Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

hand winch instead of power winch?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Because Tacos are too mainstream...and Im poor.
TheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
TheMrGExperience's Tacoma Gallery
hand winch instead of power winch?

I heard of less affluent such as myself that use a come-a-long instead of a winch. How well does that work and how safe is it? Found this come-a-long after some research on Amazon thats rated at 12,000lb drag/pull and 6k dead lift. Think its a safe alternative?

Old 03-11-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a Smittybuilt XRC8 for bucks more. It's a decent winch, not the best but if you arn't wheeling hardcore it should be fine. and a whole hell of a lot more useful then that come a long. If i could have that come a long i would grab it without hesitation, but for the money i would choose an electric winch. Get some snatch blocks and you can pull anything out with an 8k winch

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a..._pn=S%2fB97281
Old 03-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
TheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMrGExperience is one of the sharper tools in the shed

one of the things with a winch tho is how much it weights and the come-a-long pictured is like 70 bucks less and 25lbs lighter. how reliable would a cheapy electrice winch be anyways? i have 4x4 and a locker so when im stuck IM STUCK and i need the power
Old 03-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

To be exact the come along is only 10 dollars cheaper. an XRC is on the cheaper end but i would not exactly call it a "cheapy" winch you will still find some hardcore rigs with basic XRC's that USE them without problems. Go to harbor freight for a true cheapy.

I've gotten pretty well stuck before in my 4x4 with rear locker. and this is what i use.
http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Towing...FQJ9hwodZRxGbA

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-a...pn=H%2fLHL-604

if you dont have the mindset that you are going to NEED a real winch then a simple come along, not a nearly 300 dollar one along with hi lift will probably do perfectly fine for you
Old 03-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It will work but it will take forever to use. I would keep it as a backup.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Personally I would not buy the hand powered one, I mean for a few bucks more your gonna be extremely happy your holding a control switch versus a handle that requires a little muscle. I wouldn't even have one as a back up, I expect my electric winch to be trouble free forever (knocking on wood)
Old 03-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
Personally I would not buy the hand powered one, I mean for a few bucks more your gonna be extremely happy your holding a control switch versus a handle that requires a little muscle. I wouldn't even have one as a back up, I expect my electric winch to be trouble free forever (knocking on wood)

no back up? you should hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #8

decisions decisions
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valon5150 View Post
no back up? you should hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
True, but I carry a strap too and never wheel alone, I do how ever have smaller come along winch too.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Having used a come-a-long to get a truck out of a tick situation GET the XRC; Either way a decent winch is less than the cost of an professional off road recovery bill. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
Having used a come-a-long to get a truck out of a tick situation GET the XRC; Either way a decent winch is less than the cost of an professional off road recovery bill. Ask me how I know.
ha what was the damage?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
A high lift can be used as a come-along its a lot of work but better than nothing. having a winch is great but also requires additional modification and dollars
Old 03-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMrGExperience View Post
ha what was the damage?
I wasn't the stuck, but my buddy was it set him back about 350 bucks.

We got 2 trucks stuck on the trail and had to get a wrecker to come get them off. He was stuck in about 2' of snow and we couldn't get it back onto the hard pack. The other rig was about 6" from sliding off a 100' cliff. The road in winds up the north side of the mountain and had about 3" of ice cover it.

I was the only one who made it out that night. I had to drive about 30 mins to get Cell service to get someone else to come pick everybody up and get them home. It took two 30ft straps two 20ft straps and 125ft of winch cable to reach his truck and get it out. The wrecker almost got stuck too.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4892 View Post
A high lift can be used as a come-along its a lot of work but better than nothing. having a winch is great but also requires additional modification and dollars
yea thats the thing. the mount and all the wiring is going to cost money because im 4 months out of knee surgery and will have to get someone to do it for me. eff it im getting the Wyeth Scott winch deuces haters
Old 03-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
Damaged Goods
CVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedCVYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
CVYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea thats the thing. the mount and all the wiring is going to cost money because im 4 months out of knee surgery and will have to get someone to do it for me. eff it im getting the Wyeth Scott winch deuces haters
lol I'm glad we were here to help with the whole justification thing
Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #16
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
so what are you going to do if you are in a stuck situation with just a hand winch? it takes work to operate a hand winch that is under load. all that work will just take out your knees. get a regular winch and use a hi-lift which you should be carrying anyways to use has a backup come-a-long if necessary.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #17
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
TheMrGE,

I think you made a wise choice on the Weyth-Scott power puller. They are made locally to me and I have seen several in action. With it being portable, you are not limited as to where you can use it, nor do you need a battery/running vehicle.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #18
1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1980 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Medic
1980's Tacoma Gallery
I've pulled many a truck out with a come-along. They take a longer but do the job but work and are much less weight to carry around than a winch.

That's not to say that you will always have an easy time of it. For some idiotic reason I once thought I'd like to drive my 2WD truck across a dry riverbed of deep sand, only to get stuck in the middle. Fortunately, I had a 200 ft climbing rope with me that would just reach a cottonwood on the other bank. I spent the next six hours hand-cranking my truck across that river.

A few years later I ran across a family in a motor home who had done the same thing. I had a hi-lift with me then too -- it helped but we still spent the rest of the day cranking that motor home across the river.

I prefer electric or PTO winches though but these won't get you out of everything. When I was a kid we were out hunting when my grandpa slid his jeep off into a deep muddy ditch. We hooked the winch to a telephone pole... and started to pull down the telephone pole. A guy in a gas truck then came by so we hooked onto him... and pulled him into the ditch. My dad then hiked to a friend's farm and came back with a front-loader tractor to pull both trucks out of the ditch and straightened up the telephone pole.

In the Army, I once snapped a cable trying to winch one of these:

out of a river with one of these:

Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
so what are you going to do if you are in a stuck situation with just a hand winch? it takes work to operate a hand winch that is under load. all that work will just take out your knees. get a regular winch and use a hi-lift which you should be carrying anyways to use has a backup come-a-long if necessary.
Im not worried about the work I'm worried about having reliability and safety for myself, the people i'm with and my truck while being on a budget. i almost always have a buddy riding with me the smallest of which is about 6'2" 225lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftree View Post
I think you made a wise choice on the Weyth-Scott power puller. They are made locally to me and I have seen several in action. With it being portable, you are not limited as to where you can use it, nor do you need a battery/running vehicle.
thats defiantly a plus I didnt even think about. I was actually in a situation the other day where the only tree was behind me haha. Thats great that you have experience with it i had a hard time finding anyone with hands on experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 View Post
I've pulled many a truck out with a come-along. They take a longer but do the job but work and are much less weight to carry around than a winch.

That's not to say that you will always have an easy time of it. For some idiotic reason I once thought I'd like to drive my 2WD truck across a dry riverbed of deep sand, only to get stuck in the middle. Fortunately, I had a 200 ft climbing rope with me that would just reach a cottonwood on the other bank. I spent the next six hours hand-cranking my truck across that river.

A few years later I ran across a family in a motor home who had done the same thing. I had a hi-lift with me then too -- it helped but we still spent the rest of the day cranking that motor home across the river.

I prefer electric or PTO winches though but these won't get you out of everything. When I was a kid we were out hunting when my grandpa slid his jeep off into a deep muddy ditch. We hooked the winch to a telephone pole... and started to pull down the telephone pole. A guy in a gas truck then came by so we hooked onto him... and pulled him into the ditch. My dad then hiked to a friend's farm and came back with a front-loader tractor to pull both trucks out of the ditch and straightened up the telephone pole.

In the Army, I once snapped a cable trying to winch one of these:

out of a river with one of these:

thats awesome haha. My trucks a bit lighter then a tank so i think i'll be fine.

Thank you for your service by the way.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #20
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
TheMrGE,

Most of the Weyth-Scott power pullers I have used or saw in action were 50 years old and stilll working fine. All of the parts that can break or wear out are replaceable and kept in stock. This is a great investment in a lifelong tool. Check out their website for more information.

Products Discussed in this Thread