LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Bumpers: Powder coat vs Rhino Liner

Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #1
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpers: Powder coat vs Rhino Liner

Going to build a couple of bumpers for my truck. Debating between having them powder coated or rhino lined.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
Going to build a couple of bumpers for my truck. Debating between having them powder coated or rhino lined.

Any thoughts?
Poweder coat looks better and is a bit more durable however you cannot touch it up unless u remove the bumper and pay big bucks to get it fixed. They will both hold up good to rocks and road debris hitting it. Both will get rubbed off by rocks and the like. the bedliner looks a little funny because its so thick but you can do it yourself.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Rattle Can.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesrunner View Post
Rattle Can.
X2
Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
I vote Powder coating, its not as expensive as most would think. I had my ARB bumper powder coated and it was $300. That included sand blasting and burning off the old powder coating in their oven first.

But, truck bed liner will hide more imperfections. I went this route with a bumper I built for my old 4runner. I rattle canned it first, but didnt like all the grinder marks and other small imperfections that were visable, so I did the DIY truck be liner in a can. Turned out great, and held up well, but it was very hard to clean and keep clean with the texture.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Since they both will scratch anyway, I don't see a need for either. I would just do regular paint. If(when) it scratch it is easy to touch up or redo. The bedliner's rough texture is difficult to keep clean, unless you are not concerned about keeping it clean.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
i had the avid bar line x'd. I just touch it up now with a rattlecan.

imo i dont find it that difficult to clean. but thats just me
Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Why does EVERYONE say powder coat can't be touched up?

It can be touched up just like any other finish and it's more durable so it requires less touch up.

All these people in here say you can't touch it up because they need to sand blast it then re-powder coat it...well lets think here...If I get a chip in my paint on my hood do I sand the entire car down and get it resprayed.....?..... no. I sand down the little spot, fill it, prime it, paint it and walla your all done. You can do the same shit with powder coated parts. Sand, prep, prime, paint...done.

Ends rant...

back on topic

Powder coat front bumper (it takes rock chips great and rarely rubs anything) Look at a 5 year old ARB for reference.

Spray rear (it always gets hung up and is dragging across shit)
Old 03-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Powder coat front bumper (it takes rock chips great and rarely rubs anything) Look at a 5 year old ARB for reference.

Spray rear (it always gets hung up and is dragging across shit)
Makes sense.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
NoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoSoup4You is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
NoSoup4You's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Why does EVERYONE say powder coat can't be touched up?
x2 .. take a heat gun or powerful hair dryer to powder coat to re-melt it and cover small dings and scratches. No sand, prime, spray required!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Duplicolor truck bed liner. I have my sliders and bumpers painted in it - has a slight texture so it's grippy (great for the sliders to step on!) plus it seems a bit tougher than regular paint.

Plus, it's a spray can - so touch-ups are a breeze.

It is more expensive than regular rattle can, but if it holds up longer I'm fine with it.