Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Recovery Straps - Proper Usage

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #21
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTaco2134 View Post
Good information! Also always weigh down the winch line, when recovering yourself and others.

As for the "Don't use a Chain", not sure about that. Never seen a chain snap, even when being puller by a half submerged yota, against a 04' Cummins. Most chains i use are logging chains and are meant to be tugged, and strained. people using the chain should have enough common sense to know what a proper/ideal chain for recovery would be. Although I know some people cant wrap their heads around that, and end up using a thin "dog-chain" and hurting themselves..I just think that most people, may use a chain for recovery, instead of "straps".
I was at my local mud hole the other day and a guy tried to pull another truck out of the mud with a chain. That night I learned a very valuble lesson at his expense. The chain snapped at the stuck vehicle, flew up in the air and because it was still connected to the pulling truck it came all the way around and shattered his front windshield. I got lucky. I was sitting in the back of my truck and he was pulling in my direction. if that chain hadn't stayed connected to his truck It would have taken me out.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #23
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Over the years I have seen more things busted up by using chains in place of a strap and it's usually not because the chain failed, it is simply due to the no give shock load that occurs.
gears and axle splines don't like that crap.

Have also seen a few windshields destroyed when using straps were hooked to parts not intended to be used for recovery purposes
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #24
nighthawk87 will become famous soon enoughnighthawk87 will become famous soon enough
nighthawk87's Tacoma Gallery
how can you put one end of the strap through the other ends loop? You can only do this once, what about the other side? Geese people...
Old 01-13-2009, 04:59 AM   #25
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
how can you put one end of the strap through the other ends loop? You can only do this once, what about the other side? Geese people...
D-rings are your friends. I carry atleast 4 of these.
And don't forget about TREE SAVER straps!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #26
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I saw on the Dakar yesterday they used that same bungee strap that the Icelanders used on Top Gear. Same idea I guess on sand!
Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
I saw on the Dakar yesterday they used that same bungee strap that the Icelanders used on Top Gear. Same idea I guess on sand!
You can buy the stretchy kind. They're called "Stretch-n-Snatch" and they're made by KEEPER.

I have a couple of 'em. They're nicer to work with than regular straps for tugging. Not as harsh on the vehicle. YOu can get a run at it and not worry about the jolt (cuz there isn't one).

(sorry if this was already mentioned earlier, haven't read the whole thread)
Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #28
Snipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnipe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Snipe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
D-rings are your friends. I carry atleast 4 of these.
And don't forget about TREE SAVER straps!

Don't go cheap on shackles either folks, I run a crane and we have been seeing lots of rigging failures due the China crap that is being dumped on the market lately.

And an old riggers trick when dealing with shackles like pictured above, turn the thumb bolt all the way in and then back it off 1/8 of a turn, it stops them from binding when the shaft gets tugged on.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
BTHOB
archerytarget will become famous soon enough

archerytarget's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTaco2134 View Post
No, I totally agree, chains, cables, are not meant for "Tugging", but you will be okay if it is weighed down. its like 101 for wincing, etc... Always weigh down your recovery line.

FYI All this is from USPATENT So, a jacket won't do what now...?? Told you so. Basic winching, recovery 101.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/70...scription.html

"It is also known to throw an item such as a jacket, a blanket or [COLOR=#F26522 ! important][COLOR=#F26522 ! important]floor [COLOR=#F26522 ! important]mats[/color][/color][/color] over the line in use so that in the event the line releases and whips, the item aids to reduce line whipping through a parachute action. For example, Warn Industriesrecommends using a heavy quilted mover's blanket located midway between the winch and the anchor point to absorb the energy. should the line break ("The Basic Guide to Winching Techniques," 2001, www.warn.com)."
What do you mean by weighing down your recovery line?
Old 01-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #30
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
put something over it (floor mats, jackets, something that will stay on the strap and won't hurt you) because IF the strap breaks, there's at least 5000#s that is being unleashed and you don't know where it's going, and depending on where it breaks, it could be coming right for you or your truck. If you have something over it, it will absorb some of the force and will fall to the ground harmlessly...at least thats what I think is the point of weighing it down. Someone that actually knows will be here shortly
Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM   #31
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
I think what they mean is you have 1 loop on each end. You take the loop on one end stick your hand through the loop and grab the strap emediately below that same loop and pull it back through the loop. You can do this on each end regardless of weather one end is attached to a vehicle.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #32
BTHOB

so i have a tow strap with hooks and one of those large (2 in diameter) tow ropes with hooks. are those bad for recovery?
And say if i was pulling someone out with a true recovery strap, it can be jerked and not break? and is it the best thing to have? should 1 or 2 be used? And how many times can a recovery strap be used?
I'm just trying to get things straight in my head about all this...
Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #33
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by archerytarget View Post
so i have a tow strap with hooks and one of those large (2 in diameter) tow ropes with hooks. are those bad for recovery?
And say if i was pulling someone out with a true recovery strap, it can be jerked and not break? and is it the best thing to have? should 1 or 2 be used?
I'm just trying to get things straight in my head about all this...
no hooks...those are bad!

get a recovery strap like whats being offered in the ARB group buy thread...you can yank with it a whole lot safer
Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #34
BTHOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
no hooks...those are bad!

get a recovery strap like whats being offered in the ARB group buy thread...you can yank with it a whole lot safer
sounds good, thanks
is there a certain amount of times you can use the recovery strap with it being stretchy?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 PM   #35
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
sounds good, thanks
is there a certain amount of times you can use the recovery strap with it being stretchy?

no...but you should always inspect the strap before and after use for fraying seams etc...any damage and it should be replaced
Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #36
BTHOB

alright thanks a lot
ive used that rope with hooks a couple times and i guess i got lucky
what kind of strap is in the ARB group buy? website?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #37
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
alright thanks a lot
ive used that rope with hooks a couple times and i guess i got lucky
what kind of strap is in the ARB group buy? website?
a really nice one...its on this site...look in the group buy folder for info

its like 52 bucks but can yank up to 17K lbs i think