Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Manual locking hubs

Old 12-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
Manual locking hubs

Why do people say that manual locking hubs are better for off roading? Is there truth to it or are they maybe jealous that I dont have to get out of my seat to put it in 4x4?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Only really good thing I see about manual locking hubs is that you can disengage the front axles, less wear and tear on C.V's and some say better MPG, as for better off road IDK
Old 12-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Are you Recreationally Insane?
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brant Luckow
mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Because when you break a axle shaft, you have to change it to keep driving. Your truck is basically dead in the water without another shaft to put in. But with manual hubs, you can unlock the hub and put in in two wheel drive and still drive home. But on the older taco's the manual hub cv shafts necked down and ultimately made those shafts weaker than the ones with automatic hubs. Basically there is nothing automatic about it, they are just always in. Don't worry though, for the '05+ you don't have a choice of even going to manual hub so just carry spare cv shafts and have fun.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
manual hubs reduce wear on parts like the cvs when you disengage them while not in 4wd etc etc

plus...with manual hubs...if you bust something in the front end...you can unlock the hub and continue out of the trail or whatnot without necessarily having to be towed out
Old 12-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
i see i see...i have this incredibly competitive friend that always tries to find reasons what makes his anything better than mine. lately its been about trucks since i just bought a new taco, he drives a 99 ford f350 turbo diesel 4x4 (its a company truck its not even his). he was bragging about his manual hubs, i was just happy that i didnt have to get out in the snow/slush to go into 4x4...
Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatHLC128 View Post
i see i see...i have this incredibly competitive friend that always tries to find reasons what makes his anything better than mine. lately its been about trucks since i just bought a new taco, he drives a 99 ford f350 turbo diesel 4x4 (its a company truck its not even his). he was bragging about his manual hubs, i was just happy that i didnt have to get out in the snow/slush to go into 4x4...
I had a 1995 F150 that came with auto hubs. After breaking 3 sets of them I swapped out to manual hubs and never had a problem after that.

I recently got a 2006 F250 with manual hubs. I'm happy they're manual instead of automatic after my past experiences.

The Toyota is the only truck I've had where the auto hubs haven't snapped on me.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
College.

im not too worried about snapping mine, i have a hard enough time finding somewhere to play off road here in ny. even when i do im too scared to do much with the truck being all new and me really having no idea how to drive off road.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:43 PM   #8
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I see on the all pro web site the white Tacoma with there hybrid bumper has manual hubs. It would be possible to do. Probably get the parts off a 1st gen taco. Another good thing about manual hubs is there serviceable bearings, not unit bearings.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
mr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedmr.trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
I see on the all pro web site the white Tacoma with there hybrid bumper has manual hubs. It would be possible to do. Probably get the parts off a 1st gen taco. Another good thing about manual hubs is there serviceable bearings, not unit bearings.
No, that is a Weld center cap. the two different body styles would not be interchangable. The new truck has completely different spindles than the older one. If they offered manual hubs on the 4runner or the FJ then it would be possible. But so far it is not possible and warn is not going to making a kit. At least that is what they said at SEMA this year.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
^^ Well that sucks then haha, I was hoping to do a manual hub conversion one day. I guess I'll just have to do a solid axle swap to get my manual hubs!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #12
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I read somewhere that early ADD systems would actually come out of 4X4 when put into reverse. So if you are stuck, throw it into "R" to try and get un-stuck the bam, no 4X4. I have the manual hubs on my 99, I just lock them before I wheel and unlock them when I get home. I just wish I had an e locker or an ARB. I could buy an ARB but I would miss a house payment. Possibly a bailout from the government to get an ARB? Will look into that............
Old 12-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #13

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
mr.trd, that would be a mean setup for sure! Your truck looks too nice yet to do that to tho. I was just talking about a yota front axle haha.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 AM   #14

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
I read somewhere that early ADD systems would actually come out of 4X4 when put into reverse. So if you are stuck, throw it into "R" to try and get un-stuck the bam, no 4X4. I have the manual hubs on my 99, I just lock them before I wheel and unlock them when I get home. I just wish I had an e locker or an ARB. I could buy an ARB but I would miss a house payment. Possibly a bailout from the government to get an ARB? Will look into that............
My '98 never came out of 4x4 when I had it ADD. And I only broke one cv the whole time I wheeled it ADD. And that was with 4.10's and 35's. Then I did a manual hub conversion, 4.88's, and a lockright up front. Then I started breaking cv shafts left and right. All a matter of leverage. But if it would have ever came out of 4x4 in reverse I think the snow wheeling would have shown that cause I would have been really screwed, ALOT! I think that was just internet miss-information you read.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:12 AM   #15

mr.trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjay View Post
mr.trd, that would be a mean setup for sure! Your truck looks too nice yet to do that to tho. I was just talking about a yota front axle haha.
Too nice, thanks but, this truck has been through it all already. To me there is no such thing as too nice. I bought the truck so that I could wheel with the whole family, so that is what I will do. If I wanted to wheel the nasty stuff alone I would have kept my '98 taco. Which is what I bought the axles for initially. Then I said why put them under a truck that the whole family can't fit into, so off that truck went and in came a d-cab. But thanks. And it really isn't as nice as it looks when you get up close, it has alot of natures pinstriping!!! I found out really fast that black isn't near as forgiving as white in that department.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #16
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/autohub/

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking about this, The Auto Hub, I guess it wasn't a success. The ADD came after the Auto Hub.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
I broke a cv axle on my 91 toy and thank goodness for manuel hubs. You can't go wrong. Plus saving your front end parts!
Old 12-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #18
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
I'm new to this. I don't understand why you couldn't drive out in 2wd with ADD... I understand the unlock and lock of the manual hubs, but if you snapped a shaft in the ADD system, couldn't you just pull the pieces of shaft and u-joints/grease boots from the stub ends in the diff and hub and then drive out? you wouldn't even need a tool?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwscoot View Post
I'm new to this. I don't understand why you couldn't drive out in 2wd with ADD... I understand the unlock and lock of the manual hubs, but if you snapped a shaft in the ADD system, couldn't you just pull the pieces of shaft and u-joints/grease boots from the stub ends in the diff and hub and then drive out? you wouldn't even need a tool?
you could remove the broken half shaft...but then youre going to be leaking gear oil all over the trail as you drive out...and yes...you'll need tools...and remove the wheel and undo the spindle/lca before you can pull the shaft out...

with manual locking hubs you just go *click*
Old 12-31-2008, 09:30 AM   #20
jwscoot has a spectacular aura aboutjwscoot has a spectacular aura about

jwscoot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you could remove the broken half shaft...but then youre going to be leaking gear oil all over the trail as you drive out...and yes...you'll need tools...and remove the wheel and undo the spindle/lca before you can pull the shaft out...

with manual locking hubs you just go *click*
I'm not saying to fully remove it, but pull the shaft and joint (2 sides)(assuming it's broken completely)from the stub end (piece thats splined both sides) that would still be engaged into the diff (therefor stopping any fliud loss) and the other side would still be bolted through the hub bearing keeping it from seperating.