Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Snow Shoes for trucks

Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Did you miss the foot of thick crap it went though? You wouldn't go one inch with bald tires.

Put those on a Taco instead of a 7500lb Full Size and it'll float over powder I bet.
Oooo. A whole foot? Lol. You should have been with us at Tahoe this winter... had a stock taco with dunflops in snow up past his bumper... he made it! I was in shit up to my hood...lol
Old 04-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless... did you see what it was doing to the steering? A tacoma wouldn't last one winter with those things on...not without some heavy duty shit
Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Oooo. A whole foot? Lol. You should have been with us at Tahoe this winter... had a stock taco with dunflops in snow up past his bumper... he made it! I was in shit up to my hood...lol
I live in Canada...don't talk to me about snow.

Stock bumper? Stock tires? Stock Taco? That means you have 9" of ground clearance. That puts you at maybe 2' of snow. Whooptie doo.

I bet the snow was even deeper than a foot in that video but the truck only sank a foot. Seeing as my partner had gotten the ambulance stuck in 4-5" of slushy snow once, those things have potential.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Stock bumper? Stock tires? Stock Taco? That means you have 9" of ground clearance. That puts you at maybe 2' of snow. Whooptie doo.
^^^^^ this

I mushed through snow that was shoulder height on the dogs

Fucking Americans don't know snow
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #26
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
any way you look at it, that pad is going to have a bigger footprint to float through snow than damn near any tire you'll be able to fit on the Tacoma. The other part is it provides additional clearance so you're not plowing or dragging your undercarraige through the snow. I'm not sold on the product either but as a precautionary measure, I wouldn't mind having a set of these in the bed of the truck on a snow run.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
Damn and i just posted this video too... my bad! i searched and searched didn't find it till after i posted....
Old 04-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #29
Senior Member. HA. I'm not a senior. I'm young...
Nunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shedNunavut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
Nunavut's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome! I want it.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #30
CollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shedCollegeKevin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CollegeKevin's Tacoma Gallery
Probably requires a solid front axle
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #31
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
I like the permanent track type better...

www.mattracks.com
Old 04-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #32
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I bet the snow was even deeper than a foot in that video but the truck only sank a foot. Seeing as my partner had gotten the ambulance stuck in 4-5" of slushy snow once, those things have potential.
Don't get me wrong, they do have potential... but the demo video wasn't showing them do anything special. I'm not saying they suck... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
any way you look at it, that pad is going to have a bigger footprint to float through snow than damn near any tire you'll be able to fit on the Tacoma. The other part is it provides additional clearance so you're not plowing or dragging your undercarraige through the snow. I'm not sold on the product either but as a precautionary measure, I wouldn't mind having a set of these in the bed of the truck on a snow run.
What do you think happens to your front end when you put something that heavy on a steering system designed for 32" tires.... those things are probably easy 4 times the weight of a standard tire. You WILL break a tie rod on a Tacoma.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
BVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to beholdBVCOTaco is a splendid one to behold
BVCOTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Kevin View Post
Probably requires a solid front axle
That first GMC or Chevy that was in that video has an IFS just like the Taco's.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
It has potential but it hasn't really proven anything in the video. Dry snow is easy to drive through, even with crappy tires. It's easy for a vehicle to push the snow out of the way while it's moving. I bet a Subaru could have done the same thing in this video. The snow is also not that deep. Anyone that argues otherwise hasn't driven in deep snow. The guy in the video that is walking around on it is not falling through so it's only about a foot deep which isn't anything to write home about. I've driven in snow where if I stepped out of the truck I'd sink down to my waist. I could see this being used on service vehicles in places where it snow quite a bit. If they perfect the design they could easily get some government contracts.

Everyone that said it's a ton of stress on the steering system is correct. When you add that much weight and surface area (traction/friction) you will need to upgrade your tire rods at the very least. Your turning radius will also be increased drastically.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I actually saw this just before it was posted and contacted the company to find out cost and see if it would fit our trucks. Yes it will, and its available next year, and it costs.......wait for it........

22-25k.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I actually saw this just before it was posted and contacted the company to find out cost and see if it would fit our trucks. Yes it will, and its available next year, and it costs.......wait for it........

22-25k.
Whoa... Definitely not worth it for that kinda dough. Better off investing in good tires, a set of chains and a winch.

At that price, they'd have to get government contracts... they're the only ones who could afford it/dumb enough to spend that kind of money on it!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
^^^^^ this

I mushed through snow that was shoulder height on the dogs

Fucking Americans don't know snow
Yep..everything is bigger in canada..even the egos
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #38
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Yep..everything is bigger in canada.
QFT