1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

stock friendly trails in southern Colorado?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by JCBigler, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    JCBigler

JCBigler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    Considering a summer vacation trip in July to southern Colorado. What are some good off roading trails that won't be death to a stock Tacoma? Double cab, short bed, 4WD, Off Road, no trail armor and stock tires...

I know a couple have done Black Bear Pass and Imogen Pass in stock truck, but really, how doable are they?

2. May 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM
    toytaco970

toytaco970 Well-Known Member

Member:
    avon/vail, co
    Vehicle:
    05 trd offroad 4x4
    Front: Icon IVD coated extended travel coilovers Rear: 5125's with AAL and 1" block. Front sway bar removed. Brute Force Fab bumpers AllPro stuff: UCAs , front skid plate, sliders, rear u-bolt flip kit, e-locker guard Kenwood/Garmin single DIN DVD-NAV system, amp and sub. V1 radar, Foglight anytime mod,
    You can do both those trails in a stock taco. The Alpine Loop would be another good choice.
    I went up Engineer pass from the Ouray side with my stock taco on the second day after I purchased it, barely 100 miles on the odo. :D
    This was back in 2005, I've heard that stretch up from hwy 550 got much more difficult after last years snow melt runoff.

3. May 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
  4. May 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
  5. May 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Black Bear and Imogene both have serious exposure .. especially Black Bear with it's hairpins into Telluride. You should be able to make it stock if you're careful (both are rated a 4/5 out of 10). But if you're not comfortable with your truck, and shelf roads and 500 foot drops, you might want to look somewhere else.

Engineer is a great one. Spectacularly beautiful. Takes you to Animas Forks (great historic ghost town above Silverton). Mostly non technical (rated 2/3). Goes between two of the best towns in the San Juans (Lake City and Silverton).

Tincup Pass in the Collegiates is another great one that takes you to some historic ghost towns. Also rated 2/3.

It's not too bad driving from Ouray up to Yankee Boy Basin on the back side of Mt Sneffels either. Another remarkably beautiful run.

6. May 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    Socalduckslayer

Socalduckslayer Pelfreybilt Off-Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, Ca
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma
    Odds and Ends
    Years ago I did some runs up Cheyenne Mtn off the 24 out of colo springs, it seemed pretty stock friendly. Haven't been there in some time but it was really cool back then in the snow

Products Discussed in

To Top