Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off-Road GPS

Old 06-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #21
Up is difficult. Down is dangerous.
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Guy
GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleSnake44 View Post
Looking into doing this. What kind of mount is that? And do you have the mount there all the time or is it easily removed?
Thanks
It's a RAM mount, uses a suction cup. Its been very stable and easy to remove.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #22
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RattleSnake44's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Thanks. Just downloaded the Motion X App. Gonna give it a try. Am I correct in understanding that you don't have to have the cellular "on" on the iPad for it to still function? With real time tracking?
Old 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #23
GuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyHuey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice. Thanks. Just downloaded the Motion X App. Gonna give it a try. Am I correct in understanding that you don't have to have the cellular "on" on the iPad for it to still function? With real time tracking?
Correct, I have and iPad 2 64gb 3g. The GPS chip is built into the 3g, but you don't need the data plan turned on. I use mine all the time in the woods, real time tracking on the map is nice.

Guy
Old 06-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #24
RattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRattleSnake44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sweet. I have the same iPad. I've been exhausting my interwebz search engine trying to find a GPS that would do the stuff I wanted. Now I find out that the very device I was searching with will do the work. Awesome.

Also, I'm an idiot. 😜
Old 06-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #26

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Here's how it looks without the iPad installed. They use the same part number for all the iPad's so it use to have little rubber spacers but one of my kids picked them off, now it has felt spacers.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #27
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for reference
Old 06-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #28

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
This shows a screen shot of a track. You can add and name way-points anytime. You can navigate to way-points or just enter a longitude and latitude.

Can you tell I'm board, been raining for a few days here in "sunny" Florida.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #29

You're boredom = my learning
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
The light was yellow, Sir.
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up congrats

Quote:

It might take some time to download the map sets, depends on how many tiles are in the set. You can't have more than 100,000 tiles in a given set. I define a set and let it download overnight. If it doesn't finish, you can pause and resume later.

You can access the user manual from within the app but I found it handy to download the PDF to another machine so I could reference while playing with the iPad.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #31

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridaw View Post

It might take some time to download the map sets, depends on how many tiles are in the set. You can't have more than 100,000 tiles in a given set. I define a set and let it download overnight. If it doesn't finish, you can pause and resume later.

You can access the user manual from within the app but I found it handy to download the PDF to another machine so I could reference while playing with the iPad.
Nice, downloaded the manual.

Guy,
Old 06-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyHuey View Post
It's a RAM mount, uses a suction cup. Its been very stable and easy to remove.

Ordered it yesterday. I'll post some pics when I get it set up. Thanks again for the info, I've been messing with the Motion X app and I've already got a bunch of maps set up and ready to go. Now I just need a few days off work to head out and try it 😜.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #33

GuyHuey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ordered it yesterday. I'll post some pics when I get it set up. Thanks again for the info, I've been messing with the Motion X app and I've already got a bunch of maps set up and ready to go. Now I just need a few days off work to head out and try it 😜.
Nice, I think you'll like it.

Guy,
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 PM   #34
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
we use a Garmin DAKOTA 20 when we go ATVing.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #35
Palehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPalehorse1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Palehorse1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
So, an Iphone or Ipad can still track your progress on GPS when out of cell reception?

If that's true, then it to sounds to me like the iPad is a Lowrance killer...
Sorta, if you had constant WiFi connectivity then it might be able to track you as well but those are somewhat rare no matter where you are. What lots of people assume you already know is that the broadband equipped iPads also come with the GPS chip in them. Hence lots of recomendations to find a broadband iPad and forgo the monthly data plan if you don't require it.

The WiFi only iPads can also be used to perform progress tracks but you will have to either tether it to a broadband connected device, perform the superhuman feat of keeping it constantly connected to a WiFi source, or simply buy a hardware GPS dongle for it such as the Bad Elf that plugs into your iDevices sync port.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #36

Just to confirm:
I'm in London, United Kingdom right now, on a iPad 2 64gb w/3G. No cellular /data package paid for. Fired up the Motion X app and with the "airplane" mode turned OFF, it was able to use the GPS chip to find my position. I had used wifi earlier to download a local map, so it was quick to pinpoint my location and easily gave me real time tracking.
So, a $1.99 app just did the work of a GPS that could have potentially cost me hundreds $$.
Nice.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #37
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Call me Rocco
619Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm hoping GuyHuey & Bridaw can chime in on this question of mine. Anybody else for that matter. It just seems like the two of you have lots of experience with MotionX GPS app. I realize you both have the Ipad versions, and I have the Iphone App but I think the functions are the same.

So here is the thing... I find the app very confusing. I'm going on a camping trip in Mexico in a few weeks and we'll be driving through the desert for 30+ miles. I want to save a map (tiles) of the region we'll be driving through and have that layered by a gpx map I have created with waypoints (shown under Tracks on app).

In essence, what I want is to be able to when offline (no service) see a map of the desert area i'll be driving through while at the same time see the line/waypoints I have created to ensure I am following the correct road.

Please help!
Thank you to anybody who chimes in.

FYI- I've already downloaded the map/tiles of the desert area. I've also already downloaded the GPX map I created onto the app/phone. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's possible to view both of these together. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #38
MojaveMadman is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: Chris
MojaveMadman's Tacoma Gallery
I use Motion-X HD, its great!!! I go on Google Earth, lay out all my way points on the computer and figure out my path. You can even lay out the track you want to follow conecting all the way points. Then I use a converter (can remember which program) to convert the file to a freindly format for Motion-X, then email it to myself and Motion-X will recognize it and allow you to load it to the app. Then I do as others mentioned, and download the area I will be travelling in, and I am ready to go. I have used it on my iPhone with good sucess and also my iPad for a larger format. For the hobbiest like us, it's about as good as it gets without spending big bucks on a large GPS.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #39
Baja bound
619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed619Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did all of what you mentioned. Mapped out the path I need to take in google maps (but it doesn't matter really). Converted it to app-friendly GPX format. I downloaded both the track (and I can see it under the 'tracks' function) as well as downloaded the part of the desert i'll be traveling through (where I created the course I need to follow).

My question is; how do I go about viewing the offline map as well as the course I uploaded at the same time? Will it do it automatically once I'm out of data service? Will it just show the areas of the map that I've downloaded?

Thanks for your reply btw!
I tried using this app for a Baja race last year but it didn't work because my dumbass put my phone on airplane mode so it killed my GPS as well.. which I didn't know at the time.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #40
Baja bound

It's difficult for me to test it because I can't shut off the cell/data signal without cutting my GPS as well (airplane mode) to see if my map download works. I mean it says I downloaded "ABC" map and I can see it on the map function. But I can also see the rest of the map - which I didn't download.

I guess i'll have to visit some family down south of the border this weekend and try it out there. I've read of how great the app is, I was just very dissappointed last time I tried using it because it didn't work for me - granted it was my lack of knowledge of the app. And that's my thing, it can be confusing.