors, such as trees, stumps and rocks, are the handiest. When no natural anchors are available, a spare tire, log or any other similar object that can be partially buried can form an anchor. It may be wise to use several items and group them as a single anchor. Never winch with fewer than five turns of cable around the winch drum. With fewer turns, the cable may break loose from the drum under heavy load.

Few pics

Old 11-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
good winch tip --^^ here's another...be sure to put something over the winchline incase of a break so the cable don't cut off yer head. there are bags availible from Warn, ARB etc., but you can use a heavy coat etc. if in a pinch.

if i ever get a winch, i'll have me one of these...

http://www.pullpal.com/

best way not to get stuck is make someone else go first
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
neontrail thats a nice write up, rep for u!
Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
neontrail thats a nice write up, rep for u!
thx man !
Old 01-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
- Lower air pressure.

- Put rocks or logs under tires

- Get out the shovel and start digging.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
At that "I'm about to get stuck moment", I apply steady throttle and turn the front wheels side to side. This lets them bite more as they're sinking - sometimes they'll bite enough to keep pulling your forward (assuming 4x4, obviously).

As soon as a I realize "I'm stuck" - I immediately stop giving it gas. At this point, wheel spin is the ultimate enemy.

If I have something to winch off of, I'll just winch off of it.

If I don't have something to winch off, I start digging. You need to clear the vehicle of the mud/sand - meaning make sure the frame, differentials, skid plates, etc. have clearance. Dig out in front of the tires in the direction of travel. The key is that the tires are not fighting an uphill battle out of the hole.

If it's really bad, I'll get my hi lift and start piling rocks/tree limbs under the tires. The idea is to get something solid under there that is going to disperse the weight.

The key in recovery is to take it slow. Better to dig for an hour than to dig for a half hour and try to get out when it's still not possible. You'll undo all your work and just find yourself worse off than when you started.

It's important to note that when winching you should generally be lightly on the gas, so the wheels dig their way out instead of getting dragged sideways or what not (unless you have a perfectly straight pull).
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
takern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shedtakern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: marine corps
Name: Tanner
takern's Tacoma Gallery
well for those of us that dont have winches, i have found a comealong to be a great help as well as the custom floor mats i made out of old carpet in the garage. other than that, like everyone else said, start digging. here is an example of me using both tactics at once!

notice the comealong and carpet being used together for maximum efficiency

notice the carpet taken directly from my truck
Old 01-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
2 year old thread still alive
Old 01-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #14
05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed05TRD4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
05TRD4WD's Tacoma Gallery
whenever i get stuck i wonder why i havent bought a winch yet
Old 01-31-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
every stuck is different

stuck upside down teetering on the top of a hill held up by a busted bedside and a 3inch tree = winch and straps no question

stuck in the mud theres all kinds of options depending on what kind of mud...how deep...etc

ive had a few situations where i could put the truck in 2wd, unlocked, and brake stand while someone pushes my rear end so that it would slide sideways until i got unstuck
Old 01-31-2010, 05:08 AM   #16
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
i floor it, just to make sure i'm really stuck.
aaaahahahahahahahaha
Old 02-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Stuck in sand... pre-'09 4WD Off Road or all 2WD: DEFLATE tires to 10 psi, clear sand away from tires and differential(s) if blocking movement.

'09 and newer Off Road 4WD: Use A-TRAC!
Old 02-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #18
Resident Gun-toting Hippie
luni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shedluni is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Medic
Name: Burt's Mustache
luni's Tacoma Gallery
You can use shopping carts as waffle boards if you're in a pinch. Sometimes the dirt on the medians is really soft after some rain if they've been planting and you can sink a tire.

Wait, what are you guys talking about?

In my experience, take off your pants, start pulling winch cable in your undies, let 12,000lbs winch do all the work. Cry self to sleep.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #19
Bryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shedBryan07sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Bryan07sport's Tacoma Gallery
start in 1st and see how many gears u can shift through in 4hi. if you can hit 6th, you're definitely stuck. I'm a big advocate of keeping your ass out of trouble unless youve got your recovery buddy close by.

"that was some of the best offroading i've seen yet, right up until you got stuck. you never, never leave your wingman"

bring straps. lots. i tend to break them. chains, whatever, and rip that bitch out with the other vehicle.

also a big fan of the high jack it and tip it over so its out of ruts.