Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

where to off road in ny

Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #21
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
trails

Let me know if you find any trails. I am dying to test out the tacoma. Although I did get it stuck in the back yard when we had that 2 foot of snow. It was past the bumber and I guess it was more then the yota could take. I think that a good set of BF all terrains will help a lot. Let me know how ya make out.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Stock tires suck in snow... Lift helps too! I usually only have problems when the snow is up to my frame. So I just made the frame higher with lift and bigger tires. heh

Do you have a locker? Do the locker mod yet? Might as well do that if you can while looking for some trails!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #23

trails

yeah I have the TRD Off road. So i have the lockers. but I did not do the Locker mod yet. I want to get through the first year or so with the warrenty then I will start to do some mods. I hope to get some tires in the spring.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:24 PM   #24
Saratogian
DefyInertia is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
DefyInertia's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

East of Rochester, huh? I grew up in Saratoga and my Ma' still lives out that way. I haul my motorcycle out there at least once or twice a year and have done a good amount of off-roading on the acient logging/mining trails that start at the foothills of the ADKs and keep going up and up for who knows how long.

I'm not exactly sure how legal it is but the area is so sparsely populated I think the deer hunters and the locals (I know most of them) are the only ones that ever venture up there. Some of the trails are fairly smooth but some get really sketchy even when it's dry. There are a ton of sights to see up there which is nice.

Alternatively, a good topographical map will have all the 4x4 only roads that criss-cross the state park and I'm sure you could easily determine which ones would be worth while. UpUpUpState NY is still very wild...

Access to the area is off of exit 16 on 87 (Wilton, NY) but you'd need someone to show you where to go. If you're far enough East maybe we can meet up later in the year.

Here are some pics --
Attached Thumbnails
where to off road in ny-2174534610_c86e190f09_m.jpg   where to off road in ny-2173749601_9714d4ea82_m.jpg   where to off road in ny-2174540130_c071959a1c_m.jpg  
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #25

trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
East of Rochester, huh? I grew up in Saratoga and my Ma' still lives out that way. I haul my motorcycle out there at least once or twice a year and have done a good amount of off-roading on the acient logging/mining trails that start at the foothills of the ADKs and keep going up and up for who knows how long.

I'm not exactly sure how legal it is but the area is so sparsely populated I think the deer hunters and the locals (I know most of them) are the only ones that ever venture up there. Some of the trails are fairly smooth but some get really sketchy even when it's dry. There are a ton of sights to see up there which is nice.

Alternatively, a good topographical map will have all the 4x4 only roads that criss-cross the state park and I'm sure you could easily determine which ones would be worth while. UpUpUpState NY is still very wild...

Access to the area is off of exit 16 on 87 (Wilton, NY) but you'd need someone to show you where to go. If you're far enough East maybe we can meet up later in the year.

Here are some pics --
Thanks for the info. I have spent most of my childhood in the ADK'S. I still do a lot of backpacking and I love to canoe up there. I have hiked a lot of the old logging trails. But I never have drove any of those. Always afraid that I will get a ticket or worse. But I will have to get out some of my old hiking maps. they show truck trails on them.