1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time wheelin' in the new Taco

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by adrstout, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    adrstout

adrstout [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    I bought my 2012 Taco about 5 days ago. I had a day off and this morning decided I couldn't wait any more. 600 miles on the odometer, time to go wheelin'!

I was by myself (well, I had my dog) so I wasn't going to do anything to crazy but I know a lot of old logging paths, forest service trails, old washed out county roads, etc in my area. This thing is amazing off road. Much better than my Durango (obviously) and even better than my old Cherokee stock to stock. I forgot my SLR but took some pics with my iPhone. Since I was alone, and my catahoula wasn't going to take any pictures, I had to get out to snap shots so no action photos sadly. Trying to plan a trip to an SRA that is an offroad park about an hour west of me so hopefully I can get some action shots then.

First test...going up a muddy hill to hit a small trail to a mud hole by the lake. Did great. Tried this spot once in a 2010 Silverado 4x4 and was scraping the undercarriage the whole time.
    [​IMG]

Coming down the same spot as the last pic...
    [​IMG]

Old washed out forest service access road. There was gravel and pavement underneath so traction was ok, but honestly the most technically challenging thing I did today. Mudflaps were scraping bad (better those than the rocker panels:eek:), they have to come off or get trimmed. This pic doesn't do the difficulty of this spot justice as off road pics rarely do.
    [​IMG]

In front of an old fire tower...
    [​IMG]

Not going anywhere, just flexing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a nice pic of my truck on top of a dam for a small state park fishing lake. Yes, I was perfectly legal being where I was.
    [​IMG]

Mud hole I went through by a creek. It doesn't look so bad but I wish I had action shots. It was SOOO much deeper than I thought. When I hit the first one water splashed over the front of my hood. All I could think about was wishing I had already done the diff breather mod. Everything turned out fine and the truck pulled itself right through. Not bad for the stock 245 Dunlops!
    [​IMG]

About a 1/4 mile down the road from the mud hole I went through I found this. An F-350 quad cab stuck as could be. No one around at all. There was a chain tied to the bumper and a metal post. Obviously didn't do any good.
    [​IMG]

So, that was my morning. I had a blast! Can't wait to get some buddies and push it a little harder!

2. Mar 2, 2012 at 6:55 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    Nice light off-roading

3. Mar 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    danimal92sport

danimal92sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    dcab, 4WD, TRD O/R
    Where in Indiana was this at?

4. Mar 5, 2012 at 4:13 AM
    adrstout

adrstout [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    '12 4cyl SR5 4x4
    2.5" lift, 265/75r16 Cooper AT3, All Pro Front Skid, KBVoodoo bed rack, a bunch of other random stuff
    In Monroe and Brown Counties mostly.

5. Mar 5, 2012 at 4:21 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    very nice man! i had my truck in a friends filed on a rainy day it was the 3rd day i had my truck. i had a little bit of mud on it doing donuts, and going thru is pound that never holds much water. their was maybe about 8” of mud/water. but i did get my truck used.

6. Mar 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    BAMFTACO

BAMFTACO Another day another beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    Woodlandland hills , CA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma AC Prerunner
    Kings bruh
    Looks like blast

7. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    Looks fun.

Products Discussed in

To Top