1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking Differential VS. Open Differential

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Agent475, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 [OP] "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Found some interesting info online on the topic and I wanted to share for those that didn't know the difference OR how to use one VS. the other.

You will drive a rig with open diffs completely differently that one with a LS or a locker.
    • An open diff requires that you try to maintain equal traction side to side (on at least one axle) as much as possible. If not, the torque will flow to the side with the least traction. You will need to use more momentum to substitute for less traction.
    • With a low bias limited slip, you will find the most help on low traction surfaces like mud, sand, snow, etc, where the loss of traction is equal on both sides. The low bias LS will be less useful where there is a great disparity from side to side, such as two widely different ground surfaces or one unloaded (or lifted) tire.
    • Lockers split the traction evenly, but can make maneuvering difficult... especially if a front locker is used. With automatic lockers, vehicle weight and weight bias can affect how they engage and disengage.

Products Discussed in

To Top