Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Overland Expedition pics/specs with bs thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #3962
The Slow But Getting Somewhere Build
tacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacodane is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AC-130W Crew Chief
Name: Dane
tacodane's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be waiting for reviews
Old 08-04-2014, 06:39 AM   #3963
CowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCowboyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CowboyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Interesting same exact pattern as the TJM versions I have. The shot of the Mitsubishi is the same shot TJM used in their brochure.
How much were those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacodane View Post
I'll be waiting for reviews
x2
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #3964
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyTaco View Post
How much were those?

x2
Mine were $150 in desert tan. So far I have used them once on a 1 gen taco in the snow. Once you get them under the tire they work awesome.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #3965
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't work out very well, started to spin and wore through one of them, but I might of had too high expectations, probably not ideal for where I was stuck
Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #3966
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD 09 View Post
Didn't work out very well, started to spin and wore through one of them, but I might of had too high expectations, probably not ideal for where I was stuck
Some of these "other" traction aids will probably work in some situations, and not everyone can drop the amount of money needed for Maxtrax. But from what I've seen from all of these, you get what you pay for. Maxtrax are expensive but actually work.

FWIW, you should avoid tire spin with any of these.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #3967
zscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shedzscott is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Some of these "other" traction aids will probably work in some situations, and not everyone can drop the amount of money needed for Maxtrax. But from what I've seen from all of these, you get what you pay for. Maxtrax are expensive but actually work.

FWIW, you should avoid tire spin with any of these.
I think that the consensus should be that Maxtrax are high quality and work pretty much 100% percent of the time when used correctly. The other brands are kind of hit and miss.

I have used my smittybilt ones over a dozen times now on my vehicle and others for recovery. I use them almost every time we go camping to help level the truck a little to get the RTT level and they continue to amaze me. But I have also seen the many videos and pictures of people breaking them with their bare hands or after minimal use with a vehicle. Sounds like the Treds, TJMs, and these Explorer models are probably hit and miss as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:18 PM   #3968
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
I have been fairly set on getting the TRED 1100's since I started looking at traction aids, but I think I will end up dropping the extra +/- $140 for Maxtrax's to have the peace of mind that they will reliably work the times that I need them...which will often be an "oh shit" moment where I need them to work.

Matt
Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #3969
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
space is still a premium on my build. I think once I get my rear bumper figured out, I'll decide on the type of of traction assist.

I still have a pic imbedded in my mind of the aluminum ones used in Camel Trophy. I really like that style and being able to 'build a bridge' feature..
Old 08-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #3970
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygear View Post
space is still a premium on my build. I think once I get my rear bumper figured out, I'll decide on the type of of traction assist.

I still have a pic imbedded in my mind of the aluminum ones used in Camel Trophy. I really like that style and being able to 'build a bridge' feature..
want to have some real fun, cut the legs of your sliders off at the frame, weld in a receiving post in its place and use quick release pins to retain them. Add some dimple died plates to the top and some tabs to the bottom and now you have 6 foot slider/sand ladder/gap bridging all in one nice compact package. Just don't bend them or they may never go back in the receivers.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #3971
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If that's what you're after look for surplus landing mats. A quick search found this.
http://www.calumetindustries.com/?s=mats

They're more commonly known as sand ladders in the 4WD community. FWIW, you can use Maxtrax as bridges too.
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/102...nd_Ladder.html

Old 08-05-2014, 01:30 AM   #3972
          
skygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shedskygear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skygear's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
want to have some real fun, cut the legs of your sliders off at the frame, weld in a receiving post in its place and use quick release pins to retain them. Add some dimple died plates to the top and some tabs to the bottom and now you have 6 foot slider/sand ladder/gap bridging all in one nice compact package. Just don't bend them or they may never go back in the receivers.
Now thats an Idea. Would really take some over engineered sliders to work though. Not to mention, I already wanted to make my sliders Air Tank sliders. Could put quick connect fittings on the inside of the hitch/esque connectors with a small length of hose.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:04 AM   #3973
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now thats an Idea. Would really take some over engineered sliders to work though. Not to mention, I already wanted to make my sliders Air Tank sliders. Could put quick connect fittings on the inside of the hitch/esque connectors with a small length of hose.
I think some super heavy gauge pipe could work well for removing them
But I wouldn't try air tank sliders- they're there to get slammed, scraped and bashed on rocks. You'd never do that to a regular air tank or risk blowing a hole outta one without warning. Bashing them on the outside + corrosion from condensed water on the inside will not end well down the road

Just my two cents. I considered it before too
Old 08-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #3974
Lou Slink is on a distinguished road

Lou Slink's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Good stuff in here!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM   #3975
Lou Slink is on a distinguished road

Lou Slink's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=george2pak;8861845]

Badass rig, man! Love your set-up.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #3976
Young Padawan
Jonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonesn13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Was EMT Cert. for 2 years in CO.
Name: Spencer
Jonesn13's Tacoma Gallery
Hey i know a few of you guys tow trailers in here, any input on this thread I made?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tow...g-trailer.html
Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #3977
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys I need some advice
Ive got 5 days left before I leave for my hunting trip
I've only got 600 lb rate springs up front and deaver leaf springs with full skids so I'm already overloaded....

Our spot is about 600 miles away and we'll be there with zero infrastructure for up to ten days

Not sure how to pack extremely light for ten days... I'm thinking I'll have to take a trailer to pack up camp.

This was much easier before we sold the motor home with a fridge haha
Old 08-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #3978
Whiskey Throttle FTW!
NoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoTown98Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 485th MP Company
Name: Scott
NoTown98Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
Hey guys I need some advice
Ive got 5 days left before I leave for my hunting trip
I've only got 600 lb rate springs up front and deaver leaf springs with full skids so I'm already overloaded....

Our spot is about 600 miles away and we'll be there with zero infrastructure for up to ten days

Not sure how to pack extremely light for ten days... I'm thinking I'll have to take a trailer to pack up camp.

This was much easier before we sold the motor home with a fridge haha
Old 08-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #3980
firemaniac is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Chris
firemaniac's Tacoma Gallery
If you can get an RV up there, take a trailer, you can have less worry about the truck, and be more comfortable.

Products Discussed in this Thread