Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Am I gonna regret welding...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Am I gonna regret welding...

...on these All Pro sliders? If I have them welded, I can put them just a hair lower than if I bolt them on, giving me a little more space between them and the cab AND I won't have to notch the pinch weld. But, that seems pretty permanent. And from what I'm hearing, there is a chance they could bend a little... So replacing them would be a pretty painful thing.

But, if I bolt them on, they bend up then I can just unbolt and replace them. However, in order to get all four bolts into the frame, I'll have to notch the pinch weld to get them high enough.

Thoughts? Anybody within 100 miles of Minneapolis want to buy some sliders??
Old 12-15-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy told me if you have. Good welder and later you decide hmm i dont want these sliders you can take them off just sand to smooth and repaint my buddy showed me his jeep and you couldnt tell he welded them on before
Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBulldog View Post
I'd weld them on... wouldn't want to mess with the pinch welds.
I like the idea of welding them on, just questioning whether I want to weld "these" particular ones, since it sounds like I could have to replace them at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
My buddy told me if you have. Good welder and later you decide hmm i dont want these sliders you can take them off just sand to smooth and repaint my buddy showed me his jeep and you couldnt tell he welded them on before
This is what kinda scares me if I have to have them removed... I get some welder that says he's good then grinds too deep and now my frame is jacked...
Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Is it really that hard to find a good welder? Did you try muffler shops? Try going to a metal shop, or a place that sells metal. They might be able to get you in touch with a professional welder.

This should be cake for a professional welder to weld or unweld.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
Welding does not make it permanent. You can easily grind off the weld joints yourself with a grinder.

Why will you need to replace them soon? I'm just wondering I'm looking at buy a set not sure what kind. I like the looks of the shrocks but they are pricey. I do have a good welder i may ask him if he can make me a set.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrujillo63 View Post
Is it really that hard to find a good welder? Did you try muffler shops? Try going to a metal shop, or a place that sells metal. They might be able to get you in touch with a professional welder.

This should be cake for a professional welder to weld or unweld.
X2
Old 12-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
...on these All Pro sliders? If I have them welded, I can put them just a hair lower than if I bolt them on, giving me a little more space between them and the cab AND I won't have to notch the pinch weld. But, that seems pretty permanent. And from what I'm hearing, there is a chance they could bend a little... So replacing them would be a pretty painful thing.

But, if I bolt them on, they bend up then I can just unbolt and replace them. However, in order to get all four bolts into the frame, I'll have to notch the pinch weld to get them high enough.

Thoughts? Anybody within 100 miles of Minneapolis want to buy some sliders??
i had them taken off my 07 and put on my 09 when i got it....far from permanent. this shop cut the welds, sanded them smooth, and repainted the spots on the frame. you could not tell the frame had been touched, besides the shiny paint