Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How do i revalve my shocks?

Old 05-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kaleb
FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
How do i revalve my shocks?

i have fox 2.0 smoothbody resi shocks and they are stiff so i need to revalve them. anyone know of a video or link that can show me how to do this myself?? sorry couldnt find a vid or a thread to show me how
Old 05-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POunLnsInQk

this just change the valve stack. its stupid easy on a smooth body
Old 05-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
so wat is it in the shock that revalves it?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
Cheeba Chief
Nicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicks4x4LT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Nicks4x4LT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGW01 View Post
so wat is it in the shock that revalves it?
a stack of shims (varying in sizes) on each side of the piston (compression/rebound), basically makes the flow of oil easier/harder to pass through the piston on to the opposing side
Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if you notice those things he measures when he removes multiple disks off the shaft. those are the valve shims. altering the thickness etc on them will alter your valving
Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #6

FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks4x4LT View Post
a stack of shims (varying in sizes) on each side of the piston (compression/rebound), basically makes the flow of oil easier/harder to pass through the piston on to the opposing side
ahhh i got it haha so i have to go buy these shims i assume?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #7

FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
if you notice those things he measures when he removes multiple disks off the shaft. those are the valve shims. altering the thickness etc on them will alter your valving
ooh so i can grind those bitcheess down just a little?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Almost there

i would call downsouth motorsports. talk to them and see what they recommend and they will ship out a new stack for what your looking into. if you dont really know what your talking about regarding valves SDHQ might be able to help measure what you got and provide a good recommendation as well, i dont know if they stock them
Old 05-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #9
Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGW01 View Post
ooh so i can grind those bitcheess down just a little?
hell no lol, they arent very thick to start out with. you will want to buy new ones. you might be keeping some of the current ones just altering a few or you might just go with a whole new stack
Old 05-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #10

FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
hell no lol, they arent very thick to start out with. you will want to buy new ones. you might be keeping some of the current ones just altering a few or you might just go with a whole new stack
haha damm no grinding hahaha but ya SDHQ said they can do it but i dont wanna spend the money or have to drive around with just leaf springs in the rear while i wait for them to be finished. so ill see if i can buy some from them or order some. thankyou for the quick responses
Old 05-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Almost there

it should take you no more than a couple hours once you get the shims to rebuild them. I would just go ahead and call DSMS, tell them what shocks you have and what the issue is. Have them recommend something and ship it out to you. Swap them out on evening, run them and see what you think.

did you buy the shocks new/used, im guessing not for specific Tacoma application.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #12

FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it should take you no more than a couple hours once you get the shims to rebuild them. I would just go ahead and call DSMS, tell them what shocks you have and what the issue is. Have them recommend something and ship it out to you. Swap them out on evening, run them and see what you think.

did you buy the shocks new/used, im guessing not for specific Tacoma application.
u get my PM?