Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Trails in Northern California?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #1
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Trails in Northern California?

I live in the bay area, and me and my GF are looking for some places to take the tacoma on a little adventure. I don't have a crazy lift or 35" tires or anything, but I do have 4wd and We are looking for some dirt trails. I live on the peninsula specifically but don't mind going south, although not "too" far (<50 miles).

I've heard Hollister has some, but I have also heard its more "hardcore". We are mainly looking for some smaller trails, preferably ones where a good hike can be had as well.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Wildjones is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Wildjones's Tacoma Gallery
Hollister Hills is fun. Its mostly medium to easy trails. I go with my buddy in his Tundra ('til I get my Taco anyways ) often and he has 33s and a leveling kit on his truck. We have hit all the Blue trails, just tstay away from the black diamonds and Tank Trap and you will be fine. If you find it, the quarry is fun, but definitely suited for shorter wheelbase vehicles.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
mike1147 is on a distinguished road
Army:
mike1147's Tacoma Gallery
Hollister Hills is about your only option if you want to stay within 50 miles. There is also Carnegie, but it is primarily for bikes and ATVs. Check out http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1170 for all state OHV parks.

Cow Mountain in Ukiah is good. http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

There are also a lot of trails in the Mendocino Nat Forest. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mendo...25124&actid=32

There are tons of trails in the Sierras. Get the Funtrek book for Northern CA. The Backcountry Adventures books by Massey and Wilson are also good if you are looking for easier trails.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
There are a ton more up North as well as towards the Sierras. Easily two dozen trails. You can check this link out but they are going to be out of the 50 mile range.

http://www.norcalttora.com/trails/
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

great info guys thanks. I will look into that funtrek book. 50 miles isn't my limit, but anything more is a full day trip for us.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
not sure how far your planning on going, i went to downieville last year. that was really fun
Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
FPS-a-holic

Just ordered that fun trek book.

One of the books on amazon was 16.47, the other was 998.47 LOL. I bought the 16.47 one
Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
We should set up another trail meet/run for spring time.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
OverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud ofOverRated has much to be proud of
Name: David
OverRated's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
I'm sure in
Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
instagram: ATC510
sytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsytfu510 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Infantry
Name: Alex
sytfu510's Tacoma Gallery
I may be down, I need to get my truck out for once.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Wildjones is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Wildjones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd be in, even if I have to ride along with my buddy in his Tundra
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
FPS-a-holic

Got my fun trek book. Its a really good book, would have been nice to see it in color though! Some of those trails in tahoe look to be fun. We usually go up there a couple times a year.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM   #14
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverRated View Post
I'm sure in
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTaco View Post
I'd be interested in doin a run with you guys now that I'm a few hours closer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytfu510 View Post
I may be down, I need to get my truck out for once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjones View Post
I'd be in, even if I have to ride along with my buddy in his Tundra
Someone needs to start a thread and set it up. I'd put it together but Im a prerunner. I'll hopefully have an off road rig by spring but who knows.

Sorry for the thread jack op.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
FPS-a-holic

Quote:
Someone needs to start a thread and set it up. I'd put it together but Im a prerunner. I'll hopefully have an off road rig by spring but who knows.

Sorry for the thread jack op.
Hey no worries- I might be down too, even though it would be my first!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured View Post
Hey no worries- I might be down too, even though it would be my first!!!
The guys on the forum are great people and lots of fun. Once you go out to any of the NorCal meets you'll be hooked.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The guys on the forum are great people and lots of fun. Once you go out to any of the NorCal meets you'll be hooked.
A pillsbury/Hull mountain trip would be great once the snow melts.

30 minute dirt road to the lake, enjoy lunch and shooting at the shooting range, then make the trek up the mountain.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Its farther than you posted, but there are some cool trails up towards Graeagle. Once a year they have a camp for handicapped kids, called Camp WAMP, at a Lake Hawley. They are kids from the Sac. area that they bus to graeagle and then pile them into volunteers rigs(mostly jeeps) and trail them in. I along with some other reno4x4.com members brought some of the kids and their gear out, I had an absolute awesome time, and the feeling of helping was great. I had my 05 Dodge Cummins on 35s and was able to get in and out pretty easily. Back on topic, there are some cool trails up there that arent hard core, you should check some of them out, I would wait until spring though...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
FPS-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Its farther than you posted, but there are some cool trails up towards Graeagle. Once a year they have a camp for handicapped kids, called Camp WAMP, at a Lake Hawley. They are kids from the Sac. area that they bus to graeagle and then pile them into volunteers rigs(mostly jeeps) and trail them in. I along with some other reno4x4.com members brought some of the kids and their gear out, I had an absolute awesome time, and the feeling of helping was great. I had my 05 Dodge Cummins on 35s and was able to get in and out pretty easily. Back on topic, there are some cool trails up there that arent hard core, you should check some of them out, I would wait until spring though...

Yeah that sounds like a really good time!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Stealth Custom Series™
SCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shedSCSPerformance is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vin
SCSPerformance's Tacoma Gallery
i'm going to be heading out to Frank Raines on the 26th with 2-3 guys to have a little fun. we stick to the light/medium trails so if anyone is interested, the more the merrier!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread