Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

I'm Stuck - Tell Me How To Get Out.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #21
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
A quality winch, a high lift and an axe will save yourself from a lot of trouble if you were to get stuck. It's well worth the investment over all the other items that may not work.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
A question. Is there a manufactured anchor made that could be driven/augered into ground that would hold up to being used as pulling point for a winch/hi-lft for retieval when there is no tree close enough?

I have tried to design one in my mind, perhaps a heavy spud bar with a flat plate welded to one side.
yes one second
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
http://stingergroundanchor.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #24
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
MaxTrax or something similar...if you don't want the winch.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
Call DavidK? Hypothetically of course
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #26
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
I'm with the guys who say a winch is cheaper than a tow. You can get a hitch mount tray and a front hidden winch and only use it when you need it. But the once that you get out by yourself instead of paying for a tow or waiting an overnight for someone to come get you it be worth it.
If you are going to go trekking out alone into areas you are worried about getting stuck- having the right gear is crucial....even if it's expensive.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
G scott04,

Thanks for the Stinger anchor. I may try to modify a heavy spud bar for now. But I will put the stinger on my list.

I am thinking of welding a "V" tipped 1/4"x 5"x12" plate to one side of a heavy spud bar that can be driven into the ground. The plate will act to offer more resistance to pulling over during winching. A Hi-Lift can be used to extract the spud bar if needed.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #28
Experienced Noob
MHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMHS2846bg8 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: 911 Dispatch/R-LEO
Name: Nate
MHS2846bg8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'm with the guys who say a winch is cheaper than a tow. You can get a hitch mount tray and a front hidden winch and only use it when you need it. But the once that you get out by yourself instead of paying for a tow or waiting an overnight for someone to come get you it be worth it.
If you are going to go trekking out alone into areas you are worried about getting stuck- having the right gear is crucial....even if it's expensive.
Around here, winch is DEF a cheaper solution than a tow. I know at least for the sand, they charge you $250 just to touch the sand. Not including time, distance, and how bad of a recovery it is. And i know most tow companies charge just to leave the pavement. I've heard of a $800 tow bill for off-road recovery.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #29
bentleymartin is on a distinguished road

Name: bentley
bentleymartin's Tacoma Gallery
In real life i would never go without a friend or at least be able to call one. But i usually never get stuck
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #30
Its 4 o’clock somewhere
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Hi-Lift jacks seem to be very popular. Beyond using it as a winch (which I understand), are there any points under the Tacoma where such a jack could be used? For example, lifting the vehicle to insert waffle boards or similar under the tires?
You could also use the Hi-Lift with these to lift using the wheels. Its a cheaper option if you don't have sliders or aftermarket rear/front bumpers.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #31
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
In boy scouts we used to make anchors using a group of live tree limbs.

You can even group them together with a log.

If you have tons of time and nothing to anchor to, you can make as many of these as you need.

http://pioneeringmasters.org/PM_anchors.php
Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleymartin View Post
In real life i would never go without a friend or at least be able to call one. But i usually never get stuck
Bingo! You should never go into the middle of nowhere without another truck to help if problems arise or at least have cell signal.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #33
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
OP: If you are going to be going out by yourself at all and you dont think you are going to be able to call a buddy to pull you out....you NEED a winch. You can get a budget winch that has a good reputation for $400-$600 (smittybuilt, Warn, Ramsey). Just save up.

All that other equipment is great...but a winch will get you out.

Think about how bad it would suck to have to spend the night out in the woods, possibly when its cold with no food, water, warmth...etc..And if you go out somewhere remote where you are a decent distance from civilization you may even end up in a worse spot.

And think about how much you might end up paying for a 4x4 wrecker.

But another good solution that I haven't seen anyone mention is a high quality come-along w/ the capacity for your truck.

I have gone out by myself before, thats dumb enough, but I always have 2-3 people I can call.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #35
Shake and Bake
4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed4wd Boss is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jefferson
4wd Boss's Tacoma Gallery
hypothetically i wouldnt be going thru terrain if i didnt have a backup plan in the first place
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #36
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
You could also use the Hi-Lift with these to lift using the wheels. Its a cheaper option if you don't have sliders or aftermarket rear/front bumpers.
Good call! I always forget about that!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #37
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
A question. Is there a manufactured anchor made that could be driven/augered into ground that would hold up to being used as pulling point for a winch/hi-lft for retieval when there is no tree close enough?

I have tried to design one in my mind, perhaps a heavy spud bar with a flat plate welded to one side.
lan-cor, pull pal, smittybilt pull pal knock off, and a couple other brands

then theres burying your spare tire

I often go out alone.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #38
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. A wide range of suggestions and advice. In addition to the ever popular vehicle-mounted winch, I'm also seeing shovels, axes, come-alongs, straps, shackles, Hi-Lifts, cellphones, off-road wreckers, floor mats, traction aids, bottle jacks, air/exhaust bags, sliders, aftermarket bumpers, plywood, and much more.

Some of that (shovel, come-along, straps, traction aids, etc) was already on my shopping list. Of course, would always carry my cellphone on a trip. Also equipping the truck with a CB radio, with the hope of perhaps contacting someone else within range who might be able to pull me out.

However, the value of lifting the vehicle with a Hi-Lift and/or an exhaust bag is a big question mark (no experience whatsoever). That said, the Hi-Lift could at least serve as a come-along.

As for the vehicle-mounted winch, there are currently very few mounting options available for a 2012 Tacoma and those few are darn expensive. One of those mounts with a decent winch could well exceed a grand, which would be a stretch at the moment. Anything cheaper? Obviously, an expensive aftermarket bumper is entirely out of the question (and perhaps a bit of overkill as well).

Again, appreciate the advice and links to recovery guides. While I might not respond to each and every comment, I'm carefully listening to, and seriously pondering, it all.

-
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #39
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
self recovery

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-recovery.html
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #40
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
not proud of how i got stuck but i made the best of the resources i had on me.

i knew if i called a buddy he would give me shit for having a prerunner.