Notices

4 x 4 Wont Lock In??

Old 12-05-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Rangerdirk is on a distinguished road

Army: See Username
Rangerdirk's Tacoma Gallery
4 x 4 Wont Lock In??

Quick Question...
I have a 2005 Tacoma TRD 4x4 and have had it for a few years.
Two weeks ago, we had a snow storm and I attempted to shift the truck into 4x4. The light kept blinking and the truck would never lock into 4x4. I tried different methods like backing up and even tried 4 Lo and nothing happens. I tried leaving it in 4x4 thinking maybe it would eventually lock in and still nothing happened. I searched for similar problems and have found nothing. There is no 4 Wheel Drive Shop here either so perhaps anyone knows what could be the problem or if they have had a similar experience?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdirk View Post
Quick Question...
I have a 2005 Tacoma TRD 4x4 and have had it for a few years.
Two weeks ago, we had a snow storm and I attempted to shift the truck into 4x4. The light kept blinking and the truck would never lock into 4x4. I tried different methods like backing up and even tried 4 Lo and nothing happens. I tried leaving it in 4x4 thinking maybe it would eventually lock in and still nothing happened. I searched for similar problems and have found nothing. There is no 4 Wheel Drive Shop here either so perhaps anyone knows what could be the problem or if they have had a similar experience?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mine did the blinking light thing & symptoms you described and it was the actuator. Toyota replaced mine under warranty but realize yours is a 05, maybe covered under drivetrain or if you got extended? An idea anyway....
Old 12-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Rangerdirk is on a distinguished road

Army: See Username
Rangerdirk's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the reply. It came with a 60,000 mile/5 year warranty on the drive train and there is hardly 50,000 on it now. So if the actuator falls under the drive train, which i dont know if it does or not, they should fix it? Hope so. Thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Pepsi
Playz will become famous soon enoughPlayz will become famous soon enough

Playz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Playz Send a message via Yahoo to Playz
Shift to nutural then put it in 4wheel. Mine works like that. After you put it in 4wheel and it still don't lock put it in gear and drive foward a bit.