1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manual locking hubs

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by PatHLC128, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:07 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 [OP] College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    Why do people say that manual locking hubs are better for off roading? Is there truth to it or are they maybe jealous that I dont have to get out of my seat to put it in 4x4? :confused:

2. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:09 PM
    TRD4x4858

TRD4x4858 Taco Traitor!

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    95 Jeep XJ
    BONE STOCK! lol
    Only really good thing I see about manual locking hubs is that you can disengage the front axles, less wear and tear on C.V's and some say better MPG, as for better off road IDK

3. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:14 PM
    mr.trd

mr.trd Are you Recreationally Insane?

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    Because when you break a axle shaft, you have to change it to keep driving. Your truck is basically dead in the water without another shaft to put in. But with manual hubs, you can unlock the hub and put in in two wheel drive and still drive home. But on the older taco's the manual hub cv shafts necked down and ultimately made those shafts weaker than the ones with automatic hubs. Basically there is nothing automatic about it, they are just always in. Don't worry though, for the '05+ you don't have a choice of even going to manual hub so just carry spare cv shafts and have fun.

4. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:15 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    manual hubs reduce wear on parts like the cvs when you disengage them while not in 4wd etc etc

plus...with manual hubs...if you bust something in the front end...you can unlock the hub and continue out of the trail or whatnot without necessarily having to be towed out

5. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 [OP] College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    i see i see...i have this incredibly competitive friend that always tries to find reasons what makes his anything better than mine. lately its been about trucks since i just bought a new taco, he drives a 99 ford f350 turbo diesel 4x4 (its a company truck its not even his). he was bragging about his manual hubs, i was just happy that i didnt have to get out in the snow/slush to go into 4x4...

6. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    I had a 1995 F150 that came with auto hubs. After breaking 3 sets of them I swapped out to manual hubs and never had a problem after that.

I recently got a 2006 F250 with manual hubs. I'm happy they're manual instead of automatic after my past experiences.

The Toyota is the only truck I've had where the auto hubs haven't snapped on me.

7. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:32 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 [OP] College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    im not too worried about snapping mine, i have a hard enough time finding somewhere to play off road here in ny. even when i do im too scared to do much with the truck being all new and me really having no idea how to drive off road.

8. Dec 26, 2008 at 3:43 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    I see on the all pro web site the white Tacoma with there hybrid bumper has manual hubs. It would be possible to do. Probably get the parts off a 1st gen taco. Another good thing about manual hubs is there serviceable bearings, not unit bearings.

9. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Icon coilovers w 14" 700lb springs, Icon billet UCA w/ Delta joints, custom built Icon rear resi-shocks, Icon stage 3 rear leaf pack, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers w/ homemade spreader bar, superbumps up front and timbren bumps in the rear, Crown brake lines, U-bolt flip,4.88's with front ARB locker and ARB dual compressor mounted behind back seat, 285/75R17 BFG A/T KO2's on Bronze Icon Alloy Compression's, 5th gen T4R budget big brake kit, CBI Off-Road Fab. custom Trailmaster 2.0 with swing-away tire carrier, CBI custom tube front bumper, CBI kickout sliders, CBI full flat belly skids including gas tank,CBI Ditch Light brackets w/ Heretic Studio Quattro's, Heretic Studio's 30" Amber on the front, Heretic Studio 40" bar under the Front Runner Roof Rack, Expedition Essentials RAM mount, Leer used shell, OEM black chrome sport headlights, fog lights always on mod, rear locker anytime mod, TRD supercharger, URD Ucon-EMS, Deatschwerks 255 fuel pump w/ URD external fuel filter kit, AFE intake paired to a Safari Snorkel, URD spec-U exhaust w/ factory Tundra muffler behind URD equal length headers.
    No, that is a Weld center cap. the two different body styles would not be interchangable. The new truck has completely different spindles than the older one. If they offered manual hubs on the 4runner or the FJ then it would be possible. But so far it is not possible and warn is not going to making a kit. At least that is what they said at SEMA this year.

10. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    ^^ Well that sucks then haha, I was hoping to do a manual hub conversion one day. I guess I'll just have to do a solid axle swap to get my manual hubs!

11. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Hells yeah!!!! I got a High Pinion Dana 60 with Kingpin Knuckles sitting on the side of my house right now!!! And the matching Dana 60 for the rear.

12. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:10 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I read somewhere that early ADD systems would actually come out of 4X4 when put into reverse. So if you are stuck, throw it into "R" to try and get un-stuck the bam, no 4X4. I have the manual hubs on my 99, I just lock them before I wheel and unlock them when I get home. I just wish I had an e locker or an ARB. I could buy an ARB but I would miss a house payment. Possibly a bailout from the government to get an ARB? Will look into that............

13. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:25 PM
    sonjay

sonjay Well-Known Member

Member:
    mr.trd, that would be a mean setup for sure! Your truck looks too nice yet to do that to tho. I was just talking about a yota front axle haha.

14. Dec 27, 2008 at 8:07 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    My '98 never came out of 4x4 when I had it ADD. And I only broke one cv the whole time I wheeled it ADD. And that was with 4.10's and 35's. Then I did a manual hub conversion, 4.88's, and a lockright up front. Then I started breaking cv shafts left and right. All a matter of leverage. But if it would have ever came out of 4x4 in reverse I think the snow wheeling would have shown that cause I would have been really screwed, ALOT! I think that was just internet miss-information you read.

15. Dec 27, 2008 at 8:12 AM
    mr.trd

Member:
    First Name:
    Brant
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    '06 S/C 1GR-FE DCSB
    Too nice, thanks but, this truck has been through it all already. To me there is no such thing as too nice. I bought the truck so that I could wheel with the whole family, so that is what I will do. If I wanted to wheel the nasty stuff alone I would have kept my '98 taco. Which is what I bought the axles for initially. Then I said why put them under a truck that the whole family can't fit into, so off that truck went and in came a d-cab. But thanks. And it really isn't as nice as it looks when you get up close, it has alot of natures pinstriping!!! I found out really fast that black isn't near as forgiving as white in that department.

16. Dec 27, 2008 at 3:30 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
  17. Dec 28, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    desertdude59

desertdude59 CRAZY 4WHEELER

Member:
    From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful W
    Vehicle:
    1991 toyota 4x4 sr5-lost but not forgotten
    4" lift after market front bumper bed mount lightbar/roll bar (4)6" kc's on the roll bar (2) kc flat back bumper mounts f/r gears for the 33's
    I broke a cv axle on my 91 toy and thank goodness for manuel hubs. You can't go wrong. Plus saving your front end parts!

18. Dec 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM
    jwscoot

jwscoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississauga, ON
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma v6 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around, add a leaf in the rear
    I'm new to this. I don't understand why you couldn't drive out in 2wd with ADD... I understand the unlock and lock of the manual hubs, but if you snapped a shaft in the ADD system, couldn't you just pull the pieces of shaft and u-joints/grease boots from the stub ends in the diff and hub and then drive out? you wouldn't even need a tool?

19. Dec 30, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    you could remove the broken half shaft...but then youre going to be leaking gear oil all over the trail as you drive out...and yes...you'll need tools...and remove the wheel and undo the spindle/lca before you can pull the shaft out...

with manual locking hubs you just go *click*

20. Dec 31, 2008 at 9:30 AM
    jwscoot

jwscoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississauga, ON
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma v6 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around, add a leaf in the rear
    I'm not saying to fully remove it, but pull the shaft and joint (2 sides)(assuming it's broken completely)from the stub end (piece thats splined both sides) that would still be engaged into the diff (therefor stopping any fliud loss) and the other side would still be bolted through the hub bearing keeping it from seperating.

Products Discussed in

To Top