1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Car Camping / Trip Reports / Photos / Buildouts / “Overland” / Expedition Rigs Area (homeless?)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BuzzardsGottaEat, May 16, 2012.

1. Mar 26, 2014 at 3:55 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    I suppose if what you are saying is that during a water crossing where the truck is *submerged* to the point of the windshield wipers, then yes, you have a point. Water would get into the intake. Before that would happen, though, the interior of the truck would fill to the same level (the wipers) -- for as one can see in the pic you provided, the cabin fresh-air intake would provide a drain just before the engine intake (among numerous other entry points).
    The same argument/logic applies to *ANY* intake: if the truck is *submerged* to the point of the intake being underwater, then water will enter the engine. Classic snorkels included. What I have been trying to convey is a sense of reality: How likely is anyone going to be *SUBMERGING* a Tacoma to the wipers? Let's say hypothetically you are that person -- aren't there more pressing concerns with the truck once submersion to that level occurs? Perhaps other engine-killing issues that are just as serious as water in the intake? Or perhaps driver, passenger, and gear waterlogging issues?
    A big splash -- even a really big, monsoon-style, epic splash you wish you caught on video -- isn't going to do squat with the cowl intake. Only submersion to the wipers is going to have any effect on it. But by that point, you've got other problems you're worrying about (or *should* be worrying about).

2. Mar 26, 2014 at 6:36 AM
    futuretacoowner

futuretacoowner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    02 2.7L xtra cab
    new episode of expedition overland tonight!!! can't wait!! since I don't have the funds to fix and mod my Tacoma right now I am living vicariously through them and this thread

3. Mar 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Most truck cowl intake systems are the same. Located right past the hood, and below the windshield. I have seen a TON of trucks that do a general "splash" that lets water roll up the hood and into the cowling, where it has entered the cabin and AC blower area. If it can do THAT, it can get into an intake that draws it's air from there. Really the most effective system is a snorkel kit, that is properly sealed. Granted they are pricy, but if looks are not that important, you can make your own easy enough.

It all boils down to how serious you are about overlanding and expedition. Sure you don't always LOOK for the deepest water crossing, or the deepest mud pit, but sometimes things happen. I have always built my trucks under the concept of "better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it." With what I have seen over the many years of wheeling I personally do not think that an intake system in the cowling area is best suited for an overlander or expedition. This is of course my opinion, and I know some won't agree with me. It is true that I haven't yet relocated my intake. I am most likely going to bite the cost and go with a snorkel though.

4. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:02 AM
    TacomaJack09

TacomaJack09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Billie 5100's, Ride Rite Airbags, Tech Deck
  5. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:04 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
  6. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4
    Well according to the Craigslist post its $1204 which is a damn hefty price.

But the companies website asks you to call or email for the price..

I wouldn't necessarily do it based on the price of the unit alone, but just wanted to gather opinions of others.

7. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:15 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Good grief that's pricey. Either go with onboard air and a standard impact or buy a cordless dewalt. The 20v 1/2 dewalt is less than $300.

8. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I have a 15 lbs C02 tank, I carry a standard impact with me. I think the impact was ~$150, its a craftsman. The tank setup was ~$300. Plus the sockets.

9. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I have a 12V Craftsman electric impact, in 1/2 inch drive and it works great. The 2nd gen 120C system can also operate the battery charger, so you will always be able to use it if needed. (Of course I also have a spare battery so one is always on the charger) The Craftsman only cost me something like $160?

10. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:30 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
  11. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4

haha

"leverage" its your best friend

12. Mar 26, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    Except for when you can't get to the nut on the backside of the bolt.

13. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    I carry a 20# C02 tank as well. Run a 1/2 air gun, plus I'm able to rebead tires ( which I've down twice for others ). The setup was fairly cheap.

New Aluminum C02 Tank $110
    Wheelers Fixed Pressure Regulator (155psi) $55-65

Then you just need hose and whatever accessories. To regulate pressure down for certain tools I just put a adjustable regulator inline. ( $25 )

14. Mar 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    TacomaJack09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jackson
    Montana!
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab 4x4

For you guys running CO2, how long does your tank usually last you under moderate duty? IE using the air wrench, filling up tires, running lockers, etc? is it cheap to have it re-filled? Are locations to have it re-filled readily available?

I need to do some more research on the CO2 systems since I'm a noob in that category. Would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of CO2 vs Air Compressor, I'm sure there are threads that cover this already.

Thanks for the opinions guys!

15. Mar 26, 2014 at 11:34 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Lockers..it'll do 100s or thousands of times.

I get mine refilled at the Pepsi place in town. was $18 to fill from 0-20lbs.

I have filled a TON of tires back up and still haven't refilled it. Havn't had to use an impact so can't comment on that.

but really, a 20lb will easily last a year or more.

Advantages are their are no mechanical moving parts really...well..hardly any. So less likely to fail. Had a buddy on my last trip and his ARB compressor took a shit. Was fun in a way to have him use my CO2 as he was anti CO2 and realize it it MUCH faster then a compressor...and doesn't need electricity :cool:

it is unreal how much fast it will air up tires. Compressors take 30-20 mins. I did my 33s from 10 to 32 psi in under 25 seconds each. so..about 5 minutes including getting out the hoses and putting them away.

But a compressor doesn't need refilled.

I still carry a tiny little air compressor just in case i need to air up and don't have CO2. But if you do what your supposed to do, at least in my mind, and check your gear BEFORE you leave every time on a trip. You'll never run out on a trip.

Cons for CO2 are it is a big bulky tank and is awkward a bit to mount and store. You have to pay to get it refilled obviously. If you want to use air tools/lockers, you need an adjustable regulator which costs more. I have the no freeze HiFlow one from Wheelers, works fantastic.

quick run down for ya i guess. I love my CO2 and won't be getting a big compressor anytime soon. Have watched too many die on the trail. And i don't like waiting 45 mins to air up..haha

16. Mar 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    sub'd

pics to come with roof rack, rtt, awning, and my setup.

17. Mar 26, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    Chipskip

Chipskip N7MCS

Member:
    First Name:
    Chip
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    07 Tundra
    I don't have room in my garage for a big air compressor, nor did I have the money for one and some sort of on board air. So I just got the C02 tank setup form wheeler's. It is awesome! I have used it to wrench on my truck, rotate tires, etc, etc. Had to refill it out maybe five major wrenching projects. It wasn't completely empty, but I wanted to be prepared for number six.

I like that it is so quiet, only noise is the tool your using, not some air compressor running for another ten minutes making you have to yell to hear one another.

I can throw it in my truck and go to a friends house and either have two air tools running at once or taking it wheeling.

Last time I used it out on the trail was when we were almost back to pavement and everyone pulled over to air up. I whipped out the tank, aired up, and bullshitted with the guys for a while for a while and I was still the first one out.

Spend the money and get a good regulator.

18. Mar 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    That's exactly what I do. I have a 10lb for the truck for airing up and emergencies, but keep a 20lb in the house for regular work. I live in a loft on the third floor so the compressor wasn't going to happen.

I run my lockers off of the small ARB. Soon I will be converting the switches to pneumatic, but still running them off of the ARB. I'll only use one port on the compressor so the other port will be free to hook up the CO2 line in case the compressor craps out.

19. Mar 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    CO2 FTMFW!

Plus, chicks dig trucks with scuba tanks :cool:

20. Mar 26, 2014 at 2:21 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Haven't had that issue yet. I won't down play the usefulness of an impact, but for $1000ish, I can do without one on the road.

Products Discussed in

To Top