Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off road etiquette........

Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Off road etiquette........

I went to my folks house today, and there was an accident and the road was closed. Only one way up there, so traffic had to wait. I figured it was a good time to go off roading. Well, away I went. On my way back, I saw a truck comming down a pretty steep climb I was biggining. I immidiatly pulled off to let him have right of way. He stopped, and waved me up, at which point I stayed my place. He continued his decent and waved at me as he passed. He happened to be driveing a Tacoma.
Anyhow, I wanted to start a post so people can post some Off Roading Etiquette tips.
#1. Vehicle going down ALWAYS has right of way
Old 11-27-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
IF your on a trail and someone is behind you eager to pass you slow down let him go ahead of you.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
go shit in your hat
brianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianr is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post

x2million.

#2. Dont go ripping past someone whos stopped; two inches from the side of their truck, OR making tons of DUST.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
3. If you find someone thats stuck help em. Even if it's just taking them to where they can get cell service.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #5
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed that in the desert everyone always ask if you need help good thing!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
I noticed that in the desert everyone always ask if you need help good thing!

I think it's because everyone's been stuck in 3 foot soft sand that they didn't see and they know how much it sucks
Old 11-28-2008, 06:50 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I know there are guids and other things, but I was just wanting for our members to post thier personal take on it. Sometimes someone may have an idea or advise thats not posted. And its a great chance for everyone to post their input.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know there are guids and other things, but I was just wanting for our members to post thier personal take on it. Sometimes someone may have an idea or advise thats not posted. And its a great chance for everyone to post their input.
That's my contribution. I'm the owner and producer of that website.

But, if I have to input them into 1 message at a time, I can do that too.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I think Killer Red Taco is correct, uphill charge has the right of way, but if met in the middle the downhill vehicle should (if able) pull to one side. I know in hiking trails the uphill climber has right of way.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
I think Killer Red Taco is correct, uphill charge has the right of way, but if met in the middle the downhill vehicle should (if able) pull to one side. I know in hiking trails the uphill climber has right of way.
The downhill vehicle has priority because of 'braking'. Gravity is pulling them down the hill regardless, if their brakes fail....there's nothing they can do. An uphill vehicle has momentum and power (gas pedal).

And seriously - if the hill is steep enough where you can't make it up under normal power (or could get stuck on it), then there should only be ONE VEHICLE at a time. Wait for that vehicle to clear the trail entirely before making the decent/accent.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #13
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
If the hill is that slippery/dangerous etc then a spotter needs to get out and close the hill down to anyone coming the other way.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
cam-shaft has a spectacular aura aboutcam-shaft has a spectacular aura about

cam-shaft's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Bump to pass.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
You always smoke a doobie or have a beer with the guy that pulls you out!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
And at the end of the day when you're off the trails, you always have a beer with the guy that pulls you out!
Fixed it for ya.
Never drink & drive. Never go offroad alone. Always wear your seatbelts (to name a few).
Old 11-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Aspiring wrench monkey
TacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of lightTacoCo is a glorious beacon of light

TacoCo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I always mess that one up, because it's the opposite for hiking etiquette. Uphill hiker always has the right of way.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
Stop talking and START wheeling
RicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really nice

Army: Co.C 6/31st Inf.
RicnDenver's Tacoma Gallery
Stay On The Trail:
Nuff said.

Do Not Litter:
If you pack it in, pack it out. Keep Co. beautiful.

Leave the area cleaner than we found it:
When we are stoped, take a look around, if you see trash, just pick it up and throw it away.

Don't EVER bring a sick truck to the trail:
If your rig isnt running right, leave it at home, catch a ride with someone, it really stinks fixing someones rig on the trail, even worse when they knew it wasnt running right, and it just puts a bummer on the whole day.

Keep pets under control:
No one wants to be hurt, or hurt your pets.

Respect your fellow wheelers:
If you use their stuff, offer to get them a couple bucks, especially with respect to airing up. For folks who run CO2, it costs to refill, and its nice to offer.

Radio Chatter:
Keep it short and sweet and no foul language.

This is just a few things we do.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #20
^^^^ 3%er ^^^^
Packman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPackman73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Packman73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicnDenver View Post

Do Not Litter:
If you pack it in, pack it out. Keep Co. beautiful.

Leave the area cleaner than we found it:
When we are stoped, take a look around, if you see trash, just pick it up and throw it away.
As a hunter/target shooter, these are really important to me. REALLY important. Good post.