Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4

Well after having it for a couple of weeks i finally went out and playing with 4x4. The tires on now that came with the truck are some general, generic discoveries that don't have too much tread left, so i knew that may be a hindrance but i didn't do anything today where it was a big deal. Over all the taco did fantastic, and exceeded my expectations with these sub-par tires. Today it made me realize why i'm going to put up with the rough ride, the worse gas mileage, the maintenance repairs and high miles...because this truck is an absolute blast to drive off road, its stupid reliable off road and i just have such a high level of confidence driving it off road. I love the new taco

First time touching dirt driving the truck. I have been eyeing this dirt shortcut up the side of the hill for a couple of years now, but never had a truck that i could take up and try it. the first part right after the pavement is fairly steep, then it mellows out and curves up to the road the next switch back up.got up the steep part without even slipping the tires once.

there were 3 hippies hiking around, and i couldn't tell if they were staring at us impressed we were crawling up this trail, or if they were mad that we were 4x4ing on their precious mother earth

The top part was a steep, sandy transition. I checked it out first and put it in 4lo to be safe, there was a bit of slip, but nothing major at all and came over it no problem

just playing around on some rutted hills

This was the only section that actually gave us problems. I let my friend drive and for some reason he kept getting stopped and spinning the front and back left tires and not getting up it on the right side of the path. After a couple of tries i hopped in, came at it at a slightly different angle and got up it pretty easily, i guess i just got a better perspective outside at first.

and a few posing shots

Attached Thumbnails
First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-first-trip-1.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-2.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-2.5.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-3.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-4.jpg  

First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-5.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-8.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-10.jpg   First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4-ft-11.jpg  
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet man! Stoked for you. That was the best feeling ever when i got my first tacoma 4x4.

Yeah, us open-diff guys have to navigate our way up hills, makes it trickier. Gotta pick the right approach angle and good maneuvering. Speed is also a factor.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #4
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Let the addiction begin...
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed06rubi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kenney
06rubi's Tacoma Gallery
You'll come back to that spot in a couple years and drive it in 2wd and remember the first time you went wheelin and laugh to your self for thinking it was hard. Granted by then you'll have the truck lifted with bigger tires and have conquered harder trails. We've all been there and that's why we go back!

EDIT: If i came off like I was implying you didn't do anything hard I didn't mean too. Just sayin ur gonna do harder stuff in the future and remember this trip.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
Let the addiction begin...
yup, i see this being a never ending money pit for as long as it can roll on all 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
You'll come back to that spot in a couple years and drive it in 2wd and remember the first time you went wheelin and laugh to your self for thinking it was hard. Granted by then you'll have the truck lifted with bigger tires and have conquered harder trails. We've all been there and that's why we go back!
oh ill go drive it in 2wd next week haha. If any of it was hard it would have taken more then the first try to go through it. Todays goal was just get the feel of the tacos pull and break it in, not see what i can and cant climb in pre runner mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06rubi View Post
EDIT: If i came off like I was implying you didn't do anything hard I didn't mean too. Just sayin ur gonna do harder stuff in the future and remember this trip.
oh no you're totally fine. I am fully aware that nothing i did today was even remotely ground breaking, and i have a loooooong way to go to knowing what im doing as far as off roading goes. And im positive im going to be doing more and more challenging trails and for sure look back and think dang, i was excited driving on that...i guess it just felt rewarding today because i have been eyeing thoes trails for some time and finally getting to do them, and do them with ease was like checking off a huge goal on my list.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Looks like you had fun. But like others have said your truck was probably thinking, "man, can't wait until we get in some really fun stuff"

I've been wheeling with my truck for 12 years and just this past summer my expectations were far exceeded on a trail. And my truck is fully stock
Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
facemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shedfacemob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chase
facemob's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. its nice to see fresh enthusiasm . it IS an addiction.....and down the rabbit hole we go.....
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on the new ride, we'll have to go wheeling at some point.