Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Hi-lift questions

Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-lift questions

I'm posting from my shitty phone so bear with me...

I use my hi-lift a lot, and lately it's been jamming up so much its pretty much unuseable. The company asked me to send some pics, and said it didn't look like it was damaged, just dried out.

Can anyone recommend a good lubricant? I bought some white lithium grease in a spray can, but I was told it would probably attract dirt and make shit worse. Any better suggestions? Or should I go with the white lithium and purchase a cover?

Is there a better finish I can use on the hi-lift? The paint seems to enjoy flaking, peeling, chipping, and I think this may be contributing to the problems. Maybe powder coating?

Also, I realize hi-lifts come in 2 different steels... which is better?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I've always just blasted them with WD-40.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ml#post3928981

Do this.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Chris, doesn't that tend to just dry out?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #5

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Thanks. Does that paint tend to flak/chip? Do you use any lubricant?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
What do you mean I can't go up there...Watch this!
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a new xtreme Hi Lift and the pins are sticking to the power coat. Its only with a hard push down will it ratchet and lower.

Just be careful of the up stroke after you push/pull down hard on it.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
It will chip the paint when you drag it on rocks etc. Just like anything else. I used the lubricant that came with the kit. When it needs it I give it a quick shot of PB Blaster.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Chris, doesn't that tend to just dry out?
it lasts a little while, but by re applying, it also cleans out the crap that gets in it. I dont know if its recomended or not, but it seems to work fine for me.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
DuPont Teflon/Silicon multi-purpose. You can find the stuff in a spray can at Lo.we's.

A few times a year I clean my hi-lift and soak everything but the handle with the stuff. Still works like butter, and it lives outside, in my truck bed, completely exposed to the elements 24/7/365.25.

The lube also helps to repel water and help it deal with weather better, so regular lubrication helps with that rust problem.

*note: My hi-lift is the Xtreme, which gets some weather help from being powercoated (and what a shitty job of powdercoating it is) and from the moving parts/springs being stainless steel.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was laying in the dirt for a long time before I got it, pulled it out, shook it off. Poured motor oil on it and then worked it back and worth. Soaked it with brakecleen. Pressure washed it off. Hit it with some wd-40 or whatever spray lube I have and it works.