Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Increase Ground Clearance

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by valon5150 View Post
No lift is required for 255's or 35's. if you are to use a standard 3 inch suspension lift it doesn't actually change anything but utilize your suspension droop. when stuffed you will be in the exact same spot as stock
35's at stock height ?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #22
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
35's at stock height ?

Oh yes...my plan after I get new gears this summer it is so sexy

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/vi...id=63&catid=42

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131147

Edit: the pic and Scubas rig are at about 3 inches of lift. But that doesn't actually make a difference because the tire travels up and down the same space it would at stock height
Attached Thumbnails
Increase Ground Clearance-dscf0007-1.jpg  
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #23
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh yes...my plan after I get new gears this summer it is so sexy

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/vi...id=63&catid=42

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131147

Edit: the pic and Scubas rig are at about 3 inches of lift. But that doesn't actually make a difference because the tire travels up and down the same space it would at stock height
Interesting

Looks kinda weird to me , but interesting alright

I don't think the OP was looking to do that degree of modification to get " a bit more ground clearance "
Old 04-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Interesting

Looks kinda weird to me , but interesting alright

I don't think the OP was looking to do that degree of modification to get " a bit more ground clearance "
exactly. 35's require a lot of cutting/welding.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #25
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No lift is required for 255's or 35's. if you are to use a standard 3 inch suspension lift it doesn't actually change anything but utilize your suspension droop. when stuffed you will be in the exact same spot as stock.
I'm just bringing this to the next page for more exposure. not many people seem to understand this.....

good post steven
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #26

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
I'm just bringing this to the next page for more exposure. not many people seem to understand this.....

good post steven
I agree however to fit 255/85/16 or 35's on the stock suspension , a shit ton of modification is gonna be needed , not exactly what the OP is talking about
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #27
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
right, and we're not disputing any of that. just clearing up some misconceptions.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #28

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
right, and we're not disputing any of that. just clearing up some misconceptions.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:03 AM   #29
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

good post steven
Thank you.

Quote:
I agree however to fit 255/85/16 or 35's on the stock suspension , a shit ton of modification is gonna be needed , not exactly what the OP is talking about
255's are slightly more modding to a 2nd gen and just a hammer with a 1st. I don't consider it much, some don't like pounding on their rigs and I understand that.

35's...yeah it is a wee bit more, I was being sarcastic. 35's on none-3 inch lifts are only for the people who will happily take a cut off wheel or body saw to their fenders.

Quote:
Exactly, that is what annoys me is almost everyday, someone says you NEED a 2.5-3 inch lift to clear those 285's (this is on 1st gen applications which is mostly what I pay attention to) and this is just completely untrue.

Back to the OP. The only way you can gain ground clearance is by getting larger tires. a 33 would be minimal trimming to fit. I believe you will have to trim your body mount and pound on the pinch(not an expert on 2nd gens) you can lift the truck but that will only affect your frame height.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Back to the simple answer... The Off Road comes with 265/70-16 tires (BFG Rugged Trails)... almost 31" tall. You can (and I have) go up one inch without any rubbing or lift to a 265/75-16 (almost 32" tall), and that gives you two things: 1/2" more ground clearance (from 9.25" to 9.75") and a speedometer that reads correctly (instead of 3 mph too fast)!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #31

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You can run 265/75/16 on stock Offroad wheels without rubbing
^^^^^
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #32
randyp5763 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Vehicle Maint.
randyp5763's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone! I think when my tires need replaced I'll go for the 265/75-16's. Other than eventually adding a brake controller for towing and a new intake I doubt I will change much more than that. There seems to be little clearance is all though I knew that from the get go. Once the kids get a little bigger they'll be riding in my truck to and from school, so safety is first for me.