Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Safe PSI to air down to?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Safe PSI to air down to?

So I've always been afraid to air down too much because I don't want to lose the seal/bead (is that what it's called?) on the trail.

Last time I wheeled I kept the tires inflated at 32 psi and obviously it caused a lot bumpier of a ride, but worse, I got bounced around to the point of crushing my rocker panel.

What's a safe psi to air down to without fear of losing the bead?

I'm on the stock 15" alloys running 31 x 10.5 BFG all terrains.

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Carry some either and matches if it does come off.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Alot of it depends on how you drive. Ive seen guys run 0 psi ( thats Zero ) on BFG's in sand, and have no issues. They have a strong sidewall, and are reluctant to come off the bead. I useually ran 10 PSI on my BFG's in sand, and 15 in rocks.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
10 in sand and 15 in rocks in mud is about spot on for your tires. in sand i have to drop to 8psi or so cause my tires have a tendency to dig in very easily
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell View Post
Carry some either and matches if it does come off.
^ Ether and matches?

Please elaborate.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Alot of it depends on how you drive. Ive seen guys run 0 psi ( thats Zero ) on BFG's in sand, and have no issues. They have a strong sidewall, and are reluctant to come off the bead. I useually ran 10 PSI on my BFG's in sand, and 15 in rocks.
I'm really never on sand (unless I make the trip to the sand dunes). I'm on forest service roads treading lightly.... often over rocks, etc...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
^ Ether and matches?

Please elaborate.
something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ADdx9Sy1XU
Old 05-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
When I had my 2001 Xterra stock PSI was 26 (lowest I have ever seen OEM). I still aired down for certain situations but never extreme like mentioned here as I was mainly on pavement.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondog View Post
Good god...

If I ever tried that and recorded it, I'd go down in the TW annals of stupidity.

Beating out the kid who got pulled out of sand in park and the other dude who jumped his 2nd gen and destroyed it.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
fadippides is on a distinguished road
fadippides's Tacoma Gallery
I recall seeing Top Gear do that when they knocked a tire off the rim....they were in the artic though, and it made for good TV.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
Its 4 o’clock somewhere
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good god...

If I ever tried that and recorded it, I'd go down in the TW annals of stupidity.

Beating out the kid who got pulled out of sand in park and the other dude who jumped his 2nd gen and destroyed it.
Why is that?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Why is that?
Cause I'd probably blow myself up and take rubber shrapnel to my entire body all the while setting a forest fire ablaze.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #13
SargeSlapnuts 보고용의!!!!
SargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shedSargeSlapnuts is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
SargeSlapnuts's Tacoma Gallery
yeah mounting a tire like that is rather scary. i have had to do that on a large equipment tires. took me about an hour cause i didnt wanna blow the bitch up in my face but we got the tire back on the rim while it was still on the machine
Old 05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Its 4 o’clock somewhere
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cause I'd probably blow myself up and take rubber shrapnel to my entire body all the while setting a forest fire ablaze.

Fair enough. In an emergency that technique can really help get you out of a bind though.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #15
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ when doing that, remove the valve core first. the purpose is not to inflate the tire, but rather reseat it on the rim. with the valve core in is where you risk blowing it and yourself up.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0d0g View Post
Fair enough. In an emergency that technique can really help get you out of a bind though.
Totally understood and duly noted.

Just use any flammable aerosol?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
winL is on a distinguished road

winL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
^^^ when doing that, remove the valve core first. the purpose is not to inflate the tire, but rather reseat it on the rim. with the valve core in is where you risk blowing it and yourself up.
Nice tip... I knew there was more to it than to spray some fluid and just light 'er up!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
Never ahd removed core since usually I pump air immediately after tire expands. (this is the trick)

Now I have to admit whole process looks scary to somebody outside. Last time I was doing this my family refused to participate and was cowarding behind stone wall.
So I had to spray carburetor cleaner ( no ether on hand), light up, then immediately grab air hose to pump air. I should mention I had cigg in my mouth .
Anyway I had same truck with same tires and rims. Runned 15-18 PSI fine
Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #20
valon5150 will become famous soon enough

Name: Steven
valon5150's Tacoma Gallery
You really do not need NEARLY that much ether if you have a small on board air compressor (Oriellys $60 ones work). Hook it up to the tire and turn it on. Then maybe two or 3 light shots of ether on the bead and light. It is much less dangerous and works just as well.

On topic. I run around 8-10 anytime i'm in serious wheeling conditions that is with 33X10.50X15. I have met a few guys recently that run about 4-5 without beadlocks and will probably be attempting that when I go wheeling with them next. They say they have had the sidewall stretched in where you can see the bead and it has held.