Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Mojave trail need advice

Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Mojave trail need advice

Some time in April might be doing the mojave trail I like planning ahead and being prepared. So my question is what should I bring that's important
Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
A full tank of gas. You will run into at least 50 people if you run the whole trail. This guy overpacked a little.
It's still dangerous to do alone if you are not a desert person. The water crossings are pretty mild unless it rains...Just have a way to get unstuck, like a hilift.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm doing it with two jeeps and as dodge Dakota and I have two full size spares and how much extra fuel to bring my main concern
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
You can do the whole thing on 3/4 of a tank running hard. 1/2 tank if you cruise it. 5 gallons extra per rig if you are full at the start is way safe. Common sense goes a long way out there, just have the basics (water , food, fuel, spare tire, jack, tow strap, paper map, etc) and don't get all freaked out when the trail peters out and you have that "lost" feeling. I'm not a gps person and prefer dead reckoning, just shoot an azimuth to the next ridge and you'll be ok. It's never more than 20 miles to asphalt on the whole trip...
Old 02-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
We brought 10gal fuel tank each truck but we camped out and did all the sight seeing stuff. Full tank with an extra 5gal fuel tank should be good.

There is actually a Mojave run in May that a few TW members are putting together. It's a really fun run and camp out.
Always good to have a few trucks with you, at least have one 4x4 with you, some of us got stuck out there in the soft sand area.

Bring water, food, spare parts, etc.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Also a radio of some sort is nice to have. CB HAM or race radio to keep in contact when the cell service is out.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoon, not sure how much offroading you've done before at all but the first real offroading ive done was the fall mojave trip last year. So I am definitely a novice. This trip was definitely more than I expected. Not saying it was crazy but I definitely wasnt expecting the broad range of terrain and such we went thru. Be prepared for water crossings prob wont be too many in april or may. Lots and lots of sand wash! Rock gardens in the sand washes, some dunes, tons of mud on the dry lake beds after it rains, and whoops. Oh and a personal thing I picked up stay away from the bushes! they will destroy your sidewalls! only having 1 spare was my downfall last trip and only running an a/t tire not an offroad tire. not to mention i didnt realize my factory spare wouldnt work with my set up. The main thing for me is to bring 2 full size spares, bring tools for all your suspension and dry film lube to lube the parts up.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #10

OH an many props to Will (fixedTRD) for letting me borrow his wheel spacer! It saved me! wont make that mistake twice!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
tacoon, not sure how much offroading you've done before at all but the first real offroading ive done was the fall mojave trip last year. So I am definitely a novice. This trip was definitely more than I expected. Not saying it was crazy but I definitely wasnt expecting the broad range of terrain and such we went thru. Be prepared for water crossings prob wont be too many in april or may. Lots and lots of sand wash! Rock gardens in the sand washes, some dunes, tons of mud on the dry lake beds after it rains, and whoops. Oh and a personal thing I picked up stay away from the bushes! they will destroy your sidewalls! only having 1 spare was my downfall last trip and only running an a/t tire not an offroad tire. not to mention i didnt realize my factory spare wouldnt work with my set up. The main thing for me is to bring 2 full size spares, bring tools for all your suspension and dry film lube to lube the parts up.
I've done my share of offroading but nothing like this though
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
FixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFixedTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
FixedTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
OH an many props to Will (fixedTRD) for letting me borrow his wheel spacer! It saved me! wont make that mistake twice!
Np Chris anytime buddy. Are you going to the Mojave run in May?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
It's a fun trip with many things to see. Here are some pictures with captions on a run we did in Oct. The pix start a little down the page.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthre...d=55498&page=2
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedTRD View Post
Np Chris anytime buddy. Are you going to the Mojave run in May?
Definitely! got some work planned right when I get home, Race spindles, new fenders oh and most importantly 2 Full size spares and no more spacers up front! Ill definitely be a little bit more prepared this time around!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #15
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
It's a fun trip with many things to see. Here are some pictures with captions on a run we did in Oct. The pix start a little down the page.
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthre...d=55498&page=2
Good link Tom! As I was reading this thread, I was thinking of your guys' recent trip there I read on Baja Nomad!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #16
Crawlerdad is on a distinguished road
Name: Eric
Crawlerdad's Tacoma Gallery
I was suposed to go this weekend with a group of guys for a father son trip. Everyone backed out. I am bummed. Can I tag along with you guys. This is the kind of stuff I built my rig for.

Google it to check weather and past runs. It is a mild trail compared to most. Air down, spare, tools, food water, CB, and bring a friend. There is a lot of check list that you can down load.

Some Ideas
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/25-Tips.htm

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Offroad_Checklist.htm
Old 03-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
I've done the Mojave Road a couple of times and love it. It is a blast.

I usually bring 10 extra gallons of gas. As noted above, you can probably complete the entire thing without refueling and there are a couple of gas stations along I-15 that are accessible if you plan ahead. But I like to explore and having the extra fuel provides for exploring side trails without worry.

We bring 1 gallon of water per person per day.

Also, after our last trip, I'd recommend some pioneering tools. The Mojave River washed away part of the trail (3' foot vertical drop) and we had to spend a couple of hours rebuilding the trail so that we could move the trucks through.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #18
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
we do a Mojave run about twice a year here on TW... we typically post it up in the So Cal section...

we have been doing this run now since 2008, once in spring and once in fall...

previous runs we did from Barstow to stateline about 99.9% dirt and have only taken 5 gallon cans, but 10 gals would be good so that you don't have to stretch it...

definitely pack enough food and water for more days than you are heading out in case of any emergencies... at least 2 tow straps pre truck... full size shovels unless you like to dig hunched over... at least one full size spare tire... tools... spare suspension nuts and bolts... matches or lighters to start a fire... firewood... 30 degree sleeping bags... cash in small denominations in case you decide to camp at a campsite...

condoms in case you hook up with the hot blonde girl in the white tacoma that runs out there, although im sure she is taken...

as mentioned previously, our spring run is weekend of 5/5 and this time, we are running it from Laughlin to Barstow to change it up...
Old 03-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #19
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice

might have to join you on that trip mike my buddy bailed out he cant do it this april so id be down to role with you guys been wanting todo this trail for while
Old 03-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
I have been through in April before. Actually last year I went through twice.
The trail is pretty easy my buddy did it in his two wheel drive nissan loaded down with flippack wife dogs and camping gear. I only pulled him out twice and that was just because he stopped in deep sand both times.

Gas is a none issue although I always have an extra 5 with me. If you plan on camping along the way be prepared. It can DUMP serious rain on you AND get down below freezing, AND have EXTREMELY high winds. Not to mention the hail.....

On one of the trips the rain was so hard it actually soaked through my buddies flippack even with rain fly on. On a another trip he had to close it up because the winds were so high it was starting to tear the fabric away from the shell. Other folks out with rooftop tents had to close them up and sleep inside their vehicles.

Now you may have awesome weather on your trip and I hope you do, I'm just saying be prepared.

Good luck and have fun!