1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time off roading with my new to me 96' 4x4

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by IDtrucks, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Well after having it for a couple of weeks i finally went out and playing with 4x4. The tires on now that came with the truck are some general, generic discoveries that don't have too much tread left, so i knew that may be a hindrance but i didn't do anything today where it was a big deal. Over all the taco did fantastic, and exceeded my expectations with these sub-par tires. Today it made me realize why i'm going to put up with the rough ride, the worse gas mileage, the maintenance repairs and high miles...because this truck is an absolute blast to drive off road, its stupid reliable off road and i just have such a high level of confidence driving it off road. I love the new taco:D

First time touching dirt driving the truck. I have been eyeing this dirt shortcut up the side of the hill for a couple of years now, but never had a truck that i could take up and try it. the first part right after the pavement is fairly steep, then it mellows out and curves up to the road the next switch back up.got up the steep part without even slipping the tires once.

First Trip 1.jpg

there were 3 hippies hiking around, and i couldn't tell if they were staring at us impressed we were crawling up this trail, or if they were mad that we were 4x4ing on their precious mother earth

FT 2.jpg

The top part was a steep, sandy transition. I checked it out first and put it in 4lo to be safe, there was a bit of slip, but nothing major at all and came over it no problem

FT 2.5.jpg

just playing around on some rutted hills

FT 3.jpg
    FT 4.jpg
    FT 5.jpg

This was the only section that actually gave us problems. I let my friend drive and for some reason he kept getting stopped and spinning the front and back left tires and not getting up it on the right side of the path. After a couple of tries i hopped in, came at it at a slightly different angle and got up it pretty easily, i guess i just got a better perspective outside at first.

FT 8.jpg

and a few posing shots
    FT 10.jpg
    FT 11.jpg

2. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes

Just wait till you hit some real fun stuff, you'll be addicted! :D

3. Dec 9, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Sweet man! Stoked for you. That was the best feeling ever when i got my first tacoma 4x4.

Yeah, us open-diff guys have to navigate our way up hills, makes it trickier. Gotta pick the right approach angle and good maneuvering. Speed is also a factor.

4. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:03 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    Let the addiction begin...

5. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    You'll come back to that spot in a couple years and drive it in 2wd and remember the first time you went wheelin and laugh to your self for thinking it was hard. Granted by then you'll have the truck lifted with bigger tires and have conquered harder trails. We've all been there and that's why we go back!

EDIT: If i came off like I was implying you didn't do anything hard I didn't mean too. Just sayin ur gonna do harder stuff in the future and remember this trip.

6. Dec 9, 2011 at 11:49 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    yup, i see this being a never ending money pit for as long as it can roll on all 4 wheels.

oh ill go drive it in 2wd next week haha. If any of it was hard it would have taken more then the first try to go through it. Todays goal was just get the feel of the tacos pull and break it in, not see what i can and cant climb in pre runner mode;)

oh no you're totally fine. I am fully aware that nothing i did today was even remotely ground breaking, and i have a loooooong way to go to knowing what im doing as far as off roading goes. And im positive im going to be doing more and more challenging trails and for sure look back and think dang, i was excited driving on that...i guess it just felt rewarding today because i have been eyeing thoes trails for some time and finally getting to do them, and do them with ease was like checking off a huge goal on my list.

7. Dec 10, 2011 at 8:41 AM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Nice. Looks like you had fun. But like others have said your truck was probably thinking, "man, can't wait until we get in some really fun stuff"

I've been wheeling with my truck for 12 years and just this past summer my expectations were far exceeded on a trail. And my truck is fully stock

8. Dec 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    Awesome. its nice to see fresh enthusiasm . it IS an addiction.....and down the rabbit hole we go.....

9. Dec 10, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    n0rth

n0rth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J.W.
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    2009 Tacoma Access Cab SR5, 4wd, 2.7L URD S/C, 4:88's ARB lockers, 36x9.8r16 Radial TSL
    Congrats on the new ride, we'll have to go wheeling at some point.

10. Dec 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    ben is going to be close to boise this summer and we were going to go exploring and wheeling. Hopefully by then i will have tires and a lift so i can keep up with your destroyer of trails.

Products Discussed in

To Top