Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

I'm Stuck - Tell Me How To Get Out.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy I'm Stuck - Tell Me How To Get Out.

Okay, in this hypothetical scenario, I'm stuck in slippery mud in a wooded area miles from nowhere. No chance of outside help. Rocking the vehicle back & forth with 4wd engaged only succeeded in burying tires nearly up to the metal wheels. Decided to stop before the situation gets any worse.

Standing beside the truck, regret not adding a vehicle-mounted winch (too expensive), but glad it's loaded with a nearly endless selection of other recovery options. What should I pull out first and why? What's the best way to use it? What popular options probably wouldn't work?

Note: There are likely no right or wrong answers here. Instead, with the goal of equipping my own vehicle for backwoods travel (fishing, hunting, etc), just trying to learn the tools and tactics others have used, or might use, for vehicle recovery in similar situations. Also hoping to discover what options may be a waste of time or money. Others might benefit from all this as well. Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
jammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant futurejammdogg has a brilliant future

Name: James
jammdogg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to jammdogg
Hi Lift jack, recovery strap and a tree saver.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
In this situation I would use an axe and start chopping smaller trees and branches, load them up in front of the vehicle's tires for traction. A shovel would also help to be able to clear mud from the tires. Also have food and water prepared.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
come a long with a 4' pipe, shackles, 6ft 30k# strap for trees 30' 30k# strap, food water blanket shovel hi-lift. i'd also reconsider my winch investment situation one tow from an off road wrecker will cost you more than a winch, if it comes to that.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
If you will be out by yourself you NEED a winch
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Dhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDhawk1313 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
Dhawk1313's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
wow, now that I see its "hypothetical" Im moving on....
Thank god you told us what you were doing. We were all dying to know
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
Or buy a hi lift and all it's accessories, then get stuck and winch yourself out one time see how much it sucks and THEN buy a winch
Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-lift and some sort of solid base and lifting points. Jack up one side of the vehicle. Assuming you have 4 maxtrax/element ramps/waffle boards place 1 under each tire, repeat on other side. Assuming you have 2, put both under front or rear tires. Then fill the other holes with branches and logs. You can use your bow saw, axe, or chain saw you have to help you.

You can also pave yourself a way out with branches thicker pieces of wood you've collected if need be.

Naturally you'll aid your truck by using your shovel to clear under the vehicle as best you can and perhaps you could aid your path of branches and down fall with any gravel you might find.

Back your truck to freedom and then go retrieve your tools once your on solid ground. Might try to patch up the trail some as it's never fun going through peoples ruts, even if dry. I'll leave that to your discretion.

I suppose if you have no traction aids like ramps or waffle boards you could try with just downfall and lots of it, along with shoveling. I would still do the same, jack the vehicle, fill the hole back in and stuff lots of brush and branches and downfall under the tires, pave a path to solid ground. Clear under the truck with the shovel so you're not dragging.

Key tools: hi lift and jacking points, shovel, axe or bow saw, gloves

making life easier: waffle boards/ ramps

Of course you can do without the hi-lift but you'll have to get clever with the stock jack or a bottle jack and you'll want to carry some sort of base and maybe some different sized chunks of 4x4 blocks

or hi-lift winching or come along, should still try to lift the truck up out of the holes and fill them in and clear under it with a shovel

nicer would be an exhaust jack

Edit: oh yeah and of course you'd think to bring emergency snacks water blankets dry socks etc etc... so if you had to stay a night or two it'd be no issue and you'd have told people where you were headed so it'd be no issue at all

then you'd get out assess the situation, maybe step back and think about it for a few minutes before lunging into shit and getting angry and upset

OH and one time I used two heavy duty pallets to get myself unstuck out of the snow. I had to get turned around so I just kept repositioning them until I got all the way turned around. I had to dig and lift the truck out of the snow to reset them. PITA so I bought waffle boards.

dbl edit: you know about deflating and turning the steering wheel back and forth right? also you could stack rocks as well, doesn't have to be wood, floor mats kinda work

triple edit: if it were truly a life/death situation or a situation where you didn't give a fuck about thrashing your trucks fenders you could lash sections of logs to your tires just assess to see if you'll lodge the log in your wheel well and make the situation worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRGW6z3UQ

http://library.enlisted.info/field-m...1_305/CH22.PDF
Old 02-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
wow, now that I see its "hypothetical" Im moving on....
The scenario is hypothetical. However, my desire for advice in such a scenario is very real. With an interest in backwoods hunting and fishing, this is the situation I'd most likely encounter.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #15

Hi-Lift jacks seem to be very popular. Beyond using it as a winch (which I understand), are there any points under the Tacoma where such a jack could be used? For example, lifting the vehicle to insert waffle boards or similar under the tires?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Heres a link.

http://www.landyonline.co.za/techtal...overy.htm#rwow

Also even if you have a winch or another vehicle to recover your vehicle with you should always use a shovel to help clear obstructions, this will help your vehicle, theirs, your winch and your safety as there is less strain and load on the recovery gear.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Tacoma4x4 View Post
Some pics of said hypothetical stuckness may help with the suggestion input
Oh, come on, man. Are you blind? Hypothetical pics were included in the message containing the hypothetical scenario.

-
Old 02-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
Hi-Lift jacks seem to be very popular. Beyond using it as a winch (which I understand), are there any points under the Tacoma where such a jack could be used? For example, lifting the vehicle to insert waffle boards or similar under the tires?
This is where sliders or an aftermarket bumper shines but I have seen the rear lifted from the receiver hitch either just inserting it into the hitch or using a shackle mount and swinging the shackle up and inserting it there or even more sketchy just sticking it under the hitch. I don't recommend any of those especially if you're going to be trying to get close/ stick stuff under the vehicle.

If you don't want to invest in armor and a hi-lift your next best option is an exhaust jack. Falling short of that I'd say get creative with a bottle jack and chunks of 4x4 and a piece of plywood for a base.

I know it sucks investing money in this shit but once you get real stuck solo you realize what a good purchase some of this stuff is.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #19

If you want to go cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Exhaust-.../dp/B000P5TUSI

stick a piece of belting or a piece of ply wood on top of the exhaust jack and slide it under the frame wherever on the truck.

a shovel and maybe come up with your own traction ladders a couple 4' 2x8 and maybe screw some shit into them, idk (probably on both sides)

|___|
|___|
|___|
|___|
|___|
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #20
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
A question. Is there a manufactured anchor made that could be driven/augered into ground that would hold up to being used as pulling point for a winch/hi-lft for retieval when there is no tree close enough?

I have tried to design one in my mind, perhaps a heavy spud bar with a flat plate welded to one side.