Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

I'm Stuck - Tell Me How To Get Out.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #141
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
have question for you guys???

was this the right way to pull out a guy with a broken tie rod??? His passanger wheel was full locked to the left.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #142
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
have question for you guys???

was this the right way to pull out a guy with a broken tie rod??? His passanger wheel was full locked to the left.
Strictly speaking from a rigging standpoint, the way the strap is connected to the recovery points on the broken truck is poor practice. I say this because by going accross both shackles and choking the strap back to itself that way you create two potentially bad situations and can damgage your gear.

One problem is that a huge amount of the line tension translates into a force pulling those two recovery points towards each other side loading the shackles and the recovery points on the bumper. Neither of them are rated for a load in that direction and can be damaged especially if you were to "snatch" with them attached that way.

The other potential issue is that the strap is choked thru the eye rather than with a shackle. This causes a ton of friction between the eye and the webbing of the strap. This can damage or even melt and break the strap under heavy or repeated load. By attaching the choke with the eye on the pin of a shackle and the webbing running thru the bowl of the shackle you avoid this issue.

Ideally you would want to use just one of the recovery points for the pull. Or if you ned to pull from both points to share the load, which I imagine is the reason for running thru both shackles in this case, you would want to run a strap from both pts and attach to your main line with a shackle.

Hope that makes some sense. If not, oh well I tried. Again this is looking at it from the rigging side, not really recovery specific, but the principals and physics apply to recovery as much as in rigging for lifting or anything else.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #143
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post
Strictly speaking from a rigging standpoint, the way the strap is connected to the recovery points on the broken truck is poor practice. I say this because by going accross both shackles and choking the strap back to itself that way you create two potentially bad situations and can damgage your gear.

One problem is that a huge amount of the line tension translates into a force pulling those two recovery points towards each other side loading the shackles and the recovery points on the bumper. Neither of them are rated for a load in that direction and can be damaged especially if you were to "snatch" with them attached that way.

The other potential issue is that the strap is choked thru the eye rather than with a shackle. This causes a ton of friction between the eye and the webbing of the strap. This can damage or even melt and break the strap under heavy or repeated load. By attaching the choke with the eye on the pin of a shackle and the webbing running thru the bowl of the shackle you avoid this issue.

Ideally you would want to use just one of the recovery points for the pull. Or if you ned to pull from both points to share the load, which I imagine is the reason for running thru both shackles in this case, you would want to run a strap from both pts and attach to your main line with a shackle.

Hope that makes some sense. If not, oh well I tried. Again this is looking at it from the rigging side, not really recovery specific, but the principals and physics apply to recovery as much as in rigging for lifting or anything else.
thank you for the info that was helpful i will try to remember that. so I should have used two straps instead of one then. Do you think i should have pulled him down instead of up???
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #144
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
thank you for the info that was helpful i will try to remember that. so I should have used two straps instead of one then.
No problem man! Glad when sometimes work experience can translate into wheelin and other stuff that is generally cooler than working! Either one strap from the tow vehicle to one pt on the stuck truck, or one from each pt on stuck truck (both = length) to a single line attached to the tow vehicle I would say.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #145
the full Monty

Quote:
No problem man! Glad when sometimes work experience can translate into wheelin and other stuff that is generally cooler than working! Either one strap from the tow vehicle to one pt on the stuck truck, or one from each pt on stuck truck (both = length) to a single line attached to the tow vehicle I would say.
Do you think i should have pulled him down hill instead of up hill???
Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #146

Quote:
Do you think i should have pulled him down instead of up???
That i'm not sure about honestly, seems like whichever way you could pull it with more control would have been best to avoid more damage to his front end. Did they get it fixed out there?
Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #147
the full Monty

Quote:
That i'm not sure about honestly, seems like whichever way you could pull it with more control would have been best to avoid more damage to his front end. Did they get it fixed out there?

well i figured the up hill way because his tire was facing the way we need to get out of the situation. I was afraid of his tire getting hung up if i pull him from down hill messing more than a tie rod, plus i would have not had the control. he took the tie rod off went to a local Napa store. But they didnt not have in stock, so they bent the tie rod back as straight as he could and limped home.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM   #148

Quote:
well i figured the up hill way because his tire was facing the way we need to get out of the situation. I was afraid of his tire getting hung up if i pull him from down hill messing more than a tie rod, plus i would have not had the control. he took the tie rod off went to a local Napa store. But they didnt not have in stock, so they bent the tie rod back as straight as he could and limped home.
Sounds to me like you guys did the right thing!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #149
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
You guys did good

Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #150
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Manwithoutaplan,

What you have with the strap on the disabled vehicle is known as an "American triangle" in the climbing world. It actually puts more stress on each point than if you just used one, since it is leveraging the force side to side rather than to the front. Doesn't seem like it but people smarter than me have done the math to prove it.

You were smart to pull him up because you can control his speed better. If you would have pulled him backwards, that wheel with the broken tie rod could've turned, changed the direction of the truck, and possibly rolled the vehicle.

Check out this climbing website, it has great explanations for how to make equalized and redundant anchors/rigging.

http://opp.uoregon.edu/climbing/topics/anchors.html
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #152
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty lung View Post
LOL!!!!!!
The risk is just not worth it. With my luck, if I tried his suggestion (a bear whistle), it would only attract every darn highway patrol officer in the state. While they might be able to pull my truck out of the mud quickly enough, they'd probably write me a speeding ticket for going that quickly - and perhaps another for not wearing a seatbelt in the process.